Between now and camp what's needed to feel better

MikeT22

Reaction score
At this point you are looking at players who will be cut / street FAs. If our other signings are any indication then anyone else added will be an aging vet likely on a one year deal.

foofighters

Reaction score
I did not mean this to turn into a hate / prediction thread. I am genuinely interested in what people think still needs work on the roster. I am not saying this is a SB contender.
I am not all that confident that we can stop the run.

Gambit

Reaction score
My cirrhosis needs to miraculously heal, my gall bladder needs to work like a functioning gall bladder, the hepatic encelopathy needs to go away and if the osteoarthritis that plagues my body could go away too Id feel a whole lot better. Thanks for asking

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s it? I was a couple games off record wise, but my outcomes remained perfectly predicted.

Replace Mayfield with Love and I was insanely right.

I’m better than I remember.
Season record proclamations are either right or wrong. There are no areas of gray.

A win total prediction is good if it a team eventually ends up with equal or more W's foreseen in that column.

A loss total prediction is good if a team finishes with same or more L's than were foretold.in the other column.

Interpretating season record proclamations in any other fashion is wishy-washy. A fortuneteller either eats their cake or starve in the end. And there is nothing wrong with starving. No one is omnipotently all-knowing.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I did not mean this to turn into a hate / prediction thread. I am genuinely interested in what people think still needs work on the roster. I am not saying this is a SB contender.
There are things I would like to see, but likely won't happen, and there are things that realistically could occur.

As many have said, I would like an RB #1 with young legs. There is no way we are going to get a stud at this point, but at least someone younger and more talented, Dameon Pierce or Roschon Johnson comes to mind as young RBs being squeezed out that could be gotten.
I would also like to see a veteran NT be brought on. I just think relying on Mazi, who is coming off a surgery, and 7th-round pick would be a HUGE mistake.
A vet WR would also be nice.

starfan1

Reaction score
Given the way GB gashed them you would have thought getting stouter in the middle was key. Looks ignored to me. Maybe Mazi is ready to go boom. They seem to act that he is going to be a monster in year 2.
well need him to.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the draft was pretty good. I hated the pick at 87 but you have to appreciate the trade down which still nabbed them Guyton and Beebe. Guyton is a bit of a project but you can’t teach his size and athleticism. Beebe looks like a day one starter with little risk. Kneeland will at least add strength and depth to the DE position. Carson might be a steal. At a minimum he is a rotational guy at a spot where you need 4/5 guys that can play.

For me I am stuck that they didn’t address RB in the draft. DT was late but if you look the current roster if they have an injury to Mazi or OZiggy they are screwed. Paper thin depth at DT.

Hence I am really hoping a veteran RB and DT can be signed before camp or maybe a quick camp casualty pick. Both players would need to be good contributors. I hate the Zeke signing. I thought he was cooked 2 years ago and would be shocked if he offers anything. Hence I hope they can grab a guy to be in a rotation with Dowdle but carry a decent part of the load. DT I am hoping for more of a depth player that can rotate in and spot start if someone gets hurt.

So that’s it for me. RB and DT. The draft solved the OL issues. LB looks good right now. Assuming Diggs is good CB looks solid. WR is something they will need to focus on next offseason.

Thoughts?
What's needed to feel better? Less trolling, hating and whining along with more posts from the positive fans that have left. That'll do it.

starfan1

Reaction score
Defense, unfortunately, is meaning less and less in the modern NFL.

As Tom Brady said in an interview a few weeks ago regarding this… he said that NFL rules have reduced the game so much that the only way to win now is great offensive play. That most great defensive plays are penalties now and 15 yards for the offense.

I agree with Tom Brady.
disagree thats its maningless. In playoffs nothings more important than being able to run and being able to stop the run. Im sure Tom is in the minority with his meaningless claims.

Motorola

Reaction score
Cowboys neede
So the draft was pretty good. I hated the pick at 87 but you have to appreciate the trade down which still nabbed them Guyton and Beebe. Guyton is a bit of a project but you can’t teach his size and athleticism. Beebe looks like a day one starter with little risk. Kneeland will at least add strength and depth to the DE position. Carson might be a steal. At a minimum he is a rotational guy at a spot where you need 4/5 guys that can play.

For me I am stuck that they didn’t address RB in the draft. DT was late but if you look the current roster if they have an injury to Mazi or OZiggy they are screwed. Paper thin depth at DT.

Hence I am really hoping a veteran RB and DT can be signed before camp or maybe a quick camp casualty pick. Both players would need to be good contributors. I hate the Zeke signing. I thought he was cooked 2 years ago and would be shocked if he offers anything. Hence I hope they can grab a guy to be in a rotation with Dowdle but carry a decent part of the load. DT I am hoping for more of a depth player that can rotate in and spot start if someone gets hurt.

