Big12 officials WVU/texas

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
What a freaking joke. These refs are home cooking for the longhorns. I hope WVU hangs 70 on the horns.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
uQTozbt.jpg

Texas last TD play should have been called dead. Home cooking at its finest.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
What a game! It was pretty obvious the refs were favoring Texas though. Did you notice on the final WVU TD throw, the previous play resulted in a 1st down and the clock still ran even while the ref was still holding the ball to allow for substitutions. A good 5+ seconds came off the clock, I've never seen that before :laugh:

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
What a game! It was pretty obvious the refs were favoring Texas though. Did you notice on the final WVU TD throw, the previous play resulted in a 1st down and the clock still ran even while the ref was still holding the ball to allow for substitutions. A good 5+ seconds came off the clock, I've never seen that before :laugh:

That was the worst officiating I've ever seen in my entire life.

StylisticS

Reaction score
I mean the officiating was bad but WVU got away with some things last night as well such as the horse collar tackle which should not have been called. The refs also weren't that kind to Texas. On the possession where WVU stopped Texas inside the 5, Collin Johnson got the first down on the 3rd down play. Why they didn't review that spot is beyond me. Same with Ehlinger's run when it was 31-27. Should have reviewed that spot as well. No matter. Texas finishes those drives, they likely win the game.

Texas needs to recruit on the d-line. They were exceptionally bad last week and this week. In fact, the entire defense has been bad the last two weeks.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I mean the officiating was bad but WVU got away with some things last night as well such as the horse collar tackle which should not have been called. The refs also weren't that kind to Texas. On the possession where WVU stopped Texas inside the 5, Collin Johnson got the first down on the 3rd down play. Why they didn't review that spot is beyond me. Same with Ehlinger's run when it was 31-27. Should have reviewed that spot as well. No matter. Texas finishes those drives, they likely win the game.

Texas needs to recruit on the d-line. They were exceptionally bad last week and this week. In fact, the entire defense has been bad the last two weeks.

The horse collar was a bad call but at least they didn't throw the kid out of the game. There is no defending a single official in that game. I saw 18 point swing on penalties but I can not verify that myself.

StylisticS

Reaction score
The horse collar was a bad call but at least they didn't throw the kid out of the game. There is no defending a single official in that game. I saw 18 point swing on penalties but I can not verify that myself.
Yeah that call to throw the kid out was a horrible call. They need to rescind that and make him play the entire game next week if he has to miss the first half of next weeks game. But Big 12 officials are horrible. Have been for years and Texas sometimes benefit and sometimes they don't. Every team in the conference does unfortunately.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was the worst officiating I've ever seen in my entire life.
I will one up you on that with last night's game. The fix was in on the BIG 12 wanting their best chance to get in the final four and that was a horribly officiated game and if I were WVA, I'd be looking into another conference, the Big 12 is the cesspool of college football. WVA needs to be in the ACC anyway.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I will one up you on that with last night's game. The fix was in on the BIG 12 wanting their best chance to get in the final four and that was a horribly officiated game and if I were WVA, I'd be looking into another conference, the Big 12 is the cesspool of college football. WVA needs to be in the ACC anyway.

They need to be in the ACC but the ACC wouldn't even offer them membership. Not prestigious enough academically for the likes of Florida st, UNC, Pittsburgh, Clemson. Plus WVU would really be a force in the ACC in both major Basketball and Football. I'm afraid last night though our idiot coach lost that game. It's hard enough to overcome two scope and scores but to go for it on 4th down well within FG range and not get it just because ticks me off. We lost by 3 points that we could have easily had.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They need to be in the ACC but the ACC wouldn't even offer them membership. Not prestigious enough academically for the likes of Florida st, UNC, Pittsburgh, Clemson. Plus WVU would really be a force in the ACC in both major Basketball and Football. I'm afraid last night though our idiot coach lost that game. It's hard enough to overcome two scope and scores but to go for it on 4th down well within FG range and not get it just because ticks me off. We lost by 3 points that we could have easily had.
I don't think it's about the prestige as much as money. Can WVA grow the pie for the ACC?

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I don't think it's about the prestige as much as money. Can WVA grow the pie for the ACC?

Well they have a top 25 football and basketball program annually for the most part. The fan base travels very well for even being a big12 school so imagine ACC. WVU played UVA in the tire bowl the weekend after Christmas one year. My drive home normally took 5 hours and it took me 8 1/2 hours because of the traffic into Charlotte starting in WV. By the way the UVA prep band did a skit of two WVU cousins getting married at halftime and caught a bunch of slack for it but I digress.

