biggest bust in cowboy draft??

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Kavika Pittman and Shante Carver. Those are busts. I still think Carpenter will end up being a solid contributer down the line for us.

Ekuban has ended up being a solid contributor for Denver. He had 7 sacks last year and had just signed a nice contract before this year and got hurt against us in the preseason. He was a bust for us I guess, but it's not like he didn't have talent.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Danny Noonan? Was he a DL? I don't remember if he was a 1st rounder, but he sure did stink.

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
Ozzu;1741342 said:
Kavika Pittman and Shante Carver. Those are busts. I still think Carpenter will end up being a solid contributer down the line for us.

Ekuban has ended up being a solid contributor for Denver. He had 7 sacks last year and had just signed a nice contract before this year and got hurt against us in the preseason. He was a bust for us I guess, but it's not like he didn't have talent.

Don't like Carpenter, but he's nonetheless been a nice special teams player for us, and has provided us much needed depth at LB.

He's not BAD, per se, but he's just in the WRONG scheme.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Which draft? By Ekuban i infer in all drafts. If so, EK does not come close to busts
That lineman, Howard in the 80s or Ellis (kidding) um, probably Quincy. Yeah, he sure sucked.
I don't blame Quincy for sucking; I blame Jerra for that failed experiment and Campo for acquiescing.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Oh by the way, here is a link to a confirmation that Aikman handpicked Lefluer:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2336176

Go down to the #22 pick and read what it says.

This isn't Cajun, it's Foxsports.

22. Dallas Cowboys
David LaFleur, TE LSU

Troy Aikman hand picked LaFleur. Aikman may be a heck of an announcer, but he stunk as a player personnel man. The Cowboys were using Sherman Williams and a way over-the-hill Herschel Walker to backup Emmitt Smith and while Staley might not be able to stay healthy as a number one back, he'd sure have been a great help to keep the superstar fresh.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1741338 said:
Well set us straight on that one old wise one. Because I do remember that Aikman was asked to work him out and he gave LaFluer rave reviews and said he would love to have him. Now my memory may be slipping but it doesn't imagine things.

Aikman didn't handpick LaFleur...he was asked to work out Gonzalez and LaFleur and he did.

It has long since come out that while he did like LaFleur...he liked Gonzalez better and if given a choice would have taken Gonzalez.

But alas Kansas City took Gonzalez before the Cowboys even had a chance to pick him and then Jones picked LaFleur.

Aikman didn't tell Jones to pick LaFleur...he was asked his opinion of the two and gave it.

And if Jones would have had the chance to take that advice he would have picked...Gonzalez.

Problem was Jones as he was prone to do...got stuck on one position in this case TE and just picked the next best guy..which was LaFleur.

And after seeing how Aikman missed Novacheck...Jones was just trying to replace him...which was understandable at the time.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1741381 said:
Oh by the way, here is a link to a confirmation that Aikman handpicked Lefluer:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2336176

Go down to the #22 pick and read what it says.

This isn't Cajun, it's Foxsports.

22. Dallas Cowboys
David LaFleur, TE LSU

Troy Aikman hand picked LaFleur. Aikman may be a heck of an announcer, but he stunk as a player personnel man. The Cowboys were using Sherman Williams and a way over-the-hill Herschel Walker to backup Emmitt Smith and while Staley might not be able to stay healthy as a number one back, he'd sure have been a great help to keep the superstar fresh.

That article is wrong...it's just repeating a inaccurate piece of history.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
dbair1967;1741277 said:
I know this goes beyond the intelligence level of alot of people on here, but LaFleur was not a bust...he was actually pretty good, but had a really bad back problem that ruined his career...people dont recall how good of a receiver he was because 1) his career was shortened and 2) Chan Gailey just didnt believe in using the TE much in the passing game...never has, never will...but if anyone can get their hands on it, go back and look at the two td receptions he made as a rookie against Cincinnati...6'7, 270lb guys simply dont make those kinds of receptions...he was also a dominating run blocker

nor was Ekuban a bust...he was a solid, but unspectacular player here who rotted for years under the idiocy of Campo and Zimmer...you people act like he was the first pick of he draft or something

and on LaFleur, please quit with the nonsense of "Aikman handpicked him!!!"...thats not what happened, nor is it even remotely close to the truth

David

I compared LaFleur's stats to our other tight ends about 2 years ago and I agree he wasn't that bad. His TD receptions each year were about the same as some of our other tight ends that preceded him. And like you said, he was a devastating blocker. I wouldn't call him a bust. He just had an unfortunate back problem that wouldn't go away.

Dwayne Goodrich has to be high on the list of busts though.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
J-DOG;1741206 said:
Rod Hill....this guy was our top pick in the year he was drafted...anyone remember him?
Didn't think so.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

There isn't a doubt in the world this is the worst.

mkelly71

Reaction score
quincy carter tops my cowboys bust list. those 2 offensive linemen jacobs and peterson had to be up there also

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
mkelly71;1741457 said:
quincy carter tops my cowboys bust list. those 2 offensive linemen jacobs and peterson had to be up there also

Anytime you miss on a QB that you intend to be your franchise QB it's a huge huge bust. It sets your team back further than any other position would.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Carver/Kavika - same thing. Too hell-bent on replacing Charles and took these guys way too early.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Shante Carver by a nose over Kavika Pittman. carpenter has been solid and has contributed- those two never did squat. Ekuban was decent.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Lafleur made some plays and had the talent. But that back injury destroyed his career. I don't think he would have made the Pro Bowl, but he would have been pretty good and he was a devastating blocker.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Sarge;1741482 said:
Carver/Kavika - same thing. Too hell-bent on replacing Charles and took these guys way too early.

you do realize almost everyone had Carver rated a 1st rd pick that yr right?...

the guy had a great career at Arizona St (4 straight yrs of double digit sacks)

he was a waste because of his offfield problems

Pittman was a horrible pick, but the trade down to get him was the worst part of that decision...they tried to get cute and passed on Tony Brackens, and instead ended up with two lousy players in Pittman and Shiver

David

rathalarge

Reaction score
J-DOG;1741206 said:
Rod Hill....this guy was our top pick in the year he was drafted...anyone remember him?
Didn't think so.
Sure do. He was the Cowboy player resposible for the "muff rule". He fumbled akickoff return in the endzone at Washington, which caused Tex Schramm to introduce this the following season.

rathalarge

Reaction score
ninja;1741348 said:
Danny Noonan? Was he a DL? I don't remember if he was a 1st rounder, but he sure did stink.
Yep! #1 pick out of Nebraska as a DT, to replace John Dutton i believe?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Manster68;1741270 said:
Ekuban was progressing nicely until he suffered back injuries in 2000 in which he was never the same.

not to mention he's had very good seasons with cleveland and denver.