Biggest hitter?

rojan

Reaction score
How can you guys forget about Woody.....

Remember the seattle game

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Williams isn't the impact hitter he once was. He's laid enough people out that the intimidation advantage is still there but very few cringing hits now. I think he's come to the realization that taking a chance on a big hit is still taking a chance and now just makes a routine tackle.

That's half the reason that the slow-witted think that he had a down year. They didn't see him on "Jacked Up" so he must not be very good.

The hardest hitting LB of all-time has to be Sam Huff. Scary mean.

I think Huff and Nitschke belong in any converstation of this kind. There are other's as well but for money, the toughest, most feared hitter of any era would have to be Chuck Bednarik. I'd bet Frank Gifford would probably endourse that. The guy was simply vicious.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Currently - Roy Williams bar none
Past - Surprised no one has mentioned Steve Atwater he was a vicious hitter

ravidubey

Reaction score
Doomsday said:
Currently - Roy Williams bar none
Past - Surprised no one has mentioned Steve Atwater he was a vicious hitter
Atwater was mentioned by several posters earlier in the thread.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
Past - Ronnie Lott, Sam Huff, Jack Tatum, Alvin Walton, Steve Atwater

Present - Sean Taylor, Roy Williams, Adrian Wilson

Honorable Mention - Mark Carrier, Lawyer Milloy, John Lynch, Brian Dawkins, Rodney Harrison

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Atwater was mentioned by several posters earlier in the thread.

I don't know. Dawkins can bring it as good or better then anybody I've seen in the game right now. That guy can lay wood with the best of em IMO.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rojan said:
How can you guys forget about Woody.....

Remember the seattle game
I didn't... :)

I'd also like to add Rodney Harrison. The most penalized player in the league for his hits, if I'm not mistaken.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most of the names have already been said.

I would just like to add Deacon Jones in there.

Just because he did that head slap move and made a few guys loopy with it.

He did it so well players on the other teams O would sharpen the screws that were on the helmet holding the face mask on so it would cut his hand up.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would throw out the BigE. He was an offensive player but nobody wanted to play that guy in his prime. Nobody!

Win/lose or draw, you were going to get your arse whipped if you matched up on Williams at the end of the day.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I would throw out the BigE. He was an offensive player but nobody wanted to play that guy in his prime. Nobody!

Win/lose or draw, you were going to get your arse whipped if you matched up on Williams at the end of the day.

I know what you mean. When you say big hitters 1st thought is defense. I picked Earl Campbell because I just remember how many LB he flatout ran over, helmet in their chest and running smooth over them. Also when I hear guys like Cliff Harris talking about how he hated to try and tackle Campbell you start to relize some offensive guys know how to dish out the big hits.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Past - Tatum, Butkus, Lott, Singletary.

Present - not much to speak of.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Roy and John Lynch are the first to come to mind.

As for the past Lott and Jack Tatum (until he met Earl Campbell :D) off the top of my head.
I agree with this short list, and add Lott as the old schooler. But back then they were allowed to get away with more - if the rules were the same, RW would be convicted of manslaughter

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I know you're mostly talking about defense, but don't forget this fella.

05-larry-allen-action-1.jpg

In his prime, I don't think there were many scarier things for a linebacker or safety than see him going full force right at ya.