Beware of the HC that wants the job

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know the illusion of this is that this is a plum job, a prestigious one. Is that really the case it once was?

Listen to all of these talking heads calling out the real problem, a meddlesome owner. How can you have prestige with an old man holding your balls?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Riley will not get paid more than OU is paying him or is willing to pay him. Meyer, could be. We all assume they're set but don't know their financial situations.
Yep, poor answer on my part.
No sure why anyone would want to come here at this point.
We are a steaming pile

ksadler1

Reaction score
Solid coach and man and he has proven he can get along with a meddlesome owner. It was Jerry Richardson that got rid of Hardy, Rivera wanted to keep him and said so.

I like him because if you saw him and didn't know what he did for aliving, my first guess would be football coach. With Garrett, I would have to get past florist to get to football coach.

Going off what Troy said, I sure hope they interview Rivera...

Creeper

Reaction score
Aikman seems pretty high on Ron Rivera. What do you guys think about him?

I like Ron Rivera. I think he is a quality guy, serious and probably the right guy to turn this defense around. He has NFL experience and knows NFL players. The only question is, after so many years in Carolina, can we say he has peaked?

I think they should interview him and get his thoughts on the Cowboys. I would want a strong offensive coordinator if I signed Rivera though. I don't think Kellen more would be the right guy. I am wary of college guys, especially if they have no NFL experience, either as players or coaches. Even the top college guys take time to understand the differences between the NFL and college fooball players.

HanD

Reaction score
Do you wonder why Meyer and Riley are not being mentioned for the other HC openings?

Riley is a hot target.

https://247sports.com/Article/Lincoln-Riley-NFL-jobs-Oklahoma-Sooners-football-136237964/

“There’s going to be a race to fire NFL head coaches this season because everyone wants to get on Lincoln Riley as early as possible,” Miller tweeted that his front office friend told him.

teams having been talking to him about his offense. like most of the league.....

ksadler1

Reaction score
I've heard that part of the new coach search will include the candidate showing that they can properly throw a red flag...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, poor answer on my part.
No sure why anyone would want to come here at this point.
We are a steaming pile
It's still the ratings and revenue champion with fans not willing to part with 24 year old memories and the job will pay in the 5-6M area, if not higher for the "right guy". The Dallas Cowboys image and mystique is still there because this team isn't about trophies, it's about making news.

If I were a candidate, I'd jump on it with both feet. First off, I like scotch. But any HC that takes this job gets this disclaimer up front. *This Head Coach will not be held responsible for results because of the meddlesome owner/GM. A HOF Head Coach had the worst blemish on his resume working for this man. It's built in excuses for failure.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It's still the ratings and revenue champion with fans not willing to part with 24 year old memories and the job will pay in the 5-6M area, if not higher for the "right guy". The Dallas Cowboys image and mystique is still there because this team isn't about trophies, it's about making news.

If I were a candidate, I'd jump on it with both feet. First off, I like scotch. But any HC that takes this job gets this disclaimer up front. *This Head Coach will not be held responsible for results because of the meddlesome owner/GM. A HOF Head Coach had the worst blemish on his resume working for this man. It's built in excuses for failure.
Sad where this once proud franchise is now at.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Riley is a hot target.

https://247sports.com/Article/Lincoln-Riley-NFL-jobs-Oklahoma-Sooners-football-136237964/

“There’s going to be a race to fire NFL head coaches this season because everyone wants to get on Lincoln Riley as early as possible,” Miller tweeted that his front office friend told him.

teams having been talking to him about his offense. like most of the league.....

I would consider the source on that article before believing the article.

CAR made a statement that under the right circumstances and the candidate fitting the requirements, they would consider a college HC. I wonder if they would consider a Big 12 HC, that's really an OC, to replace a D minded HC? Then I wonder how quickly the owner would consider replacing his GM?

Riley is great for OU and the Big 12 but he is an OC, he's not a HC. If the Cowboys hire him, they'd better get the best D coaching staff money can buy.

Anyone noticed that the Cowboys have the #1 offense and are 6-7? The problem, and it has been for years, is the defense. They need a D minded HC with a good OC and I don't know if Kellen Moore is that guy but he does have the #1 O in the league.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the team can get back on track with a new, great coaching staff. The current crew isn't cutting it.
Same can be said of any franchise but I would add a new, great FO.

Man, if this was easy, they wouldn't be firing 20-25% of the HC's every year.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same can be said of any franchise but I would add a new, great FO.

Man, if this was easy, they wouldn't be firing 20-25% of the HC's every year.
Coach, we're not getting a new FO, so let's be realistic here. The present coaching staff are terrible on both sides of the ball.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you wonder why Meyer and Riley are not being mentioned for the other HC openings?

A lot here want Meyer because of what he did in college and that worked out well for Saban and Spurrier so transferring that accomplishment to the NFL isn't a given and Johnson was the exception, not the rule.

Doesn't it make you wonder when Meyer is openly politicking for the job? That is exactly the last guy you want for a HC, a guy that needs the job.

Do you think Booger went to Parcells or vice versa? Where does the position of strength rest? With the pursuer or the pursed? Which type of HC is Booger willing to relinquish any of that power to, the man after the job or the man they're after.

The only way this problem gets fixed is if he has to relinquish some control and involvement and that is not happening with that weasel Meyer openly tossing his hat in the ring.

Back to that original question, why do you think they're being associated with only one possible HC opening?
Because he wants 5 mil a year so he can retire in total luxury.:flagwave:
If it were Meyer I think Jerry would have pulled the string already.

Riley coming to a field near you!!

cern

Reaction score
I wouldn't say yes or no to any head coaching candidate without hearing his interview and reviewing the vetting process.