So that’s it for me. RB and DT. The draft solved the OL issues. LB looks good right now. Assuming Diggs is good CB looks solid. WR is something they will need to focus on next offseason.

Thoughts?
Cowboys need the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year players to become solid contributors - assert themselves to become good substitutes, dependable roles in rotation - or even wrestle a starting position if somehow everything comes together (ability, mentality, knowledge, game awareness). Can't just rely on the incoming rookies.

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
yeah the bell cow running back you know all the ones that are winning Super Bowls ohh wait a minute they're not can you give it a break a little bit let's let them find a rotation out of the guys we have now use them properly get that offensive line going and get a run scheme that actually works it was a mess last year they used everybody wrong but there's some talented enough group that you can go running back by committee you don't need a bell cow to win a Super Bowl Kansas city's doing it with a seventh round pick all the best running backs in the regular season are not winning rings I mean as much as everybody wanted Derrick Henry and by the way just Speaking of that I think you're really was a bell cow DeMarco Murray was a bell cow we did not have a ring in 27 years right that's the narrative we've had some great running backs here it didn't help it's nice for the regular season to have a top star getting all the publicity but they are not the ones on teams winning big it's been already proven in this league that if you have the right scheme and utilize your running back by committee you can do it with two or three guys you just have to block better and you have to put the right guy on the field for the play call they did not do that last year...

They will not bring in a big name unless this starts failing the first five games of the season it will be an amari Cooper deal if the running back by committee fails and it is a very obvious weak spot they will trade for a guy that they think will help but right now this is a nice little group there are six guys on this team two of them probably already made the team in Ezekiel Elliott Enrico dowdell but the rest of them they have enough skill sets that are differing some with speed some you can use in motion as a **** back that they can find as a Group A nice run game...

But again why don't you list all the top five running backs in the league from the last 10 years and show me how many actually elevated their teams and have an actual Lombardi trophy you know they got the ring not the runner up but the actual ring I mean Christian McCaffrey is the only one I know where they made a trade and he ended up playing in a Super Bowl but you know what the team's already been in the Super bowl a lot he did not elevate that team in my opinion he just brought production by one player that they were getting from three in years prior they were using running back by committee some of the names we never heard of and yeah they're pretty good now but they were let go..

I just wanna remind fans this is not the Terrell Davis Emmitt Smith era and most of the best running backs in the league including the Dallas Cowboys group have not been winning Super Bowls they have not been the reason that their teams have won the Super bowl and again they can't see the chiefs have a seventh round pick that came out of nowhere he's a steady solid running back but he in no way could be considered a bell cow he is not a three down back that stays in the block and that could do everything and he's not getting 600 carries a year..

Yes we all have a different opinion but I think people are just overreacting to the running back position because yes it was a train wreck last year it was worse than Kellen Moores and some of that because we were missing physicality the offensive line and they were misused I I can't say that enough that Mike McCarthy screwed this up last year or whoever allowed these run schemes and who was calling the groupings they did it wrong it was completely backwards IMHO
Kansas City has a very special player at quarterback. That may allow them to excel without a strong running back. The other 31 teams, like the 49ers, realize they may need to consider building a strong rush attack just to get the opportunity to face the Chiefs in the AFC title game or the Super Bowl. Depending on two rookie offensive lineman to step in and improve your run game isn’t even fair to ask of the two guys, but it indicates you know the rush attack has to improve. A capable running back would still be helpful. Playoff teams like Green Bay and Philly know this and signed capable running backs. The Cowboys signed Elliott. If fans are concerned that might not be quite enough it is a more than fair point of view. It should not trigger a lengthy lecture from anyone suggesting fans have no reason to worry.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
disagree thats its maningless. In playoffs nothings more important than being able to run and being able to stop the run. Im sure Tom is in the minority with his meaningless claims.
If Tom Brady’s claims are “meaningless” then what are yours?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Given the way GB gashed them you would have thought getting stouter in the middle was key. Looks ignored to me. Maybe Mazi is ready to go boom. They seem to act that he is going to be a monster in year 2.
Don't forget GB didn't just gash them on the ground. Love completed 16 passes for 272 yards and 3 TD's too. They couldn't stop the pass or run, completely inept defense. If Zimmer can get Mazi back on track that will be a huge help and also stop with so many stunts along the DL.

rambo2

Reaction score

Thoughts?
They didn't get a running back because they lost in the playoffs because of their lack of linebackers. Pick 87 tells us how much they think about Liufau. Hopefully Liufau turns into an outstanding player like his cousin did last year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say that is a pretty good summation right there.

One thing I don't expect is for the Cowboys to sit around and do nothing. There will be more additions.

starfan1

Reaction score
If Tom Brady’s claims are “meaningless” then what are yours?
Didn’t say they were meaningless you did. I said he’s in minority if in FACT he said that

Coaches and most players would tell you running the ball and stopping the run in playoffs is important and NOT meaningless