Best Way To Get A TE

Gremell12

Reaction score
Give me tj hockenson this draft- he bullies people with his blocks so that already gives us a boost in the run game and this man can catch and is pretty athletic. Won the tight end of the year award and was the first sophomore to do so

cowboyec

Reaction score
draft.
I like our TE group but to add someone like Irv Smith,Alabama or Kaden Smith,Stanford...or Hockenson,Iowa...would make it really special.
I also like CJ Conrad,Kentucky.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You never want to depend on the draft to fill a specific position. When you have a big hole at a position, you fill it through free agency (or possibly a trade if it makes sense). You either get a stop-gap guy on a short-term deal, or sign a top free agent (but only a young one!) if there happens to be one that matches your need. The goal is to go into the draft with complete freedom to acquire talent wherever it may be found.

I agree here......don't box yourself in on TE in the 2nd round. For all we know the 2nd or 3rd graded best RT who can also play LT may still be on the board. I'd take him over a TE on value alone ( grooming as Smith replacement). Seems to me for whatever reason, top NFL TEs don't have to top draft picks. It's a position depends on scheme and system.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Sarge, post: 8805857, member: 10"]I think the Giants are gonna let Engram go as well....[/QUOTE]

:huh: He was their 2017 1st round pick ..........

12205.jpg

Evan Engram | Tight End | #88
Team: New York Giants
Age / DOB: (24) / 9/2/1994
Ht / Wt: 6'3' / 240
College: Mississippi
Drafted: 2017 / Rd. 1 (23) / NYG
Contract:

6/15/2017: Signed a four-year, $10.71 million contract. The deal includes a $5.935 million signing bonus. 2018: $952,207, 2019: $1.43 million, 2020: $1.92 million, 2021: Club Option, 2022: Free Agent

dallas72

Reaction score
I like Brate a lot others maybe not so much I think his numbers would sky rocket with Dak vs what he does with the QBs in TB. I like some of the free agents too just not as much as Brate.
Just signed a 5 year deal & is making $

BoysWin

Reaction score
With the difficulties rookie TEs have would it be better to send a pick to some like TB for Brate or just draft one and suffer his growing pains. I think this team is close and I send like a 4th and something to TB or maybe even a 3rd for Brate. I think that would put the offense in a good position along with the dominant D. I don’t want to waste a year waiting on a rookie to figure it out.

Draft all TE’s from IOWA. Iowa has the 2 best in CFB.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
I would rather sign a FA TE, TE take a long time to develop, chances are Swaim moves on, we have Shultz drafted in 2018, Jarwin signed in 2017, and Gathers drafted in 2016. Sign a Vet FA and let him spend the off season working with Dak, and others.

sbark

Reaction score
I agree here......don't box yourself in on TE in the 2nd round. For all we know the 2nd or 3rd graded best RT who can also play LT may still be on the board. I'd take him over a TE on value alone ( grooming as Smith replacement). Seems to me for whatever reason, top NFL TEs don't have to top draft picks. It's a position depends on scheme and system.
Yup, example witten was a 4th rounder

Right now, I wouldn't pass on a development LT either

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
He doesn’t block well and thats what the new HC wants. I just heard then talk about it recently FWIW.

Then why would the Cowboys want him? They want their TEs to block more than most teams in the league.

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
I’m leaning toward a free agent TE like Cook or James than taking one high in the draft. Swaim still has 2 years left on his deal and was starting to click before his injury. Shultz is showing a bit more promise the last few games as well.

Signing an established vet as a bridge to help some of these young guys come along is the better option at this point IMO.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jarwin seems to be the man and heir apparent to Witten in the TE competition of 2018. His 3 TDs in week 17 solidify him as our tier 1 TE going forward... that starts with the playoffs next week.

The Realist

Reaction score
Jarwin seems to be the man and heir apparent to Witten in the TE competition of 2018. His 3 TDs in week 17 solidify him as our tier 1 TE going forward... that starts with the playoffs next week.

Jarwin would have to go off in the playoffs to have me pencil him in as the heir apparent.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Can't be a prisoner of the moment. Hats off to Jarwin, he had a great game today. However, the Giants defense was playing 2nd and 3rd string back seven guys today.

There are some talented TE's in this upcoming draft. Blake Jarwin shouldn't prevent us from drafting one of them.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Can't be a prisoner of the moment. Hats off to Jarwin, he had a great game today. However, the Giants defense was playing 2nd and 3rd string back seven guys today.

There are some talented TE's in this upcoming draft. Blake Jarwin shouldn't prevent us from drafting one of them.
LOL, you are still a prisoner of losing Witten. I'm not wasting a draft pick on a TE and neither are the Cowboys, just wait and see.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What does that even mean?

and LOL? It was funny? Awful post all around.
It means we draft for need and every since Wit retired during the draft, a bunch of you have been worked up about drafting his replacement. Well, that position is filled now and his name is Blake Jarwin. Now it appears you have appointed yourself the grader of posts and you can't even do that very well.