"Bigger than bigger" iPhone 6.. who is getting one?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I dislike it.

I really liked the size of the iPhone 5. The 6 isn't horrible, but the 6 plus (or whatever it's called) looks desperate. Looks like they're chasing--!lost without Jobs.

I mean, unless it comes with a wall mount. My tv just went out.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 6 plus SHOULD start out with 32 GB base model. Not 16.

It's nice that Apple is making bigger screens but if they are not going to allow expandable storage on the large phone (SD Cards) than at least have the base model be 32 GBs.

This would really come in handy for those that have a lot of music and apps. It would also come in real handy when you have an IOS version update (say 7 to 8) and the only way you can do the update is connecting to your computer OR removing a majority of your music/apps/photos because the installation requires a LARGE amount of room (wife's said 5 gigs, have read higher).

There was a few reasons I initially switched from Apple to Android (samsung).

I wanted a larger screen ( Apple has updated that)

I wanted upgradeable storage for my music and apps without paying $100 per level (apple has NOT done that)
It is a shame that apple charges a $100 upcharge for different levels when you can get it MUCH cheaper with an Micro SD Card.

I wanted more ability to customize my phone (not jailbreaking). I wanted that initially and once I switched I did not realize how much I would change things around and how limited the I phone was in this department. Now although Apple is still very limited in this area...it seems they have made an effort to let a few things change with a choice of keyboards and I read somewhere there are some widgits in the works if they are not already available but I do not know what these widgits would be.

With all of that said...I think the wife will wind up getting the Iphone 6 Plus. Although I think she may wish she just got the Iphone 6.

Me....If I get a bigger phone...It would probably be the Samsung Note 4. Pretty much every tech spec is better than the Iphone 6 Plus. It also has a 32 gb base model and I could take my 32 gb SD card and put it in for 64 gb total or maybe just get a bigger sd card.

If I do not want a larger phone...I might just skip the Galaxy S5 and Iphone 6 and see what they bring out next and stick with my S3. I really don't see anything from the Iphone6 or S5 that blows me out of the water where I just HAVE to have them. But that could change as the wife gets one and the new bug starts biting me for a new phone. But as of now mine is older but still runs pretty good and I have a back up S3.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
the iPhone sucks and has always sucked, much like most of the crap that Apple puts out.

They're smart in the way they market stuff and their business model, not much else.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the iPhone sucks and has always sucked, much like most of the crap that Apple puts out.

They're smart in the way they market stuff and their business model, not much else.

There are a few areas where Iphone/Apple is far superior to Android

I think they have a very stable OS. I have had Iphone and switched to Android (samsung). There is no question the IOS is a much more stable operating system that does not glitch out or lock up as much as Android. Android is not bad about it but it does happen from time to time. I NEVER had that issue with my iphone. I think this has to do with Apple not allowing to add automatic bloat ware from the carriers (verizon & AT&T) like android phones will have from carriers. Apple also does not have to worry about additional programming or bloatware from individual phone makers like Android does. So when you get an android phone you not only get the android operating system, you also get bloat ware from the phone maker (samsung for example) and the carrier (AT&T for example). With an Iphone you do not have that.

The one thing that I hate about the samsung android is the Kies System. Itunes computer to phone software is VASTLY superior to Kies. It is not even close. This is for interaction between computer and phone and the software.

Stand alone you can move stuff from the android phone to the computer and back easier than in the Iphone but for an interactive software between the two Itunes is so much better and frankly Samsung keeping their program as crappy as it is really is confounding.

The other area Apple/Iphone/IOS is far superior is when they roll out a new version or updates to the main software.

If you have an apple device (unless it is a few generations old) you can get the update when it is released no matter what version you have and no matter what carrier you have.

With android it depends on the phone maker you have and it depends if you are on verizon, AT&T or other carrier as to when you can get your update.

You might have the newest Android OS and get it on a LG device from Verizon and not be able to get it for a Samsung device on AT&T until months later.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
There is no question the IOS is a much more stable operating system that does not glitch out or lock up as much as Android. Android is not bad about it but it does happen from time to time. I NEVER had that issue with my iphone.

my wife's iphone and ipad have issues...my android phone hasnt had any lol.

the best was when the ios 8 update destroyed her puzzle app and made all the puzzles blank black abysses. She had to remove and reinstall it to fix it and it deleted all her progress.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Something I have noticed that has changed.

When I had the iphone...all the apps in the app store were $0.99. This was a few years ago of course.
One of the first things I noticed when I switched to andorid was going into the google play store and seeing many apps that was over that price and some that were quite expensive for an app.

Now if I go into app store (mostly for the wife when she is looking for something) I noticed that they too now have many apps that are more than $0.99.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
There are a few areas where Iphone/Apple is far superior to Android

I think they have a very stable OS. I have had Iphone and switched to Android (samsung). There is no question the IOS is a much more stable operating system that does not glitch out or lock up as much as Android. Android is not bad about it but it does happen from time to time. I NEVER had that issue with my iphone. I think this has to do with Apple not allowing to add automatic bloat ware from the carriers (verizon & AT&T) like android phones will have from carriers. Apple also does not have to worry about additional programming or bloatware from individual phone makers like Android does. So when you get an android phone you not only get the android operating system, you also get bloat ware from the phone maker (samsung for example) and the carrier (AT&T for example). With an Iphone you do not have that.r.
I had one iPhone for 3 weeks and it was frozen about half the time. You're right about the the computer syncing and bloatware, but I don't do that much on my phone for that type of stuff to bother me.