WVU only brings positive things to the ACC but it's more about the look that WVU is not a sexy school. WVU is a better sports all around University than Pitt,Va tech, Syracuse, Miami, Clemson, Ga tech, Boston College, Duke. It's been a long time since any of them finished with multiple sports teams finish highly ranked. Oh yeah Louisville!!! Please tell me WVU should complete with any of them with a 70k seat football stadium and a 14k seat basketball stadium.

They used academics as an excuse to exclude WVU during realignment.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The ACC already took a massive compromise academically with Louisville.
The alumni have given them hell for it ever since.
Theyve always prided themselves for combining athletics and academics.

Louisville was more than TWICE as low (171 to previous 80) than the previously lowest ranked ACC school academically...at least in US News.
That really is dramatic in a 14 team conference.
And most of their schools are way, way higher than 80.
:laugh:
But I guess if they added the Mounties it would give them two.
Btw, Ive had relatives graduate from WVU, so im not trying to diss them. That place is actually pretty cool.
Just the facts.

Last edited:

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The ACC already took a massive compromise academically with Louisville.
The alumni have given them hell for it ever since.
Theyve always prided themselves for combining athletics and academics.

Louisville was more than TWICE as low (171 to previous 80) than the previously lowest ranked ACC school academically...at least in US News.
That really is dramatic in a 14 team conference.
And most of their schools are way, way higher than 80.
But I guess if they added the Mounties it would give them two.
Btw, Ive had relatives graduate from WVU, so im not trying to diss them. That place is actually pretty cool.
Just the facts.

Don't give me the academics crap when the stuff is going on in chapel hill and they do nothing about it. And spare the the excuses they use in the "findings".

Far as I am concerned half of the schools in the ACC can choke on their hypocrisy.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Academics are about money and how much you can bring in around things like Federal Grants etc. It is about Academics all day long. ACC has snubbed WV like 3 times. Why WV would want to continue to try and land in the ACC is beyond me but it seems like that's where a lot of WV fans would like to go. I, personally think that the SEC is a better landing spot for them but I don't know how likely that is either.

I will say this, before anybody jumps to any conclusions on where WV should jump, I think it's important to keep in mind what being part of the Big 12 means for WV. The Big 12 is one of the wealthiest Conferences in the Country and they split between 10 teams. That's huge. If WV joins the ACC, they take a significant pay cut. On the other hand, if they join the SEC, they probably make a little more money but will they get an invite to the SEC? Who would the SEC kick to get WV in? WV is never getting an invite to the Big 10 so that's really not an option.

Sports is a very small piece of the puzzle, in terms of revenue source for some of these Universities. How good of a Football or Basketball or Baseball team you have isn't necessarily a driver. To me, WV is probably in the best possible situation they can be in, at this point, being a member of the Big 12. I think wanting to depart is a real question mark because what situation are you going to land in that is better then the one you have now and make no mistake, there are lots of other Universities out there that are waiting for a chance to join a Power 5 Conference, especially one like the Big 12 that only has 10 teams and splits revenue evenly.

JMO

DFWJC

Reaction score
Don't give me the academics crap when the stuff is going on in chapel hill and they do nothing about it. And spare the the excuses they use in the "findings".

Far as I am concerned half of the schools in the ACC can choke on their hypocrisy.
Tell us how you really feel, big guy

DFWJC

Reaction score
Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest , UNC, Boston College, Syracuse, Ga Tech, Clemson., Pitt......etc
They do care

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest , UNC, Boston College, Syracuse, Ga Tech, Clemson., Pitt......etc
They do care

Then there is Florida State with their superior academics and UNC is not all that great either not even mentioning all the "special courses" they offered. UNC and Miami are two schools since SMU that deserves major MAJOR sanctions.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Then there is Florida State with their superior academics and UNC is not all that great either not even mentioning all the "special courses" they offered. UNC and Miami are two schools since SMU that deserves major MAJOR sanctions.
UNC has been ranked in the top 4-7 state schools academically in the nation for nearly 40 straight years. FSU is not remotely in the same ballpark.
Yes, they had the embarrassing scandal in the athletic department...but the actual university where real students attend has super high standards. Historicially they felt the athletes had too--but they have a huge patch to fill in the football and hoops in that regard. Not at all related the school overall though.
And the alumni were hugely pissed about that scandal.

(top 10 and normally 5-6 state universities per US News in last 30 years....Cal, Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, UCLA in various order for 30-40 years straight

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Not as high Duke (private) or UVa, but right there after them along with Wake (private). Look it up.
Florida St and NC State were ranked a good bit lower...yet they rank way higher than most SEC or Big 12 schools.

Now, the outlier by far is Louisville...huge outlier.

All I'm saying is that the alumni do care.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Why does UNC deserve major sanctions?