Best Vocals We can’t ignore the Singers

Blackthorn

Reaction score
Vocals are more than listening to music, if you can relate to the words and they move you emotionally then that is truly "the best vocals. Words of wisdom that touches the soul. Nothing like a poet setting his words to music, whether its by a campfire, riding in the back of a Ranchero on a country road, or out with your buddies at the beach or with your better half. Best vocals is not easy, it's about storytelling and passion. I love Waylon, Dylan and many others that just let the sun shine down like Clapton.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Vocals are more than listening to music, if you can relate to the words and they move you emotionally then that is truly "the best vocals. Words of wisdom that touches the soul. Nothing like a poet setting his words to music, whether its by a campfire, riding in the back of a Ranchero on a country road, or out with your buddies at the beach or with your better half. Best vocals is not easy, it's about storytelling and passion. I love Waylon, Dylan and many others that just let the sun shine down like Clapton.

When he specified "vocalists", I took it to mean quality of the vocals. I love Neil Young, Tom Petty, and Bon Scott, but they don't have very good voices.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bruce Dickinson or Geoff Tate.

mgid:uma:image:vh1.com:10726932

Or

GeoffTateHeadshot.jpg

cowboyec

Reaction score
2 voices I love from two of my favorite bands
•Paul Stanley,KISS...you know it instantly...and he's kept it in amazing shape...he sounds just as good today as he did in the late 70's.
•Steve Perry,Journey....anything from the Escape album....dude had a helluva voice.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Chester Bennington had an amazing voice. He could sing or scream. Blackthorn nailed it too. If the vocalist can transcend their energy to you, make you feel what they're feeling, that to me makes the best artists. Chester could do that. Even though he was a huge rock star, his emotions would still remind you that he is also only human.

cowboyec

Reaction score
David Ruffin,Temptations...my favorite motown act.
I can't imagine NOT hearing My Girl.
What an amazing group...his voice tho stands out the most.

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
David Draiman of Disturbed is a great vocalist, with a lot of range....and since we're discussing range (shut up, yes we are!) Axle Rose has incredible range.

Don't get me wrong, David Draiman does not drink at all and does singing lessons to keep his voice 4-6 hours every other day with a person to work on keeping his range. That is dedication, but he is still 3-4 octaves at best.

As far as Axel is concerned he can hit 5 octaves but can't hold range but within 3 of them. There is a reason he cancelled the snake pit tour with Metallica in 1990. When your opening act outdoes you, you might want to come up with the idea of switching closings and openings. Instead he threw a fit and walked off after 3 songs and cancelled the tour. A bit of a child move but you get the point.

With today's technology they both would sound awesome even live with the editing we can do with mixing boards to even vocals, but in their prime, they both were decent at best live..... Seen them both several times live and much like Dave Mustaine from Megadeth, only technology can help make them fit a best vocalist category....

I love all three and enjoy their music, but not fitting for best vocalists.

When I think of vocalists that fit all time greatness, I look for range, pitch, and yes showmanship. Not the biggest Aerosmith fan but Steve Tyler fits the bill..... Bad Company with rather Paul Rodgers or Brian Howe fits the bill. While I am barely a fan of Judas Priest, Rob Halford fits the bill. There are many that can do it live just as well as they do their fully edited albums. While not the biggest name to be thrown out here so far, I think David Gilmour should be added here..... No he is not Roger Waters but he can still do it all and in 5 octaves......Insane considering his age and being the back up vocalist.

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score

See now you are speaking songwriting. Sadly most of today's as well as yesteryear's hits were mostly bought and paid for by the artists. That is not to say some amazing artists did not write great stuff, but a lot was written by song writers and sold to the band. Normally after payment is done, the song writer is left out unless negotiated in the contract. I will say you chose three great song writers and artist though... Props.....

Xelda

Reaction score
Meatloaf, BB King, Al Green, Josh Groban, Steve Perry, Freddie Mercury, P!nk, George Ezra, Morten Harket (Take On Me), Roy Orbison and now my brain is empty. So many great ones. I heard Aretha Franklin do a stand in and sang an opera song. She knocked it out of the park.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don't get me wrong, David Draiman does not drink at all and does singing lessons to keep his voice 4-6 hours every other day with a person to work on keeping his range. That is dedication, but he is still 3-4 octaves at best.

As far as Axel is concerned he can hit 5 octaves but can't hold range but within 3 of them. There is a reason he cancelled the snake pit tour with Metallica in 1990. When your opening act outdoes you, you might want to come up with the idea of switching closings and openings. Instead he threw a fit and walked off after 3 songs and cancelled the tour. A bit of a child move but you get the point.

With today's technology they both would sound awesome even live with the editing we can do with mixing boards to even vocals, but in their prime, they both were decent at best live..... Seen them both several times live and much like Dave Mustaine from Megadeth, only technology can help make them fit a best vocalist category....

I love all three and enjoy their music, but not fitting for best vocalists.

When I think of vocalists that fit all time greatness, I look for range, pitch, and yes showmanship. Not the biggest Aerosmith fan but Steve Tyler fits the bill..... Bad Company with rather Paul Rodgers or Brian Howe fits the bill. While I am barely a fan of Judas Priest, Rob Halford fits the bill. There are many that can do it live just as well as they do their fully edited albums. While not the biggest name to be thrown out here so far, I think David Gilmour should be added here..... No he is not Roger Waters but he can still do it all and in 5 octaves......Insane considering his age and being the back up vocalist.
First, let me apologize for misspelling Axl's name. :confused:

I know he's a huge pain in the .....neck, when it comes to working with him, and I'd never go to a concert, because you never know if he's gonna even decide to come out, much less do a whole show....but I do love the sound he puts out.

I mentioned David Draiman, not because I think he has the best range, but because I was surprised at the range and vocal quality he does have, after hearing so much shrieking and grunting, then hearing his rendition of Sound of Silence.

Aerosmith is my favorite band, solely due to their pre-sobriety era. Once they sobered up, their music was technically better, but it lacked the oomph that hooked me in the first place....Though I've never considered Tyler to be a rangy vocalist. Maybe he is, but I just didn't realize it.

StarMan2112

Reaction score
A few of my faves in no particular order...

Ronnie James Dio
Geoff Tate
Brad Delp
Eric Martin
Doug Pinnick
Ann Wilson
Sammy Hagar
David Coverdale
Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
Ian Gillan
Ray Alder