Best roster excluding QB?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Rosters minus QB1:
SF> KC> DAL

QB: Mahomes of course. Dak 2nd but big gap.
DL: Micah by a hair--Jones is sorta old(29). Bosa is 2 years older(26) and likely maxed out.
OL: Creed Humphrey perhaps. He and Tyler are only true considerations. Trent . JKelce and Tyron are 8000 yards old. Zack was really good but outplayed by 22 year old Tyler.
RB: CMC
WR: Aiyuk had 1350 yards as a 25-year-old with a pop gun arm QB. Slight lean over CeeDee.
TE: Kittle as Travis is arguably the GOAT but is old as dirt. Jake could take this as soon as next year!
LB: Anyone but the Cowboys? Warner is only 27 but feels like he has dominated us for a decade.
CB: Diggs and Bland if healthy is best pairing. But McDuffie(1) and Ward(2) might get nod this year ahead of Bland.
S: Hufanga is actually underrated.
K: Dallas YAY we got 1!!!!!

But again it isn't about the non-Pat stars. It is about how you fill out the roster.
The 49ers had average to above average guys almost everywhere.
They didn't have a bottom 10 OT or a bottom 10 LB.
Thus, the overall nod.

Dallas FO has strengths and weaknesses. The biggest weakness has been a foundational belief that some positions can be duct taped for 25 cents. See DT and S for years. Can add Center.
But they also are willing to rely on either injured vets and/or rookies. See Overshown/LVE.
Maybe that is unfair but 3 actual LB on a roster is kinda dumb.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Kinda off subject but the decline of Martin is really huge. Any word if was he dealing with any injury, mentally because of the contract stuff or just age. For a guard he’s not that old to have such a sudden decline to me
Was injured last year.
Fought through that to a large extent which can cause injuries to linger.
Wouldn't say the decline is that insane at all; he just isn't as physically as Tyler. Not as big and not as strong. Tyler is 6'6" and 332 piounds.
Zack was still good last year!!! He just wasn't best in league great as he has been at times.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Id trade Parsons for C. Jones, an elite DT is worth more than an elite DE
You couldn’t be more wrong. Edge rushers are the second most coveted position in football next to the QB. Several DE’s have been drafted number one overall. Not nearly as many DT’s have gone first overall. It’s all about pressuring the QB these days or they’ll carve you up. Teams are loading up with pass rushers.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What if the Cowboys and Niners were able to clone Mahomes?

Which one would be the best team?

Bonus questions:
You can pick a player at each position from any of these 3 rosters:
Cowboys
KC
Niners

It must be #1 vs #1 and #2 vs #2.
- You can't take both Parsons and Bosa.
- If you take Chris Jones you can't have Javon Hargrave.
- The team wil play a "4-3" (4-2-5) defense.

My Answer:
KC: Mahomes, Kelce, maybe Chris Jones.

Cowboys: Tyler Smith

Niners: All other positions.

Reasons:
Bosa mentally better than Parsons.
CeeDee has a loser's mentality.
Zack Martin too old. Huge decline in 2023.

Considered DLaw at #2 DE vs KC's or SF's #2 DE but stench of HotBoyz still too strong...

Is Bland better than the other team's #2 CB?
That's too convoluted in my opinion however this is what I would do how about this how about we put the switch same teams except for the quarterbacks Prescott goes to the 49ers last year and Brock Purdy plays this year with the Cowboys how much you wanna bet they still make the Super bowl with Prescott?

It's obviously and clearly they have a better roster by how much I don't know we could split hairs on it but I don't feel like really taking the time at this juncture to breakdown every player and compare him to every one of our players obviously they have a better running back and pretty equal at wide receiver better linebackers but I couldn't even tell you who their safeties are so maybe that's a wash without hearing from her I think their offensive line might be slightly better because of the age of ours but really I think it might be close but we can get the slight edge to them on offensive line few weeks.. They're obviously the better team that's why Brock Purdy flourished you took a couple players off him he goes on a three-game losing streak....

Anyway I'll bookmark this and come back later but that's my thoughts just off the top of my head without a lot of deep thinking....​

blueblood70

Reaction score
Chiefs have an elite QB, head coach, TE, O-line and defense. Why do people act like they have nothing?
Right and they're running back regardless if he's a seventh round pick is a really good running back.... Pretty sure one of their corners or is it their safeties that are considered elite as well they have a guy i can't remember he's up for a big contract... I mean if you watch the Super bowl they used a strong run game with a physical offensive defensive line and even made a special teams play if I remember right to make sure they stayed in that game in the second-half but two years in a row they used the run game and played very conservative football but very physical in the second-half to win both those Super Bowls...

Now wide receiver Kansas City doesn't really have a lot that's where you can get away with that with Patrick mahomes but it's not like Amy reeds leaving him hanging out there with nothing else you're right he they have a really solid defense but in the trenches are one of the best teams in the NFL... So when you add the play calling and design scheming and adjustments in the game by their coaching staff yeah I mean nobody's calling them lacking in talent...

