Twitter: Best offense in the NFL?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
IMHO, the problem with our offense is playcalling in the RZ. We’re top 3 between the 20’s, but...

I am 100% in agreement here. The red zone play calling since Moore took over has been atrocious. Hopefully McCarthy will take a more active role in it and reel in all the gimmicky crap he calls down there going forward.

ESisback

Reaction score
I am 100% in agreement here. The red zone play calling since Moore took over has been atrocious. Hopefully McCarthy will take a more active role in it and reel in all the gimmicky crap he calls down there going forward.
First and goal at the 5, and you run empty sets? When your top 5 OL and RB both regress, the pass happy folks try to get cute. Plus, passing supports rating$ for the shortsighted “modern” folks.

Just a theory.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The best offense should score highly throughout a game and move the ball consistently (statistically) throughout a game. They must take leads when the game is tightly contested. They must score at the most critical moments. They must be able to score lots of points when needed. They must not turn the ball over much. They must do that all season long (save a 1-3 games). MOST IMPORTANTLY, they must do it against the best competition, biggest games, and especially in the playoffs. End rant.

I don't think anyone would argue that the offense must come through in critical times and against all competition. The thinking here is that they CAN step up. Obviously they need to stay healthy but the QB should be ready to take the next step, the OC should be better, the line should be back healthy so I think they will be fine. The problem with Moore is that he inherited some of Garrett's paint-by-numbers approach to offensive play calling. He plugs the down and distance and field position into the formula then chooses the play to call. Then he and the QB have to adapt to what the defense shows when they get to the line. Over the years Garrett developed a better feel but frankly even he was never great at it .. we just reached a point with the line, Romo, Murray and Dez and then the line, Dak and Zeke where the talent was so good his stupid play call could not screw it up. The guys would score anyway. Now as age and injuries have taken the o-line down a couple of notches we can't simply count on the talent to just dominate our way into the end zone. So the paint by numbers approach isn't going to work. We can no longer play checkers when other teams are playing chess. That's gonna be on Kellen Moore.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Let's look at that. In 2019, when our offense was healthy, we scored 10 points in a 12-10 loss to New Orleans, 9 points in a 13-9 loss to New England, 15 points in a 26-15 loss to Buffalo and 9 points in a 17-9 loss to Philly. Those are all losses where the offense was more at blame than the defense.

The Saints gave up an average of 23.1 points per game (13th overall). The Patriots gave up an average of 14.1 points per game (1st). The Bills gave up 16.2 points per game (16th). The Eagles gave up 22,1 points per game (15th).

Now, if you consider us to have one of the top offenses in the league, then we should do better than average against even the better defenses (and some of these defenses were just average in points allowed). To have the type of offense that can carry a mediocre defense, we can't struggle to score points in games like these. Granted, the conditions in New England were terrible and we did score 37 against the Eagles in the first meeting, but we scored 17-20 points and we win three of those and finish 11-5.
This is exactly what I've been saying but love is blind when it comes to Dak and his followers.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Daks gonna disappoint you! But don't worry I will be there to kick sand in your face and remind you how Dak ain't as good as you think. Go Cowboys!
I'm sure you'll be rooting for that to happen. You're a sad person.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm sure you'll be rooting for that to happen. You're a sad person.

No worries.. we will be here to laugh at all of them when Dak comes out slingin and lights the league up this year like he was doing last year before he got hurt. It seems to cause these people physical pain for him to be so good. So those of us who actually like the Cowboys can revel in their pain as he balls out.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
No worries.. we will be here to laugh at all of them when Dak comes out slingin and lights the league up this year like he was doing last year before he got hurt. It seems to cause these people physical pain for him to be so good. So those of us who actually like the Cowboys can revel in their pain as he balls out.
That we will my friend.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This is exactly what I've been saying but love is blind when it comes to Dak and his followers.

It's not really about Dak, though. Just like it wasn't about Romo. Garrett's conservatism forced the offense to have to be better one-on-one than every defense it faced because he rarely schemed mismatches. IMO, that particularly hurt the offense against top defenses because if you play them straight up, you lose your advantage. We have hardly ever had the type of defense we need for the creative advantage to not be necessary.

Funny thing is, I believe I saw more creativity by Garrett against us as the Giants' offensive coordinator than I ever saw from him here. As a head coach, he just never seemed to believe in its necessity.

With McCarthy, I hoped that we would get a blend of scheming advantages as well as having top talent. Of course, the talent became a problem with all the injuries we had last year. I did think after Dak when down that Moore made some creative decisions as a play-caller, but that was out of necessity. The question is whether we will display that creativity with the offense back intact.

If we do, I think we have a chance at having the best offense. If we play conservatively, then we're going to need a much better defensive effort to have a shot at reaching the Super Bowl. Like under Garrett, we can reach the playoffs facing a weak schedule without a creative offense and with a shoddy defense, but we wouldn't be able to outgun the playoff teams.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It starts with the O-line. If they are clicking, all things are possible. The running game works and Dak can fully utilize all his weapons. If that doesn't intimidate defenses, nothing will. It's just that simple.

Hadenough

Reaction score
It's not really about Dak, though. Just like it wasn't about Romo. Garrett's conservatism forced the offense to have to be better one-on-one than every defense it faced because he rarely schemed mismatches. IMO, that particularly hurt the offense against top defenses because if you play them straight up, you lose your advantage. We have hardly ever had the type of defense we need for the creative advantage to not be necessary.

Funny thing is, I believe I saw more creativity by Garrett against us as the Giants' offensive coordinator than I ever saw from him here. As a head coach, he just never seemed to believe in its necessity.

With McCarthy, I hoped that we would get a blend of scheming advantages as well as having top talent. Of course, the talent became a problem with all the injuries we had last year. I did think after Dak when down that Moore made some creative decisions as a play-caller, but that was out of necessity. The question is whether we will display that creativity with the offense back intact.

If we do, I think we have a chance at having the best offense. If we play conservatively, then we're going to need a much better defensive effort to have a shot at reaching the Super Bowl. Like under Garrett, we can reach the playoffs facing a weak schedule without a creative offense and with a shoddy defense, but we wouldn't be able to outgun the playoff teams.
I like what you wrote and agree with the whole coaching and creating mismatches. I really wish Jerry would of canned Garrett for Kyle Shanahan right after he led that Falcons offense to a SB. Romo had the talent physically but mentally he would make bad choices at crucial moments. Dak lacks the physical talent but he mentally knows his limitations and makes less mistakes. He doesn't have the ability to throw that quick slant in traffic in the RedZone. He just isnt accurate and doesn't trust his arm.
He is serviceable to people in the stands and build hope for some fans but he is on par with Cousins. But the whole organization culture stinks because of Jerry.