biggest bust in cowboy draft??

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Sarge;1741482 said:
Carver/Kavika - same thing. Too hell-bent on replacing Charles and took these guys way too early.

Hey Sarge...you finally have an AV that's perfect for you. A turkey. :D

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
J-DOG;1741206 said:
Rod Hill....this guy was our top pick in the year he was drafted...anyone remember him?
Didn't think so.

Hands down.....this is the WINNER from all that really know!:bow:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
1Ware1;1741178 said:
I personally am going with Ebeneezer Ekuban

A guy who stays in the league for 9 years is not a bust in any way shape or form.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cowboybacker4life;1741429 said:
My pick would be Clay Shriver the center

A third round pick can't be a huge bust. The league is littered with 3rd round picks who never saw the field.

joseephuss

Reaction score
dbair1967;1741277 said:
I know this goes beyond the intelligence level of alot of people on here, but LaFleur was not a bust...he was actually pretty good, but had a really bad back problem that ruined his career...people dont recall how good of a receiver he was because 1) his career was shortened and 2) Chan Gailey just didnt believe in using the TE much in the passing game...never has, never will...but if anyone can get their hands on it, go back and look at the two td receptions he made as a rookie against Cincinnati...6'7, 270lb guys simply dont make those kinds of receptions...he was also a dominating run blocker

nor was Ekuban a bust...he was a solid, but unspectacular player here who rotted for years under the idiocy of Campo and Zimmer...you people act like he was the first pick of he draft or something

and on LaFleur, please quit with the nonsense of "Aikman handpicked him!!!"...thats not what happened, nor is it even remotely close to the truth

David

I would not call Lafluer a bust, but he was not pretty good. He was not that devastating a blocker. I think history has been kind to him because the many tight ends that followed him were terrible as blockers, so by comparison he looks good. He was decent, but not a dominant blocker. He was average at best as a receiver. The guy was not special and not worthy of a 1st round pick even in the late round. If not for injuries he probably would have played a long time and would have just been average the whole time.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967;1741493 said:
you do realize almost everyone had Carver rated a 1st rd pick that yr right?...

Pittman was a horrible pick, but the trade down to get him was the worst part of that decision...they tried to get cute and passed on Tony Brackens, and instead ended up with two lousy players in Pittman and Shiver

David

When you look at 1994, you see a very weak draft in retrospect, we actually ended up with one of the best players from that draft in Larry Allen - some teams came away with no good day 1 picks from 94. Crap draft year.

The Pittman pick was horrible -- Jerry was trying to mimic Jimmy by trading back but what he didn't realize is that Jimmy would trade back to get good players who didn't fit into most team's systems -- mostly small LBs, etc. -- you get good value when you do that but not when you move back for positions that everyone wants like pass rushers.

We also passed on Mike Flanagan to get Shiver - Flanagan is still in the league and went to a pro bowl in 2003

joseephuss

Reaction score
Manster68;1741270 said:
Actually the worst was Scott Appleton in 1964. This 1st round pick never made the squad.

Other notable 1st round busts:

Tody Smith - 1971
Dennis Homan - 1968
Bill Thomas - 1972
Rod Hill - 1982
Kevin Brooks - 1985
Shante Carver - 1994
David LeFleur - 1997
Bobby Carpenter - 2006 (on the bubble)

Sorry, I do not consider guys like Billy Cannon Jr., Mike Sherrard, Robert Shaw, and Ebeneezer Ekuban busts due to early injuries that they never fully recovered from.

Ekuban was progressing nicely until he suffered back injuries in 2000 in which he was never the same.

I wonder how much information Schramm and Landry had on Appleton back in 1964. Did they have any clue that he would end up choosing to go to the AFL over the NFL? Why did he choose to join Houston over Dallas? Did he have a job and family in Houston? It is not as if he lasted long in football playing 2 years in Houston and another 2 in San Diego.

Ekuban hurt his back in the first game of the 2001 season.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rod Hill was the worst IMO. He couldn't cover to save his life. Couldn't tackle, always in poor position. The guy was just a terrible pick. he gets my vote.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
joseephuss;1741580 said:
I would not call Lafluer a bust, but he was not pretty good. He was not that devastating a blocker. I think history has been kind to him because the many tight ends that followed him were terrible as blockers, so by comparison he looks good. He was decent, but not a dominant blocker. He was average at best as a receiver. The guy was not special and not worthy of a 1st round pick even in the late round. If not for injuries he probably would have played a long time and would have just been average the whole time.

Lafleur was injured.

There was no way we could have predicted that. None of the scouting reports I read on him said anything about his back - except for all of them.

joseephuss

Reaction score
dbair1967;1741277 said:
I know this goes beyond the intelligence level of alot of people on here, but LaFleur was not a bust...he was actually pretty good, but had a really bad back problem that ruined his career...people dont recall how good of a receiver he was because 1) his career was shortened and 2) Chan Gailey just didnt believe in using the TE much in the passing game...never has, never will...but if anyone can get their hands on it, go back and look at the two td receptions he made as a rookie against Cincinnati...6'7, 270lb guys simply dont make those kinds of receptions...he was also a dominating run blocker

nor was Ekuban a bust...he was a solid, but unspectacular player here who rotted for years under the idiocy of Campo and Zimmer...you people act like he was the first pick of he draft or something

and on LaFleur, please quit with the nonsense of "Aikman handpicked him!!!"...thats not what happened, nor is it even remotely close to the truth

David

Ekuban did not rot under poor schemes. He was just not that good a pass rusher. He could not even produce Ellis type numbers playing in the same scheme. He was better than expected in the running game, but never developed as a pass rusher. He wasn't always playing stop the run first. I watched too many obvious passing downs where he would fire off the ball and do nothing.

I always liked Ekuban and would have liked it if he could have stuck around as a back up if they could improve his spot. They didn't when they got Wiley. Actually got someone who was worse.

bigE79

Reaction score
Hostile;1741416 said:
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

There isn't a doubt in the world this is the worst.
I remember,after we drafted him,there was no game tape of him so espn showed him running a 40 in some hall way or something like that.I was so pissed :bang2:

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;1741395 said:
That article is wrong...it's just repeating a inaccurate piece of history.

I'm sorry, I'll take the several mainstream articles that say this over a message board poster. Plus, Aikman gave his assessment on both Gonzalez and LaFluer and he gave LaFluer the biggest endorsement.

And if you could post a link to a story stating your side, it might have some more credibility.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1741351 said:
Which draft? By Ekuban i infer in all drafts. If so, EK does not come close to busts
That lineman, Howard in the 80s or Ellis (kidding) um, probably Quincy. Yeah, he sure sucked.
I don't blame Quincy for sucking; I blame Jerra for that failed experiment and Campo for acquiescing.
QUincy got us to the playoffs, he just couldn't put the chronic down....QC performed better than all the bust yall claimed so far.....plus he was a 2nd round pick not a first....I put bust for 1st rounders not second rounders even though u want 2nd rounders to perform

AbeBeta

Reaction score
joseephuss;1741590 said:
Ekuban did not rot under poor schemes.

Actually, he did a little bit when they moved him over to the strong side. How do you take a guy who is supposed to be a pass rusher and put him there?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Q_the_man;1741690 said:
QUincy got us to the playoffs, he just couldn't put the chronic down....QC performed better than all the bust yall claimed so far.....plus he was a 2nd round pick not a first....I put bust for 1st rounders not second rounders even though u want 2nd rounders to perform

2nd rounders, especially late 2nd rounders, cannot be true busts in my book