News: Beware of the Cowboys' 5th round picks

Cowboyny

Reaction score
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm

Beware of the Cowboys 5th round picks...record shows it's not been a stellar record of success

- I know that late a round is more likely to be developmental projects, backups and special teamers,
but I'd like to hit on hidden gem players that were graded and rated higher 3rd and 4th rds that
slip to 5th rounds..

- And this year the Cowboys are supposed to have multiple 5th rounders. ( per compensatory picks?)
... cross your fingers.. :oops:
Very deep draft they can get quality players in the 5th rd and they could also use those 4 picks to move up.

quickccc

Reaction score
For a team that needs a kicker, that's a great place to find a good one.

A short, shifty slot like WR can be found there also.

A punter as well but not gonna happen.

Ya know if they didn't pay the damn punter 3 million and the same to supposed ST ace Goodwin....they could put that money toward a difference making player.

Choice.....Armstrong, Anger and Goodwin.

Or.....Wagner, a rookie 5th round P, and really any average gunner.

No brainer for me but the secret sauce says otherwise.

Not me ..with the FG kicker, i'm with vet FG kicker or an undrafted heralded college kicker.

Even the NFL"s best FG kicker and long regarded as such, Baltimore's Justin Tucker went undrafted. And i'm sure there's been other notable successful FG kickers that went
undrafted or maybe at least 7th round.

i've seen NFL teams drafting kickers as early as 3rd round, and those do not normally pan out.

quickccc

Reaction score
We have fell into all the solid picks in the 1st round lately. Everyone thinks Jerry is some draft guru! Parsons, Lamb, Vandy, etc.... They wanted corners dating back to Vandy and Taco Draft! Now taking best player available has helped them, but these players kept falling and Jerry took them, which is fine.

Hell, they wanted Justin Gilbert outta Ok State and fell into Z. Martin!! Stop it with how great they are!!!

huh ? .. what happened ?
:huh:

morasp

Reaction score
Use a couple of them to trade for a viable LG and WR so we don't have to use a higher pick on one if a better player is available.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not me ..with the FG kicker, i'm with vet FG kicker or an undrafted heralded college kicker.

Even the NFL"s best FG kicker and long regarded as such, Baltimore's Justin Tucker went undrafted. And i'm sure there's been other notable successful FG kickers that went
undrafted or maybe at least 7th round.

i've seen NFL teams drafting kickers as early as 3rd round, and those do not normally pan out.
Oh I agree....those 2nd round kickers.....and there's more than one may think, are all busts.

I'm saying you can usually get the best kicker on the board in round five....think Tyler Bass and Evan McPherson....instead of having to fight for them as UDFA.

I know what you mean though. Those kickers who attract attention in college usually don't pan out in the NFL.

Bailey was a priority UDFA. Folk was a 6th I believe.

Edit....I'm all old...not sure about you, but you've got me remembering Steve Little and Russell Erxleben.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm

Beware of the Cowboys 5th round picks...record shows it's not been a stellar record of success

- I know that late a round is more likely to be developmental projects, backups and special teamers,
but I'd like to hit on hidden gem players that were graded and rated higher 3rd and 4th rds that
slip to 5th rounds..

- And this year the Cowboys are supposed to have multiple 5th rounders. ( per compensatory picks?)
... cross your fingers.. :oops:
42 of 54 Cowboys 5th round picks have been on the roster more than 1 season.

The Cowboys didn't have a 5th round pick in 7 of the past 20 drafts.

The Cowboys didn't have a 5th round pick 15 times since 1965.

All of these players were in the league over 5 years.
RB Herschel Walker
G Blaine Nye
RB Walt Garrison
DB Orlando Scandrick
RB Ron Springs
TE Keith Jennings
T Oliver Ross
T Andy Frederick
QB Gary Hogeboom
QB Steve Pelluer
C Matt Lehr
G Rod Milstead
DB Greg Briggs
T Phil Pozderac
LB Darrick Brownlow
TE Sean Ryan

Reactions: BAT

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will McClay was promoted to the top spot in 2014.

All of McClay's 5th rounders were reasonable picks.
- None of them showed zero ability like Parcells 2nd round pick Jacob Rogers who was only active for 2 NFL games in his career.

