Big12 officials WVU/texas

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
UNC has been ranked in the top 4-7 state schools academically in the nation for nearly 40 straight years. FSU is not remotely in the same ballpark.
Yes, they had the embarrassing scandal in the athletic department...but the actual university where real students attend has super high standards. Historicially they felt the athletes had too--but they have a huge patch to fill in the football and hoops in that regard. Not at all related the school overall though.
And the alumni were hugely pissed about that scandal.

(top 10 and normally 5-6 state universities per US News in last 30 years....Cal, Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, UCLA in various order for 30-40 years straight

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Not as high Duke (private) or UVa, but right there after them along with Wake (private). Look it up.
Florida St and NC State were ranked a good bit lower...yet they rank way higher than most SEC or Big 12 schools.

Now, the outlier by far is Louisville...huge outlier.

All I'm saying is that the alumni do care.

I think they are ranked 30th among all schools nationally.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think they are ranked 30th among all schools nationally.
Yep. The Ivies and other top privates (like Northwestern, Duke, Stanford) take up most of the top 20 or so..... then the top publics--which include Michigan, UCLA, UNC, UVa, Cal....

It varies slightly from year to year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yep. The Ivies and other top privates (like Northwestern, Duke, Stanford) take up most of the top 20 or so..... then the top publics--which include Michigan, UCLA, UNC, UVa, Cal....

It varies slightly from year to year.

Yes, highly academic schools such as Harvard, Yale, MIT, they dominate the top. 30 is very respectable for a Public School.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I know a little about it. Why do you think they deserve to be under sanctions? I assume you believe that the UNC Basketball team (Roy Williams) committed violations?

It was actually before Roy if I remember correctly and yeah there were a lot of issues that they just dropped. The original investigation and report was a lot harder on the program than the final results. But you will have that when you have one of the true blue blood programs.

Let it be known that I think Roy Williams is about as stand up as it comes in College Sports.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It was actually before Roy if I remember correctly and yeah there were a lot of issues that they just dropped. The original investigation and report was a lot harder on the program than the final results. But you will have that when you have one of the true blue blood programs.

Let it be known that I think Roy Williams is about as stand up as it comes in College Sports.

I think there was definitely wrong doing there but I don't think it was on behalf of the Athletic Department. I mean, Roy Williams came to the University and told them that he did not want his players participating in those courses. They basically told him to shut up. This entire thing was completely driven by the Faculty and because of that, because it was open to all students, that's why the NCAA didn't want to get involved with it. I think the NCAA and the North Carolina Faculty are more at fault here then the Mens Basketball Program.

I do think there should be some discipline that takes place but the NCAA is not going to want to get their hands dirty there because it's potentially an Optics Nightmare nationally and because it's very, very likely that UNC is not the only University that was involved in this type of program. I mean, the whole discussion we were having about academics and rankings is tied to this type of behavior and that, to me, is really where and how the University should be punished but the NCAA is an Athletic body and how do they go about disciplining a Faculty or University for something that it has condoned and endorsed?

That's the problem to me but again, I don't think it's fair to lay out the Athletic Department in a situation like this. I think something should happen but I just think the discipline should be laid down in the proper place.

JMO