News: Beware of the Cowboys' 5th round picks

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm

Beware of the Cowboys 5th round picks...record shows it's not been a stellar record of success

- I know that late a round is more likely to be developmental projects, backups and special teamers,
but I'd like to hit on hidden gem players that were graded and rated higher 3rd and 4th rds that
slip to 5th rounds..

- And this year the Cowboys are supposed to have multiple 5th rounders. ( per compensatory picks?)
... cross your fingers.. :oops:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Beware of the Cowboys 5th round picks...record shows it's not been a stellar record of success

- I know that late a round is more likely to be developmental projects, backups and special teamers,
but I'd like to hit on hidden gem players that were graded and rated higher 3rd and 4th rds that
slip to 5th rounds..

- And this year the Cowboys are supposed to have multiple 5th rounders. ( per compensatory picks?)

I been saying this for years. They seen to pick all these players and claim they weren't used correctly, or is a diamond in the rough.
Especially all the reaches for DE's in the 4th and 5th. Armstrong being the best of them actually.

Now they are doing the same thing in the 3rd also it seems, as well with other positions in the 4th and 5th.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I can't see how anyone says the Cowboys draft well, or do anything well for that matter. We haven't won squat in 26 years. We lose really well, I guess that's something. Jerry needs to scoop up his new daughter and head for the hills.

Silly

Reaction score
Is it possible for Dallas to trade down and up and maybe dominate the 2nd or 3rd round? I don't see how these late round picks are going to matter much.

• Round 1: 24th-overall
  • Round 2: 56th-overall
  • Round 3: 88th-overall
  • Round 4: 129th-overall
  • Round 5: 155th-overall***
  • Round 5: 167th-overall
  • Round 5: 176th-overall*
  • Round 5: 178th-overall*
  • Round 6: 193rd-overal

Reactions: BAT

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Is it possible for Dallas to trade down and up and maybe dominate the 2nd or 3rd round? I don't see how these late round picks are going to matter much.

• Round 1: 24th-overall
  • Round 2: 56th-overall
  • Round 3: 88th-overall
  • Round 4: 129th-overall
  • Round 5: 155th-overall***
  • Round 5: 167th-overall
  • Round 5: 176th-overall*
  • Round 5: 178th-overall*
  • Round 6: 193rd-overal
We should try to accomplish 5 picks in the top 125

quickccc

Reaction score
I been saying this for years. They seen to pick all these players and claim they weren't used correctly, or is a diamond in the rough.
Especially all the reaches for DE's in the 4th and 5th. Armstrong being the best of them actually.

Now they are doing the same thing in the 3rd also it seems, as well with other positions in the 4th and 5th.

I have no problem with the Dorace Armstrong pick in the 4th round. That's a mid round pick
At that draft time i heard reports that the Cowboys were so high on Dorace that they considered moving up a round early to pick him.

It's those 1st thru 3rd round picks that we must definitely hit successfully.
If we're not having much success with the 5th round picks, then we need to consider trading and packaging them to move up a round or so earlier.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope, but doubt, they package some of those and move up. As long as they don't move up for a reach as usual.

What may happen, as we know how this FO loves their own draft picks, rather they should make the 53 or not. They will keep every pick regardless. Therefore possible making the overall roster less talented by releasing a better player. Then tell how great of a draft they had.

We love our guys...but also...we love our draft pick reaches...

X550i

Reaction score
If our drafting was a great as people pretend it is then we'd have no trouble winning the division 2 years in a row instead of rotating with the other trash waiting for our turn again.

Everything about this team is overrated.

It's amazing how many fans fall for this.
The notion that the Cowboys have so much talent or draft so much better is a false narrative.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
We do ok in the first rd. No better than any arm-chair GM armed with the latest mock draft list. Beyond that, our drafting is largely garbage.

Just because we trot these players onto the field and give the big money extensions does not make them good, or better than those of others teams. If they were, they'd actually beat those other players and teams. Outside our crappy division last year we were 6-6. And we had a losing record the previous year. We are mediocre drafting, at best. Some fans are completely delusional.

fivetwos

Reaction score
For a team that needs a kicker, that's a great place to find a good one.

A short, shifty slot like WR can be found there also.

A punter as well but not gonna happen.

Ya know if they didn't pay the damn punter 3 million and the same to supposed ST ace Goodwin....they could put that money toward a difference making player.

Choice.....Armstrong, Anger and Goodwin.

Or.....Wagner, a rookie 5th round P, and really any average gunner.

No brainer for me but the secret sauce says otherwise.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It's amazing how many fans fall for this.
The notion that the Cowboys have so much talent or draft so much better is a false narrative.
Watching posters say "wait until after the draft" before you judge the offseason is disgusting.

They are looking for any way to make themselves feel better about the past 26 years instead of facing the reality that this whole organization, yes Will McClay included, is incompetent.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We do ok in the first rd. No better than any arm-chair GM armed with the latest mock draft list. Beyond that, our drafting is largely garbage.

Just because we trot these players onto the field and give the big money extensions does not make them good, or better than those of others teams. If they were, they'd actually beat those other players and teams. Outside our crappy division last year we were 6-6. And we had a losing record the previous year. We are mediocre drafting, at best. Some fans are completely delusional.
The draft exceptionally well thing bugs me as well.

These mid round picks are not coming through.

The criticism here is NOT about not hitting on mid rounders.....it's about COUNTING on that to happen.

I basically say it daily....they need several of last years class to step it up in year two, because the supposed great class of 2020 is an inch away from becoming Lamb and Diggs and that's it.

I have high hopes for dudes like Gallimore and OO, but they need to get it going already. Clock ticking.

TheGoat73

Reaction score

slip to 5th rounds..

I think it’s possible to get KR/PR, backup LB, 2 down DT size/depth, blocking TE, OL project, raw and undersized WR and CB projects in those rounds.

Reactions: BAT

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

slip to 5th rounds..

Orlando Scandrick was a 5th round pick.

GoldenR

Reaction score
We have fell into all the solid picks in the 1st round lately. Everyone thinks Jerry is some draft guru! Parsons, Lamb, Vandy, etc.... They wanted corners dating back to Vandy and Taco Draft! Now taking best player available has helped them, but these players kept falling and Jerry took them, which is fine. Hell, they wanted Justin Gilbert outta Ok State and fell into Z. Martin!! Stop it with how great they are!!!