Mostly I just can't stand Apple, I don't really have any technical reason for it lol

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
my wife's iphone and ipad have issues...my android phone hasnt had any lol.

the best was when the ios 8 update destroyed her puzzle app and made all the puzzles blank black abysses. She had to remove and reinstall it to fix it and it deleted all her progress.

That may happen when you have a new operating software and the individual Apps developers have not updated their apps to adjust to that operating software. That is more on the apps developer than the OS. That has happened with some of my apps in the Android after upgrading software.
Right now there are people with the Iphone 6 plus complaining that some of their Apps look fuzzy. Once those apps developers readjust and update the apps to accommodate the larger screen size it will be fixed. Again, not an OS problem.

Most times the apps developers will update their software and send out the update and it will work.

What I am talking about is when a phone, or tablet, basically locks up and has to be restarted. Or while in an app the app just restarts itself.

I NEVER had that problem with my iphone. I have had it a number of times with my Android.

I have had other android users tell me they have had similar problems as well.

It is not something that is the norm by any stretch. But it is more on the android vs the iphone.

Last edited:

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had one iPhone for 3 weeks and it was frozen about half the time. You're right about the the computer syncing and bloatware, but I don't do that much on my phone for that type of stuff to bother me.

Mostly I just can't stand Apple, I don't really have any technical reason for it lol

If you don't do that much on your phone...you are the perfect candidate for IOS and Iphone. They like people who like simple lol.

At one time their marketing was for those that were hip.

Now if I ever got my parents a smart phone it would be an Iphone instead of an android because it would be much more simple for them to use and less chance for them to screw it up haha.

The last time we upgraded our phones I told the wife I wanted something more so I switched to android. She thought the NFC picture swap option was cool so she said she wanted the same phone. I told her she would probably be better off sticking with the Iphone as she is not tech savy at all. Nope...she made her mind up without doing any research and just wanted it because the NFC picture swapping thing she saw on the commercial.

She had the phone a month before switching to go get an iphone.

I think Iphone is for those that want something simple and don't have to fuss with it much.
I think Androids are for for people who want more and want to customize their phones more.

But that is just my opinion.

jimmy40

Reaction score
I just got my first smartphone a month ago, didn't need it or want it but kids talked me into it, LG G2, I guess it's a good phone.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just got my first smartphone a month ago, didn't need it or want it but kids talked me into it, LG G2, I guess it's a good phone.

I was looking at some specs of different phones and the newer LG G3 is pretty darn impressive. I think the only thing that was getting bad reviews was the battery life.

I did not want a cell phone for years. Wife gave me one some years ago but it did not get much service at work so I found it useless for emergency purposes and as it was an older flip phone the games sucked. lol.

But since we got better service in my area I have found that I enjoy my phone a good deal. I used to spend a large amount of time on it playing games and surfing the net but now I do that more on my tablet. But still it is nice to text with the wife instead of getting calls at work from her. I think you might grow into liking it, or tolerating it.:D

I tell you what I find funny. I am no young pup but seeing my wife's mother playing candy crush on her iphone cracks me up. She loves it.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I find it amazing how far cell phones have come and how far they will go. I still remember my dad being the first one in the neighborhood to get a car phone for his Mercedes 380. I used to drive it around when I hit 16 thinking I was bigger than the world :D

oldtyle_phone2_2007_02_20.jpg

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it amazing how far cell phones have come and how far they will go. I still remember my dad being the first one in the neighborhood to get a car phone for his Mercedes 380. I used to drive it around when I hit 16 thinking I was bigger than the world :D

oldtyle_phone2_2007_02_20.jpg

It's funny too if you think about the changes in the smart phone market just over the past few years.

The smaller the flip phone the better was the trend.
Then the smart phone came around and for a bit it was trying to get smaller.
Now the trend is to get the screen bigger so the phones are getting bigger.

Steve Job's mantra at Apple was the Iphone was never going to get big and the other big phones he called hummers and others called Toast and so on.
Now they saw the trend and have started following it to become larger.

One wonders how large they will get. Will they eventually be tablets instead of phablets and phones...or will the start trending downward to smaller phones again.

It is interesting how these things change.

jimmy40

Reaction score
I saw a guy jogging the other day with a phone so big it looked like he had a flat screen tv strapped on his arm. I mean it really looked ridiculous.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I got this bad boy a couple of weeks ago:

LG-G3.jpg

I'm very happy with it. It's got a 1440x2560 res screen that makes everything look amazingly sharp. Plus, it's speedy quick.

honyock

Reaction score
I had pre-ordered the 6 Plus. Friday I went to the Apple Store and played with it for awhile, realized it was just too big for one-handed use. That's the same reaction I've always had when trying the bigger Android phones that friends have lugged around. I get it that they make a nice small tablet replacement, but the ergonomics of using it throughout the day just didn't fit for me. I basically run my business on my phone and that 5.5 inch screen range is just too big to use it for my needs.

So I cancelled my order and got the 6, smaller version. Very nice.