biggest bust in cowboy draft??

1Ware1

Reaction score
I personally am going with Ebeneezer Ekuban

But Carpenter is starting to make me wander

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
The one that rolls off the top of my head is David LaFleur.

Yes, yes, injuries, but a bust nonetheless.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Rod Hill....this guy was our top pick in the year he was drafted...anyone remember him?
Didn't think so.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Cannon JR and Lafluer are up there

Deveren Johnson might have been the most ridiculous draft choice - EVER
but late day 2 does not qualify as bust

landryscorner

Reaction score
Bobby carpenter no doubt, I went to 4 cowboy training camps in SA and all I cay say is *below average* , Why is he still with the Cowboys??? pity, and don't say security, we could of easily signed a FA backup linebacker

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
With respect to what he produced along with the expectations, it has to be LaFluer. He was hand picked by Troy Aikman and due to a combination of injuries and inconsistent play became a huge bust.

As for Carpenter, I'm not ready to label him a bust YET, but he is starting to show all the signs of one.

dooomsday

Reaction score
Nors;1741218 said:

More ridiculous that that transvestite Carl Lewis?

Cannon was a injury.

es22

Reaction score
easily kavika Pittman.

We passed up Tony Brackens for this stiff

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
J-DOG;1741206 said:
Rod Hill....this guy was our top pick in the year he was drafted...anyone remember him?
Didn't think so.

absolutely.

Manster68

Reaction score
Actually the worst was Scott Appleton in 1964. This 1st round pick never made the squad.

Other notable 1st round busts:

Tody Smith - 1971
Dennis Homan - 1968
Bill Thomas - 1972
Rod Hill - 1982
Kevin Brooks - 1985
Shante Carver - 1994
David LeFleur - 1997
Bobby Carpenter - 2006 (on the bubble)

Sorry, I do not consider guys like Billy Cannon Jr., Mike Sherrard, Robert Shaw, and Ebeneezer Ekuban busts due to early injuries that they never fully recovered from.

Ekuban was progressing nicely until he suffered back injuries in 2000 in which he was never the same.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I know this goes beyond the intelligence level of alot of people on here, but LaFleur was not a bust...he was actually pretty good, but had a really bad back problem that ruined his career...people dont recall how good of a receiver he was because 1) his career was shortened and 2) Chan Gailey just didnt believe in using the TE much in the passing game...never has, never will...but if anyone can get their hands on it, go back and look at the two td receptions he made as a rookie against Cincinnati...6'7, 270lb guys simply dont make those kinds of receptions...he was also a dominating run blocker

nor was Ekuban a bust...he was a solid, but unspectacular player here who rotted for years under the idiocy of Campo and Zimmer...you people act like he was the first pick of he draft or something

and on LaFleur, please quit with the nonsense of "Aikman handpicked him!!!"...thats not what happened, nor is it even remotely close to the truth

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors;1741218 said:

nor does picking a guy who never played a regular season game due to career ending injury

David

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
dbair1967;1741279 said:
nor does picking a guy who never played a regular season game due to career ending injury

David

if you're talking about cannon......he was injured early during that sizzler ot game against new orleans.

that was a hell of a game on monday night football.

randy white, mike downs and mike renfro were awesome in that game.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
dbair1967;1741277 said:
and on LaFleur, please quit with the nonsense of "Aikman handpicked him!!!"...thats not what happened, nor is it even remotely close to the truth

David

Amazing after all these years...people still get that story wrong.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
dbair1967;1741277 said:
I know this goes beyond the intelligence level of alot of people on here, but LaFleur was not a bust...he was actually pretty good, but had a really bad back problem that ruined his career...people dont recall how good of a receiver he was because 1) his career was shortened and 2) Chan Gailey just didnt believe in using the TE much in the passing game...never has, never will...but if anyone can get their hands on it, go back and look at the two td receptions he made as a rookie against Cincinnati...6'7, 270lb guys simply dont make those kinds of receptions...he was also a dominating run blocker

nor was Ekuban a bust...he was a solid, but unspectacular player here who rotted for years under the idiocy of Campo and Zimmer...you people act like he was the first pick of he draft or something

David

Well set us straight on that one old wise one. Because I do remember that Aikman was asked to work him out and he gave LaFluer rave reviews and said he would love to have him. Now my memory may be slipping but it doesn't imagine things.