Bigger drop off at corner or OT

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You look at the history, very rarely are quality left tackles taken outside of the top 10. A few exceptions, but not too many.
If we get the Carolina pick (draft quarterback) we can get Slater or the Virginia Tech guy at 10.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I’m ready to pick anyone on defense in the 1st. OT is important but unless Sewell is there somehow, then I’m not taking an OL. We can’t keep spending first round picks on the OL.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I see this as a deep draft for OT. Spencer Brown, Radunz, Humphrey, Alaric Jackson, the wisconsin kid, Darrisaw, Sewell, Slater, and I like this Walker Little from Stanford. Trey Smith from Tennessee is listed as a guard but has a tackles body and SOME have him listed as a tackle.So if we dont draft a tackle in the first 2 rounds, I am ok. But lets be clear, we need to find our next Doug Free at tackle in the draft in rd 3. Humphrey and Little are guys that should be there.Both can start Day 1.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If we get the Carolina pick (draft quarterback) we can get Slater or the Virginia Tech guy at 10.
I think you are spending too much time in the fan zone as everyday they have another Dak doomsday thread. He isn't going anywhere.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I am saying what I believe the Joneses are thinking. We need a team overhaul in my opinion. I would sign and trade Dak get two first round picks then draft a quarterback and the best offensive tackle we can get with the first two picks in this draft. Praying that we trade with Carolina. Hopefully by 2022 we will be a contender with a quarterback and left tackle under rookie contracts.
This scenario is not realistic. Both management and MM wants Dak back as their QB.

J-man

Reaction score
IMHO there is much better CB depth than OT depth this year.

J-man

Reaction score
I kinda doubt there's ever going to be a draft with more depth at OT than CB...just not enough humans beings walking around at 6'3+ and 300 lbs+.

With that said there are some pretty good 2nd/3rd round OT prospects this year- can see these guys going anywhere between picks 20-75

Teven Jenkens, OK St (RT only)
Dillon Radunz, N Dakota St
Samuel Cosmi, Texas
Alex Leatherwood, Bama
Walker Little, Stanford (big time injury concerns)
Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame
Jalen Mayfield, Michigan (RT)
James Hudson, Cincy (high upside, little experience)

I think some of those guys (Cosmi, Letherwood, etc.) will go before we can afford to spend a pick on one.
That is, if they don't do it and draft Slater at 10.
Mayfield, Hudson and I like Little, any of these guys would be a good pick in the late 3rd or 4th if available.

J-man

Reaction score
I am saying what I believe the Joneses are thinking. We need a team overhaul in my opinion. I would sign and trade Dak get two first round picks then draft a quarterback and the best offensive tackle we can get with the first two picks in this draft. Praying that we trade with Carolina. Hopefully by 2022 we will be a contender with a quarterback and left tackle under rookie contracts.

First of all let me say that I don't agree with this at all. A complete blow up and rebuild? Wow man no thanks. But my real question is why are you praying we trade with Carolina? The 8th pick isn't getting you one of the 2 good QB's in this class. The 8th pick gets you Fields and he will be ave at best. Again, no thanks.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
First of all let me say that I don't agree with this at all. A complete blow up and rebuild? Wow man no thanks. But my real question is why are you praying we trade with Carolina? The 8th pick isn't getting you one of the 2 good QB's in this class. The 8th pick gets you Fields and he will be ave at best. Again, no thanks.
Hey brother. I don’t think the Cowboys will trade Dak and a deal will get done soon. I am just saying what I would do if Dak holds out for top dollar. The Panthers want a quarterback and they supposedly would be willing to give up a fortune for Watson. Dak is certainly as good as Watson but is older. Two first round picks would work for me for Dak in a sign and trade. I am on team rebuild. Dak is not the problem but in a trade he can be the solution.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
This scenario is not realistic. Both management and MM wants Dak back as their QB.
Everyone knows Dak is going to get a long term deal with the Cowboys. I am just looking at scenarios. I think we need a full rebuild. I am having fun. The draft is two months away.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Everyone knows Dak is going to get a long term deal with the Cowboys. I am just looking at scenarios. I think we need a full rebuild. I am having fun. The draft is two months away.

