Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There were 5 new coaches hired this year:
-Matt Rhule
-Kevin Stefanski
-Joe Judge
-Ron Rivera
-Mike McCarthy
Did we get the best one or is there someone you would have rather have. Did Jerry just go for a name hire instead of the best candidate or is the best name also the best candidate. My feelings are that just moving on from Garrett is an upgrade but I also think that McCarthy brings the experience to a team that is ready to take it to the next level. Rhule is interesting but he is gonna have a learning curve as is Judge. What say you?
This is a good question for next off season. Maybe even two years from now. I like the MM hire a lot. But it’s hard to tell now who the best hire has been without any on-field results yet.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
-Matt Rhule
-Kevin Stefanski
-Joe Judge
-Ron Rivera
-Mike McCarthy
Did we get the best one or is there someone you would have rather have. Did Jerry just go for a name hire instead of the best candidate or is the best name also the best candidate. My feelings are that just moving on from Garrett is an upgrade but I also think that McCarthy brings the experience to a team that is ready to take it to the next level. Rhule is interesting but he is gonna have a learning curve as is Judge. What say you?
You gave Ron Rivera a defense, the 2nd overall pick in the draft with the top overall player in the draft, running backs, and 2 young QBs. He can coach up a team so its within his reach to turn around Washington.

But this will be answered at the end of the season. However, Rivera has a good start.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
McFatty was the best head coaching choice Jerry could have made, outside of bringing Jimmy back of course.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
-Matt Rhule
-Kevin Stefanski
-Joe Judge
-Ron Rivera
-Mike McCarthy

Hard to answer, but only one of them is a proven Super Bowl winner.

gimmesix

Reaction score
McFatty was the best head coaching choice Jerry could have made, outside of bringing Jimmy back of course.

Best coaching decision for us for sure. We needed a proven coach whom the Joneses would trust to run the show instead of feeling like they have to micromanage him. That's when this team has been its best under Jerry the GM.

gimmesix

Reaction score
There's only two that have been NFL head coaches, and the other has also been to the super bowl(with a much worse QB).... so hanging your hat on one SB ring over the others means almost nothing.

Can we throw in three other NFC Championship Game appearances vs. none?

Cebrin

Reaction score
Time will tell if we have the best hire but I know for sure we had the best fire!
I hope you're right. Garrett was a likeable guy, but I just never trusted him in today's NFL. I certainly hope it's the difference maker.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
2 on that list are completely useless. Will not be a HC in 2 years. 1 might be a real good coach but you just don’t know for sure because he never did it in the NFL. One guy has a hurdle so low because he is coming into a situation where the team has sucked forever. He won’t hurt his reputation no matter the outcome. The other guy was a successful coach for a long time and is coming into a really good situation. Prior regime was a steamy pile of cow crap. I like that guy.

Verdict

Reaction score
You think in that 37th year Garrett is gonna change it up and fool everyone.

Garrett is a smart guy. You would think that he will reflect back and change some things about his coaching after having time to reflect on it.

Hindsight helps make a better coach as long as they are willing to learn from their mistakes.

Texas2Step41

Reaction score
I hope you're right. Garrett was a likeable guy, but I just never trusted him in today's NFL. I certainly hope it's the difference maker.
Likeable? https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS1tPB-pEz5EEon8D18HpBqYNGEWu3PvaOcLEZUviFDQkvrNACs&usqp=CAU

plasticman

Reaction score
How do we know?

The next couple of seasons will undoubtedly answer that question.

Here is the question....How many HC's with a Championship moved to another team and won another championship?

None. There has never been a HC that won a Super Bowl with one team and then went on to win a Super Bowl for another team.

There has been 5 HC's that took 2 different teams to the Super Bowl........Don Shula, Dan Reeves, Dick Vermiel, Mike Holmgrem. and Andy Ried. Shula, Vermiel, and Ried all lost with their first team, won with their second. Holmgrem won with his first team, lost with his second. Reeves lost with both teams.

If McCarthy wins a SB as the Cowboy HC then it would be the first time in NFL history that a HC won the SB with two different teams.

MikeB80

Reaction score
How do we know?

The next couple of seasons will undoubtedly answer that question.

Here is the question....How many HC's with a Championship moved to another team and won another championship?

None. There has never been a HC that won a Super Bowl with one team and then went on to win a Super Bowl for another team.

There has been 5 HC's that took 2 different teams to the Super Bowl........Don Shula, Dan Reeves, Dick Vermiel, Mike Holmgrem. and Andy Ried. Shula, Vermiel, and Ried all lost with their first team, won with their second. Holmgrem won with his first team, lost with his second. Reeves lost with both teams.

If McCarthy wins a SB as the Cowboy HC then it would be the first time in NFL history that a HC won the SB with two different teams.

Bill Parcells won two super bowls with the giants, lost to the packers while the head coach of the Patriots and almost got the Jets to the super bowl in 98 losing to one of the all time great teams in the 1998 denver broncos.

Marty Schottenheimer should have made a super bowl with cleveland and Kansas city and just came up short in both cities.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-Matt Rhule
-Kevin Stefanski
-Joe Judge
-Ron Rivera
-Mike McCarthy
McCarthy - if for no other reason than he is a true head coach with proven NFL success.
He takes over a team with a heck of a lot of good talent and in dire need of stability and direction.
Rivera also has successes but I am not sure the necessary talent is there, and, there is always Dan Snyder to keep things interesting.
The others will be interesting to watch, but are unknowns
Stefanski - never been a head coach, so unknown.
Joe Judge - never been a head coach, but his pedigree is good.
Matt Rhule - never been a head coach on NFL level, but improved his NCAA teams as HC. Mizzou wanted him, but his Baylor teams lost big games.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Plus the other option was the jones boys were going to not do what you would, but keep jg and all staff except the DC and def coaches.
That was the plan before they talked to mike.
There has never been a time I wanted to see the team fail, but last year's result couldn't have worked out better - out with the old and busted; in with the new and improved!

plasticman

Reaction score
Bill Parcells won two super bowls with the giants, lost to the packers while the head coach of the Patriots and almost got the Jets to the super bowl in 98 losing to one of the all time great teams in the 1998 denver broncos.

Marty Schottenheimer should have made a super bowl with cleveland and Kansas city and just came up short in both cities.

Yep, I forgot about Bill's run with the Patriots.

As far as Schottenheimer.....coulda, woulda, shoulda.....didn't.

Tom Landry was five plays away from winning five more championships, every championship loss was by less than a score and the Cowboys had the opportunity to make that play but didn't.

You could build a case for Jason Garrett "almost" getting to the Super Bowl.....the Dez Bryant catch that wasn't........tied with the Packers with only 35 seconds to go after being behind by 18 points.....but it didn't happen and that is the same as losing by 50 points.

No HC in the history of the NFL has won a Super Bowl with two different teams. We are hoping that McCarthy will be the first.