Biggest concerns vs LA Rams game?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are your biggest concerns about the team going into LA Rams game ?

1) RT starter Cam Irving ?
No. My concern is they Tyron gets injured.

2) Secondary worries ? Anthony Brown as an outside CB starter ? ... Diggs?... questions at safety with Darion Thompson ?
Zero concerns about Anthony Brown as a starter.

Diggs maybe, but I expect them to limit his snaps.

If Thompson and Woods are both healthy, then they should be OK. The new scheme is better for Thompson than last season's scheme.

3) Other OL concerns: al center Joe Looney ? Tyrone Smith durability (who subs if tyrone gets dinged vs rams ? )
I'm concerned that Tyron and Erving will hurt you for misspelling their names. Looney will be OK.

4) Cooper's health and questions with his hamstring vs Rams ?
No.

5) Williams vs All pro Aaron Donald ?
Aaron Donald had one of his worst games statistically against rookie Connor Williams in the 2018 playoff game.

6) the notorious slow starts that plagued us all year in 2019 ?
Garrett was a moron.

7) Special Teams
The new ST coach is know as the best.

8) Jared Goff and Sean McVey getting the misdirection plays and run game going and going after rookie CB Trevon Diggs ?
It would be a huge concern with the old scheme. The new scheme is much better against zone running scheme like the Rams.

The new scheme rarely hangs the CBs out to dry like the 2019 scheme did to Awuzie all season. The 2-deep Safety alignments help the CBs.

9) Jalen Ramsey being able to shut down Amari Copper first game of the season
Then they have a #3 CB on either Gallup or Lamb...

10) Kellen Moore's game plan and tendency to abandon the run and not involve RBs like Tony Pollard.
Kellen Moore wanted to use Pollard more last season. He was limited by Garrett.

Both Pollard and Jarwin likely would have doubled their snaps played last season if Kellen Moore was making that decision.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shhh. You’re interrupting the media/Vegas hype train that’s equivalent to putting Texas in the top 15 every year despite no logical reason to. If this were the Seahawks instead of the Cowboys, with same roster and circumstances people would say it’s maybe a 1-2 win improvement at best.

The team has a high ceiling potential but nearly every question mark has to go right which isn’t likely to happen.

If this was a normal offseason I’d say yes it would be probably 10-6 just off coaching. But that benefit won’t be there early on and the roster is not better than last year. The only spot where there’s a clear upgrade day 1 is Poe over Woods and how much is a 1T really going to play?

It’s the same reason I think the Bucs hype is ridiculous. Brady is in a clear decline and Gronk’s body was barely able to make an impact 2 years ago outside of one game when he had 2 weeks off.

Names get headlines regardless of doing further research.

Even without much off-season time together, the scheme change on defense is beneficial even if the players are not executing is perfectly.
- The 2019 defensive scheme was fundamentally unsound. Kris Richard tried to make changes to the back 7 without being able to change Marinelli's DL scheme.

The #1 problem last season and in the 2018 playoff game vs the Rams was the run defense.

They tried multiple changes to improve the run defense which ended up causing big problems in pass defense.

The scheme was the problem on defense. The Marinelli scheme didn't have an answer to good zone running teams once the Rams exposed them in the playoff game.

It does not matter who is playing DT when the scheme has the DTs taking themselves out of the middle area leaving it open when the RB cuts back to the inside.

All LBs will struggle if the DL can't occupy the OLinemen and routinely allow 2 OL to get free releases to get out and block LBs that are moving sideways against the zone runs.

Griffen is a better run defender than Quinn.

Poe as the starter means that Woods is the backup. They played multiple games last year without Woods and he was replaced by Christian Covington.

New DC Mike Nolan likes to use a big hybrid player at OLB on run downs. Aldon Smith at OLB against the run will be a big benefit.

Having the big hybrid at OLB completely changes up the run blocking as Belichick showed in the Super Bowl against the Rams.
- Belichick's primary adjustment was to move 1 LB from behind the DL to outside and up on the line.
- That allowed the DL and LBs to play "straight up" instead of having to move long distances sideways.
- Forcing the defense to move sideways is a key element of the zone running scheme.

cowboyec

Reaction score
with no pre-season games and shortened off-season...my biggest concerns...
timing and rhythm of our offense.
and always...injuries.
but i still believe we're the better team.
with McCarthy and staff...i expect them to be ready and prepared.
they will be.
31-24 Dallas.
☆Go Cowboys☆