We do need a full rebuild..

The front office is going to operate like we are close but we are not close at all.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I’m ready to pick anyone on defense in the 1st. OT is important but unless Sewell is there somehow, then I’m not taking an OL. We can’t keep spending first round picks on the OL.
They haven't used a first on an OL since 2014...that was basically an entire roster ago.

Actually, off the top of my head, Martin, Tyron and DLaw are the only guys on the roster left when that pick was made.

John813

Reaction score
Obviously history isn't guaranteed but the 2017 CB class was loaded and had depth.

1st round CBs were:
Lattimore
Humphrey
Jackson
White
Conley*

Day 2 guys were:

K. King
sidney Jones
Q. Wilson
Tabor
Awuzie
Witherspoon
Moreau
Griffin
Lewis
Sutton
Tankersley
Douglas
Langley

3 out of the 4 guys in round 1 are legit talents
Day 2 guys flashed some talent but no one really stood out over the past 4 years outside of King who then faded hard.

If we picked 10th in 2017, we could of had any of the day 1 guys.
So, obviously it's a small sample size but if Surtain/Farley are rated highly by our scouts, I hope we don't pass on them cause there may be a "good enough" corner in day 2.

Edit: Missed Conley in day 1. So, 3 of 5.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They haven't used a first on an OL since 2014...that was basically an entire roster ago.

Actually, off the top of my head, Martin, Tyron and DLaw are the only guys on the roster left when that pick was made.

I just can't get on board with doctorchickens way of thinking.

If you're going to pigeon hole yourself into a player then do it in Free Agency. The draft is for selecting the best players available at positions of need.

Of course we need defense but if the OT's or Pitts is graded higher then you take them.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I’m not paying much attention to this draft class so far but those in the know please tell me.

Is there better CB depth or OT depth in this draft?

Meaning..

Would we be better off selecting an Offensive Tackle in the 1st and corner in the 2nd or the other way around?

What some names of projected 2nd round guys I need to look at...?
Id go OT in the first depending on Tyron and Collins of course. Other wise I would go LB, CB, DT/S

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We do need a full rebuild..

The front office is going to operate like we are close but we are not close at all.
Catch I got your back on this one but we both know what is going to happen. Dak gets extended. We sign some dumpster dive free agents and we draft defense. The Cowboys will be contenders in the NFC East because the division is bad. The Joneses will continue to get richer. The end....:hammer::banghead:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Catch I got your back on this one but we both know what is going to happen. Dak gets extended. We sign some dumpster dive free agents and we draft defense. The Cowboys will be contenders in the NFC East because the division is bad. The Joneses will continue to get richer. The end....:hammer::banghead:

Yep.. The goal isn't to win championships. It's to remain relevant.. Secret sauce.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I just can't get on board with doctorchickens way of thinking.

If you're going to pigeon hole yourself into a player then do it in Free Agency. The draft is for selecting the best players available at positions of need.

Of course we need defense but if the OT's or Pitts is graded higher then you take them.

I’m definitely a BPA guy. Refusing BPA is how you end up with Ellis instead of Randy Moss. I’d definitely consider Pitts.

I just wish BPA would be a good defensive player for once. We’ve drafted studs on offense over the past couple decades, but where are the defensive studs? Demarcus Ware? Byron Jones is the closet thing to a franchise player on defense I can remember.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not paying much attention to this draft class so far but those in the know please tell me.

Is there better CB depth or OT depth in this draft?

Meaning..

Would we be better off selecting an Offensive Tackle in the 1st and corner in the 2nd or the other way around?

What some names of projected 2nd round guys I need to look at...?

Good question.
I think they have to go CB, regardless of the drop-off in talent in the draft. You go by your draft board of BPA when it comes to DB, OL, LB at this point. But defense is needed.
A CB will step in and contribute right away. As I feel the FO and Coaches feel goos about the OL. And if (IF) collins and Smith return healthy, that is what they are counting on. And they know best, our opinions don't count.

I know your concerns over their health from previous posts, and can't disagree, but I think they have to go they will be fine, and draft a CB.