Beware of the HC that wants the job

HanD

Reaction score
I would consider the source on that article before believing the article.

CAR made a statement that under the right circumstances and the candidate fitting the requirements, they would consider a college HC. I wonder if they would consider a Big 12 HC, that's really an OC, to replace a D minded HC? Then I wonder how quickly the owner would consider replacing his GM?

Riley is great for OU and the Big 12 but he is an OC, he's not a HC. If the Cowboys hire him, they'd better get the best D coaching staff money can buy.

Anyone noticed that the Cowboys have the #1 offense and are 6-7? The problem, and it has been for years, is the defense. They need a D minded HC with a good OC and I don't know if Kellen Moore is that guy but he does have the #1 O in the league.

i don't disagree that we need to fix the def. i'd want ron rivera as DC if possible and would be okay with him as HC also. i'm just saying i think riley has nfl options and dallas is not the only team looking at him for HC. i've read many articles saying teams want him as HC. skins, browns, cowboys all have buzz about going after him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/Commanders/n...news-washington-has-no-shot-at-lincoln-riley/

http://www.nfl.com/videos/up-to-the...ahoma-At-some-point-the-NFL-will-come-calling

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Do you wonder why Meyer and Riley are not being mentioned for the other HC openings?

A lot here want Meyer because of what he did in college and that worked out well for Saban and Spurrier so transferring that accomplishment to the NFL isn't a given and Johnson was the exception, not the rule.

Doesn't it make you wonder when Meyer is openly politicking for the job? That is exactly the last guy you want for a HC, a guy that needs the job.

Do you think Booger went to Parcells or vice versa? Where does the position of strength rest? With the pursuer or the pursed? Which type of HC is Booger willing to relinquish any of that power to, the man after the job or the man they're after.

The only way this problem gets fixed is if he has to relinquish some control and involvement and that is not happening with that weasel Meyer openly tossing his hat in the ring.

Back to that original question, why do you think they're being associated with only one possible HC opening?
This is not well thought out with factual information.

Parcells before hiring spoke about the Cowboys Job and said he could work with Jerry Jones. Then the meeting took place when Campo was still Head Coach.

Jimmy Johnson had talks with Tex Schramm and Gil Brandt about replacing Tom Landry before Jerry bought the team (ask Gil Brandt). Jerry then in negotiations with Bum Bright contacted Jimmy to close the deal that he would fire Tom Landry and replace him immediately with Jimmy Johnson.

Finally, Bill Walsh (ex Stanford), Jim Harbaugh (ex Stanford), Dick Vermell (ex UCLA), Bobby Ross (ex Georgia Tech), Pete Carroll (ex USC after failing with the Patriots), Jimmy Johnson (ex Miami), and even the Bootlegger's Son (ex Oklahoma) were all Super Bowl Coaches after leaving college football.

Hiring Urban Meyer would be the right fit as you said he is a weasel and weasels kills snakes (Jerry Jones)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coach, we're not getting a new FO, so let's be realistic here. The present coaching staff are terrible on both sides of the ball.
They are for a fact, Chuck, but I wonder how much latitude a new staff will have?

The mystery of mysteries to me is that they started off the last two week's game just as we'd want them to, long TD drives and then it all came undone. I can't say I've ever seen that in a team before.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are for a fact, Chuck, but I wonder how much latitude a new staff will have?

The mystery of mysteries to me is that they started off the last two week's game just as we'd want them to, long TD drives and then it all came undone. I can't say I've ever seen that in a team before.
And this is one thing I don't feel can be blamed on the FO. To me, this is strictly on the coaching staff.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because he wants 5 mil a year so he can retire in total luxury.:flagwave:
If it were Meyer I think Jerry would have pulled the string already.

Riley coming to a field near you!!
Booger is going to milk this and he will interview Richard to accommodate the Rooney Rule. No way he's just going to announce a new HC, he lives for all that media coverage.

Unless Riley lands the perfect position with a strong D staff, he will be coming right back to a college field near you within three years.

I don't care for Meyer as a person but he does have HC experience in the SEC and Big 10 and they play real football. He also knows more about where some good coaches might be available. But he is also missing part of his brain, the back part. Notice how there's nothing coming out the back of his head, just a straight line up his neck. I think his Momma let him sleep on his back to much as a baby and that's where the soft spot was.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who hired them and kept them?
Well, OK. They can certainly be blamed for that. But the poor play is on the players and coaches. No dumb comments made by an owner caused the team to perform so poorly last night.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's the challenge with a college guy, depth and rotation on the lines. They have 80 players and can dress 60, that's why Chip Kelly could run that fast break offense in college and struggled in the NFL. Bigger guys wear out faster and they need more of them.

Injuries cost more NFL HC's their jobs than anything and college coaches can usually withstand that better.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Do you wonder why Meyer and Riley are not being mentioned for the other HC openings?

A lot here want Meyer because of what he did in college and that worked out well for Saban and Spurrier so transferring that accomplishment to the NFL isn't a given and Johnson was the exception, not the rule.

Doesn't it make you wonder when Meyer is openly politicking for the job? That is exactly the last guy you want for a HC, a guy that needs the job.

Do you think Booger went to Parcells or vice versa? Where does the position of strength rest? With the pursuer or the pursed? Which type of HC is Booger willing to relinquish any of that power to, the man after the job or the man they're after.

The only way this problem gets fixed is if he has to relinquish some control and involvement and that is not happening with that weasel Meyer openly tossing his hat in the ring.

Back to that original question, why do you think they're being associated with only one possible HC opening?

Yeah it's the old "I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member" deal.

Any coach willing to take the HC job under GM Jerry isn't the kind of coach that is going to turn things around.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah it's the old "I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member" deal.

Any coach willing to take the HC job under GM Jerry isn't the kind of coach that is d going to turn things around.
Not sure that's 100% accurate.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, OK. They can certainly be blamed for that. But the poor play is on the team and coaches. No dumb comments made by an owner caused the team to perform so poorly last night.
Agree, but I fault the players as much as the coaches. How convenient for them that all of this circles around Garrett.

We know better and someone else knows better too, Michael Bennett. He voiced his frustration last week, this week, he looked resigned to it. He knows the problems on this team run deep.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree, but I fault the players as much as the coaches. How convenient for them that all of this circles around Garrett.

We know better and someone else knows better too, Michael Bennett. He voiced his frustration last week, this week, he looked resigned to it. He knows the problems on this team run deep.
Yes, there is certainly LOTS to blame the players for. But I think some of Michael Bennett's screaming was directed through the players towards the coaches. I think he recognizes a sh*tshow when he sees one.