Bigger drop off at corner or OT

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m definitely a BPA guy. Refusing BPA is how you end up with Ellis instead of Randy Moss. I’d definitely consider Pitts.

I just wish BPA would be a good defensive player for once. We’ve drafted studs on offense over the past couple decades, but where are the defensive studs? Demarcus Ware? Byron Jones is the closet thing to a franchise player on defense I can remember.

We take defensive players.. They just don't always turn out good or we don't want to pay them like Byron Jones.

The NFL is not a defensive league anyways. We just need a group of players that hold opposing offenses to field goals and get the occasional turnover.

Making the offense as explosive as possible will improve everything including the defense.

The problem with this Cowboys group and their QB is they are better when Dak does less and Zeke does more.

817Gill

Reaction score
I see this as a deep draft for OT. Spencer Brown, Radunz, Humphrey, Alaric Jackson, the wisconsin kid, Darrisaw, Sewell, Slater, and I like this Walker Little from Stanford. Trey Smith from Tennessee is listed as a guard but has a tackles body and SOME have him listed as a tackle.So if we dont draft a tackle in the first 2 rounds, I am ok. But lets be clear, we need to find our next Doug Free at tackle in the draft in rd 3. Humphrey and Little are guys that should be there.Both can start Day 1.
Round 3 is the sweet spot with us having two picks.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
The better question is the depth at Safety vs O-line.
How deep can we afford to wait at Safety 2 rounds or 3, versus 4th or 5th at O-line. And are we looking for a starter at free safety vs a backup at the line .....

75boyz

Reaction score
I think the writing is on the wall for Tyron and only they know about La'el..

Also, if you're investing like this in Dak you can't take a risk for these guys to be out and potentially have the offense fall apart.

The WR's are now the strength of this offense and without time to throw we are in trouble.

I know it was Dalton in the game against AZ and the first game against Washington but what a difference blocking made vs no blocking to speak of.

You also have Chase Young to deal with and he'll be playing long after Tyron Smith is gone.

So i'm all for taking a defender or whatever but no way do I pass on a OT if there is a legit one available.

Whether considered hijacking a thread or not responding to an OP, I have offered my opinion on several different posts about how this team's starting OTs performance impact winning ball games.
For the reasons you mentioned above and this team's recent history showing of how non starter caliber backups contribute to losses is easy to see.

Tampa's starting d line dominated Bakhtiaris back up. Tampa's d line then dominated Fischer and the 2 other backups.

Washington's d line dominated Dallas's backups in both games. Even NY Giants dominated Dallas' backups in the second Giants game. These are division opponents.

There is great uncertainty concerning long term health issues of both starting OTs.

Unless Martin were named as an actual backup to Tyron there is no capable starting LT on this squad.

Steele and Knight are spot starters at best imho.

Collins was mentioned as a possible bone on bone situation with his injury last year but yet to be confirmed. Still sounds like a big risk not to be considering another replacement imo.

Again, not Steele or Knight.

The current interior starters and depth have the potential to be coached up by Philbin as a respectable group imo.

I just don't see it at the tackle position.

So if you ain't taking a QB in the 1st, then I'd take the highest graded tackle available. But that's just me. And that is including the dumpster fire that was the defense at several positions last year.

If you ain't got a Left Tackle you ain't got squat.

Chaz Green anyone?

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Is there a big difference in the 1st round guys and 2nd round guys?

My worry is that the rules make a lot of these corners kinda look the same and i'd hate to draft a guy when there is similar value a round later.
Especially if your gonna play zone 75% of the time and you really just need a decent cover corner whos good at recognition and a sure tackler. We'd be better off building up the interior of our defense. I wouldn't mind taking Barmore in the first, possibly a trade down and then going for Corner/Saftey/MLB/Oline in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th. We need a DT that can collapse the pocket something we haven't had since Glover played here. I really like Jevon Holland from Oregon, he's a super smooth runner who just glides around, he's distinctive, he's a playmaker and it's looking like he'll be there in the 2nd. He can play both safety, corner and could line up in the slot. Also a good punt returner.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I’m not paying much attention to this draft class so far but those in the know please tell me.

Is there better CB depth or OT depth in this draft?

Meaning..

Would we be better off selecting an Offensive Tackle in the 1st and corner in the 2nd or the other way around?

What some names of projected 2nd round guys I need to look at...?

I think we’re more likely to grab a starting CB in round two than we are a starting LT. Take Slater or Sewell if one is on the board.