I mean look at all the big games this year they're gonna go back to the quarterback and blame Prescott and whatnot here there's not a lot of teams I don't care who the quarterback is maybe not even Patrick mahomes that's gonna win when your defense looks like that all 5 losses in the regular season could be contributed to really bad defense and in the playoffs 5 to 7 touchdowns yeah I don't think that that's what Lamar Jackson or Patrick mahomes had to play with in the playoffs I saw some good defenses and yeah our offense didn't play well but I saw a lot of first half like Patrick mahomes offense took time to get going and their special teams and defense made sure they stayed and kept the game close and then let him do his thing in the end but no way he was left out on an island playing by himself...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Last year I'd say 49'rs but I don't know for this upcoming year.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
You couldn’t be more wrong. Edge rushers are the second most coveted position in football next to the QB. Several DE’s have been drafted number one overall. Not nearly as many DT’s have gone first overall. It’s all about pressuring the QB these days or they’ll carve you up. Teams are loading up with pass rushers.
sure but ours has been a ghost these playoffs

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
In theory, you are correct and definitely about the covetousness.
The best edge rushers are who?
And does that follow on the field results??

You might have to go back to Von Miller to find a true top edge rusher that has won a title.

The best 4 this year (according to NFL DMVP) were TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, Micah Parsons. Maxx Crosby.
They combined for what 0 playoff wins?

At some point; we might need to deep dive the analytics and see if sacks and pressures are just massively overrated.

But many QBs absolutely detest nasty DTs because they take away the step up and get in their face so fast.
The ability to wreck run games plus impact QBs is lethal for sure.
More than Edge? IDK, but worth investigating.
Especially as teams start to stack 5-6 edges and rotate through them each game.

shabazz

Reaction score
Phony Jerry and his idiot son are convinced they have a future Super Bowl QB in Dak, and they're anxious to ruin the team to prove it. :omg:
Additionally these two Football Experts bought into the Bull-Jive that we had an all world defense as well

Arizona committed a hate crime on our defense and the FO Frauds did nothing at the trade deadline to address it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

You might have to go back to Von Miller to find a true top edge rusher that has won a title.

The best 4 this year (according to NFL DMVP) were TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, Micah Parsons. Maxx Crosby.

At some point; we might need to deep dive the analytics and see if sacks and pressures are just massively overrated.

But many QBs absolutely detest nasty DTs because they take away the step up and get in their face so fast.
Edge rushers definitely lead to on the field success, but you won’t win a championship if you’re having QB issues. It still comes down to the QB but the only way you can contain them is with a pass rush. Von Miller won a title with Demarcus Ware and Peyton Manning as the QB. Miller and DWare made life miserable for Cam Newton in the Super Bowl. If you go through the history of the draft, there’s been a bunch of DE’s drafted number one overall. The number is far bigger than with DT’s. The Cowboys actually drafted a DT number one overall Russell, Maryland, but it was the addition of Charles Haley rushing the QB that put us over the top.

There’s been some LB’s go number one overall who were basically edge rushers. The only way to defend QB’s is with a strong pass rush. Miles Garrett, TJ Watt and Max Crosby have struggled to win a championship because their teams have had QB issues. Parsons has yet to even have a good game in the playoffs. He’s been a complete no-show in four playoff games. He has only one sack and only four QB hits. Our defense has been awful in the playoffs. We didn’t have a single sack against Green Bay.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Mahomes prob had to deal with the worst receiving group in the playoffs outside of Kelce, imagine him and CeeDee.

Id trade Parsons for C. Jones, an elite DT is worth more than an elite DE
No way.... Parsons has more than half his career left.

Jones has 1 or 2 years left.
Now....if you mean you'd trade Parsons for Chris Jones 5 years younger? Sure.... I'd be all about that

kskboys

Reaction score

Edge rushers effect is nominal w/o disruption by the DT's.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That's too convoluted in my opinion however this is what I would do how about this how about we put the switch same teams except for the quarterbacks Prescott goes to the 49ers last year and Brock Purdy plays this year with the Cowboys how much you wanna bet they still make the Super bowl with Prescott?

They're obviously the better team that's why Brock Purdy flourished you took a couple players off him he goes on a three-game losing streak....

Anyway I'll bookmark this and come back later but that's my thoughts just off the top of my head without a lot of deep thinking....​
No 'deep thing' required. Its either:
- the 'Rookie'/low paid QB gives you CAP flexibility to build the roster (that gives him: weapons, protection and a Defense that keeps him in the game)., or
- you play with an expensive elite QB that performs to the highest level
- or there's the 3rd option, the Dallas way, overpay a QB, whilst kicking the CAP can down the alley in an attempt to scramble enough talent. This will always struggle as the CAP wont stretch to covering hole in the roster (hence, we forsake Run Defense).

If you cant find an elite QB, whole carry the team in any eventuality then build the team around both trenches.