These are the 5th round picks in that time span.

All but the last 2 were in the NFL in 2021.

All of the ones cut by the Cowboys were signed by other teams and played some games with other teams.
- Even Ryan Russell started 7 games for Tampa Bay in 2017.

Mike White completed 37 of 45 passes for 405 yards, 3 touchdowns against the Bengals in his 1st career start (2021).
- He was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance.

Simi Fehoko
Bradlee Anae
Joe Jackson
Michael Jackson
Mike White
Ryan Russell
Devin Street

quickccc

Reaction score
Same thing as recent draft, wanted Surtain, Horn, Sewell, and then said I will take this Parsons guy who wasn't on their radar.

Disagree with Parsons Not being on Cowboys' radar.

- He was definitely on their value board and radar. They just had the other two CBs you mentioned (Horn and Surtain) rated ahead of Micah.
They had no intention of picking Sewell.

- Not only that, the Cowboys actually moved down a couple of spots in the first round

- Regardless of what Jerry says post-draft about ..." we had Parsons as our best defensive player in the NFL draft "
I don't think you'd gamble with the best defensive player in the NFL, and risk
another moving ahead of you for Parsons, ..after you've just moved/traded down.

quickccc

Reaction score
Oh I agree....those 2nd round kickers.....and there's more than one may think, are all busts.

I'm saying you can usually get the best kicker on the board in round five....think Tyler Bass and Evan McPherson....instead of having to fight for them as UDFA.

I know what you mean though. Those kickers who attract attention in college usually don't pan out in the NFL.

Bailey was a priority UDFA. Folk was a 6th I believe.

Edit....I'm all old...not sure about you, but you've got me remembering Steve Little and Russell Erxleben.

i still remember the Radas taking Sebastian J. in the very first round, and he never came close to living up to that kind of kicker.

- Al Davis must've thought Sebastian was Ray Guy de ja vue strike gold all over again.
- Bucs took a FG kicker in 3rd round.. bust city
- Cardinals taking John Lee in the 2nd rd .. total bust

If i liked a FG kicker that much, i'd rather aim for the 7th round at the least, no more than 6th rd, so he would not have to be a undrafted bidding war for him.
But usually 9 out of 10 times, they all end up being in the same graded group.

fivetwos

Reaction score
i still remember the Radas taking Sebastian J. in the very first round, and he never came close to living up to that kind of kicker.

- Al Davis must've thought Sebastian was Ray Guy de ja vue strike gold all over again.
- Bucs took a FG kicker in 3rd round.. bust city
- Cardinals taking John Lee in the 2nd rd .. total bust

If i liked a FG kicker that much, i'd rather aim for the 7th round at the least, no more than 6th rd, so he would not have to be a undrafted bidding war for him.
But usually 9 out of 10 times, they all end up being in the same graded group.
Well yep....

But I say if they like one guy more than a group of others may as well spend a late pick to be sure you get that player.

A guy like Mason Crosby was drafted late as well.

Seems like the early picks bust (they could never earn that draft status) but there's a list of late ones that were very worth the investment.

Funny how it's an extremely valuable position from the standpoint of what they are asked to do....and they are asked to do plenty under serious pressure, but they have next to zero draft value.

RS12

Reaction score
I can't see how anyone says the Cowboys draft well, or do anything well for that matter. We haven't won squat in 26 years. We lose really well, I guess that's something. Jerry needs to scoop up his new daughter and head for the hills.
You are wrong, nobody makes money like the Cowboys. That's all they do well and does absolutely nothing for the fans at all.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Maybe we can packages all those 5’s to move up into the fourth or late third.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Is it possible for Dallas to trade down and up and maybe dominate the 2nd or 3rd round? I don't see how these late round picks are going to matter much.

• Round 1: 24th-overall
  • Round 2: 56th-overall
  • Round 3: 88th-overall
  • Round 4: 129th-overall
  • Round 5: 155th-overall***
  • Round 5: 167th-overall
  • Round 5: 176th-overall*
  • Round 5: 178th-overall*
  • Round 6: 193rd-overal
Based n the trade value chart, those four 5th rounders would be worth the Chiefs 3rd round pick (#103).

Reactions: BAT