Best Quartbacks in NFL History Tier List

12+88=7

Reaction score
It's amazing how posters that have no knowledge of a player automatically dismiss them because they believe they know everything about the sport. But they're just clueless and don't even realize it. Totally oblivious.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one of the worst rankings I've seen in a while. sogfootball? What is that ?

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting ........Marino with no ring on tier 2 and Aikman with three on tier 3, same as Eli Manning. As good as he is, P Mahomes on the list is a bit premature.

FV4zFncWAAEIsZf
<mod hat> Image requires link to entity posting it.

<member hat> Roger Staubach? Tier 4?

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

With the exception of Donovan McNabb, no quarterback listed should fall below some mystical Tier 3. And a counter-argument could be made that even he should not slip below some "Tier 3."

There can be honest debate where these quarterbacks fall between three tiers. However, parsing these quarterbacks among three tiers that do not apply is foolishness personified.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Tier 1: Brady, Peyton, Montana

Brady has been successful longer due to advanced sports medicine, but he wasn’t a better player in his prime than either of those 2

Tier 2: Marino, Unitas, Elway, Young, Rodgers, Staubach

You can add in whichever pre-1960’s QBs you want, but that’s an impossible comparison

Tier 3: Brees, Baugh, Kelly, Favre, Starr, Mahomes, Warner, Bradshaw

Brees accomplished surprisingly little for how crazy his stats are. He’s Brett Favre with less turnovers.

Team results shouldn’t define an individual player, but thats the imperfect world we live in. Dan Fouts would be regarded very differently on these all time lists if he got drafted somewhere better than San Diego.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Interesting ........Marino with no ring on tier 2 and Aikman with three on tier 3, same as Eli Manning. As good as he is, P Mahomes on the list is a bit premature.

FV4zFncWAAEIsZf
Great illustration that rating QB’s isn’t always about winning championships. There’s a couple tweaks I’d make but overall solid list.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If you guys dont like the list. you should make your own!!!!!!!!!
and you have to have the cute pictures too!

we could take this list and modify it, and add or subtract.

The main thing wrong with this list is the tiers, for this type of list you dont need tiers.
it should be a top 25 list or something and my guy dandy don should be in it.
I would even slip romo in lol.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Team results shouldn’t define an individual player, but thats the imperfect world we live in. Dan Fouts would be regarded very differently on these all time lists if he got drafted somewhere better than San Diego.
Wait. Where is Fouts in relation to your tiers?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
yeah it iz about the qb not the team, john hadl before fouts was also great, and roman gabriel for the rams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you guys dont like the list. you should make your own!!!!!!!!!
and you have to have the cute pictures too!

we could take this list and modify it, and add or subtract.

The main thing wrong with this list is the tiers, for this type of list you dont need tiers.
it should be a top 25 list or something and my guy dandy don should be in it.
I would even slip romo in lol.
Ultimately the HOF recognizes great QB as they do all players.

All you can be is one of the greats of your era. These other comparisons don’t mean anything. Just for fans to brag or squabble about.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Wait. Where is Fouts in relation to your tiers?

Probably in 4 or 5, it starts to get muddled after those first 3. But my point is he’s likely a tier 3 QB if Dallas had him, or Pittsburgh or Denver, despite being the same QB… simply because of the perception that the team winning or not defines him as a player

Last edited:

perrykemp

Reaction score
In no universe is Otto Graham better than Aikman and Staubach.

Otto Graham's career QB rating was 86.6... and he played in the 1950s!!!! when defenses could mug the living heck out WRs. Troy Aikman's career QB rating playing 30 years later was 5 points less at 81.6.

Otto Graham had 5 seasons where his QB rating was above 90 and two seasons where his QB rating was above 100. Troy Aikman had exactly 1 season where his QB rating was above 90.

Otto Graham was a 7 time 1st Team All Pro QB, I don't think Aikman was ever a 1st team Pro.

I think Aikman was great however to say in no universe was Otto Graham better than Aikman just doesn't jive with reality.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
yeah it iz about the qb not the team, john hadl before fouts was also great, and roman gabriel for the rams.
It’s partly the medias fault for attaching winning championships as only measurement of greatness.

Much like we attach Gold medals as the only measurement in Olympics . You have to beat out thousands to reach the Olympics . And to even place a medal is truly a tremendous achievement.

quickccc

Reaction score

Although Mahomes is already in the NFL record books, ..he's already been an NFL MVP ... and he's already won a Super Bowl. ..and been in two of them.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
I wish they would actually rank these in terms of skill and not just in terms of how you did in your era of competition.

Otto Graham?
Joe Namath?
Sid Luckman?
N.V. Brocklin?
Sammy Baugh?

They should be their own lists. There's back ups in the NFL today that would dominate in their time periods.

P.S. Joe Namath is the most overrated football player ever.

That is a "stone cold" fact about Namath! Dude's numbers were atrocious.