Beware's 2020 draft thread

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
when you have a guy who is near elite in both size and athleticism you can be a little forgiving in some categories in my opinion
so true.

The Cowboys ignored the whole Trysten Hill not being very good thing just because occasionally he flashes a really good burst out of his stance,

tm1119

Reaction score
so true.

The Cowboys ignored the whole Trysten Hill not being very good thing just because occasionally he flashes a really good burst out of his stance,

Well hopefully that problem is fixed with the coaching staff changes. For whatever crazy reason it seemed like Marinelli had WAY too much say in taking “his type of guys” rather than drafting for talent. There’s some instances where scheme fit is important, but we put way too much stock into that in recent years and it’s hurt us. A good coaching staff should be making talent work for them.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Just to add about Henderson - he is now my 2b. Kinlaw 1a. McKinley 2a. Henderson 2b. And that may swap depending on what we do/don't do in FA. Saw a quote I liked last night, don't remember who it was but it made me go - Yep, that's how I see it !
Something to the effect that - Kinlaw is my Arron Donald, and McKinley is my Zack Martin - You want the first, but the second is a great rebound. Would almost have McKinley and Henderson in same category.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Just to add about Henderson - he is now my 2b. Kinlaw 1a. McKinley 2a. Henderson 2b. And that may swap depending on what we do/don't do in FA. Saw a quote I liked last night, don't remember who it was but it made me go - Yep, that's how I see it !
Something to the effect that - Kinlaw is my Arron Donald, and McKinley is my Zack Martin - You want the first, but the second is a great rebound. Would almost have McKinley and Henderson in same category.
Who is McKinley? You mean McKinney? B/c he's not an All-Pro, HoF calibre player. There is a massive drop from Kinlaw to McKinney...

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Im at this point against both safeties no matter what. For the value of the 17th pick they are trash.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Who is McKinley? You mean McKinney? B/c he's not an All-Pro, HoF calibre player. There is a massive drop from Kinlaw to McKinney...QUOTE]
Yes McKinney. No one is comparing him to our pro-bowl LG, the point was if we cant get the player we/I want - you sometimes get lucky with your second choice. If, as I expect will happen, Kinlaw will be gone by the time we are on the clock, taking McKinney or Henderson would fill another huge need for us. Not ideal, but would certainly help the defense.
Don't think we could hope to repeat drafting Martin after Donald was off the board, esp. when Jerry wanted Menziel !

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yea but the point is they didn't get lucky with Martin becoming an All Pro, he was a way higher rated player than McKinney.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Yea but the point is they didn't get lucky with Martin becoming an All Pro, he was a way higher rated player than McKinney.
Sigh, they got lucky when Stephen managed to talk Jerry out of drafting Manziel. Never said they got lucky with the player Martin is/became - this conversation was about the pick ! Feel like you are arguing just for the sake of arguing. the quote was about missing who you really wanted but the consolation prize (who you picked next) sometimes works as well. The quote was from Dan Rogers on Blogging the boys, and ended with this "Javon Kinlaw is my Arron Donald pick of this draft and Xavier Mckinney is my Martin pick. Cross my fingers for one, but will happily settle for the other".

Would add Henderson to the McKinney mix, So be it, still stand by the premise !

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Sigh, they got lucky when Stephen managed to talk Jerry out of drafting Manziel. Never said they got lucky with the player Martin is/became - this conversation was about the pick ! Feel like you are arguing just for the sake of arguing. the quote was about missing who you really wanted but the consolation prize (who you picked next) sometimes works as well. The quote was from Dan Rogers on Blogging the boys, and ended with this "Javon Kinlaw is my Arron Donald pick of this draft and Xavier Mckinney is my Martin pick. Cross my fingers for one, but will happily settle for the other".

Would add Henderson to the McKinney mix, So be it, still stand by the premise !
But the point is that it would be lucky if McKinney became a Martin-calibre player, so the comp to Martin isn't really fair. It would be lucky if McKinney turns into that, it wasn't lucky that Martin did.