Biggest Position of Concern Right Now - Center

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...hes-got-a-lot-of-travis-frederick-in-him/amp/

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Yep
Biadasz played pretty solid in the games he played last year and those reps and a real off season and pre season will do wonders
He came in with virtually no camp and no pre season games

And if he pulls a hammy pregame, what is the plan? What if he gets injured? He hardly played last year and did nothing to knock Looney off his pedestal when healthy.
Plan A is Biadasz but he has almost no experience.

DRella

Reaction score
I still think Looney comes back as insurance. If not him they will get someone.

But I have full confidence in Biadasz to become special playing together with a full offensive line.

conner01

Reaction score
And if he pulls a hammy pregame, what is the plan? What if he gets injured? He hardly played last year and did nothing to knock Looney off his pedestal when healthy.
Plan A is Biadasz but he has almost no experience.
MCGovern and the new kid would be most likely option as backup
And if needed Looney is still out there
But he started 4 games and got 427 snaps last year
Very valuable snaps and he played pretty well
I see no reason to think he can’t play atleast as well this year
And he should be better with a real off season, training camp and pre season
The question is who is the swing guard/center more than can he play

conner01

Reaction score
I still think Looney comes back as insurance. If not him they will get someone.

But I have full confidence in Biadasz to become special playing together with a full offensive line.
Those snaps he got last year are very valuable

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
MCGovern and the new kid would be most likely option as backup
And if needed Looney is still out there
But he started 4 games and got 427 snaps last year
Very valuable snaps and he played pretty well
I see no reason to think he can’t play atleast as well this year
And he should be better with a real off season, training camp and pre season
The question is who is the swing guard/center more than can he play

I didn’t know he played 4 games, 427 snaps last year. Thanks. A little more comforting. I thought he only played about 2 games.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What’s a nice way to say all of it? Poor against the run and pass last year.

In watching film almost every time we had a breakdown on the Interior it was due to looney. It could be argued that he was worse than either Steele or knight last year, despite being sandwiched between a decent G and a HOF G.

from an optimistic viewpoint looney has performed much better in the past. Last year could have been issue of no dak, two rookies at T forcing our Gs to help outside, new position coach, etc.

Respectfully disagree. Looney isn't perfect but IMO he isn't a "poor" player. CW is decent at best & ZM missed 6 games so he wasn't really sandwiched between two solid players.

I recall that many of the breakdowns were that CW in particular didn't get the helping block he was supposed to so that Looney could get in position.

Not saying you can't find plays where he got beat but some that looked like he got beat was because other players didn't get their assignment done.

Looney & CW both struggle with pure power. Teams that could take advantage of that did so. Certainly not ideal for two of your interior guys.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Factoring in the additions from free agency and the draft and what we have seen so far from OTAs (yes, I know some people consider them glorified underwear Olympics), what is the potential Achilles Heel for this team right now? For me, it would be the center position. No one on the team with starter experience at the center position. A big question mark at center right now with Biadasz.

Tyron says Biadasz is doing well for a 2nd year player. He's only played a game or two last year but looked decent. Pulled a hamstring pregame and didn't see any time after that. A big unknown right now for backup center.

Have the Cowboys penciled in Biadasz at the center position or will they have some real competition from McGovern, Farniok, and UFA from Houston Braylon Jones? I wonder if we might see Steele get a chance at center, or maybe Knight.

Center is the one position I would be most worried about at this stage. Injuries and question marks could be most problematic here. I guess Looney might be the backup plan if all else goes south. But, I imagine Looney may find some suitors if other teams get hit with injuries at center.

Safety might be a bigger worry for some but I think the center position is much more important than safety.

Im not concerned about center. Biadasz is the real deal.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Factoring in the additions from free agency and the draft and what we have seen so far from OTAs (yes, I know some people consider them glorified underwear Olympics), what is the potential Achilles Heel for this team right now? For me, it would be the center position. No one on the team with starter experience at the center position. A big question mark at center right now with Biadasz.

Tyron says Biadasz is doing well for a 2nd year player. He's only played a game or two last year but looked decent. Pulled a hamstring pregame and didn't see any time after that. A big unknown right now for backup center.

Have the Cowboys penciled in Biadasz at the center position or will they have some real competition from McGovern, Farniok, and UFA from Houston Braylon Jones? I wonder if we might see Steele get a chance at center, or maybe Knight.

Center is the one position I would be most worried about at this stage. Injuries and question marks could be most problematic here. I guess Looney might be the backup plan if all else goes south. But, I imagine Looney may find some suitors if other teams get hit with injuries at center.

Safety might be a bigger worry for some but I think the center position is much more important than safety.
Center is more important than safety. But I don't concern myself with it because I know if no one currently on the roster can't do it adequately enough, we still have Joe Looney's number.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Center is more important than safety. But I don't concern myself with it because I know if no one currently on the roster can't do it adequately enough, we still have Joe Looney's number.

Yeah, you think Joe Looney won’t jump at the first team to offer $1M?

Maybe Jerry has him on special yacht detail right now and on call.

conner01

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. Looney isn't perfect but IMO he isn't a "poor" player. CW is decent at best & ZM missed 6 games so he wasn't really sandwiched between two solid players.

I recall that many of the breakdowns were that CW in particular didn't get the helping block he was supposed to so that Looney could get in position.

Not saying you can't find plays where he got beat but some that looked like he got beat was because other players didn't get their assignment done.

Looney & CW both struggle with pure power. Teams that could take advantage of that did so. Certainly not ideal for two of your interior guys.
Looney is a very good swing G/C
Some over value him as a starter but he is what he is
He’s a nice guy to have on your roster though I think we are looking at younger cheaper options with more future upside
Looney always did a solid job when called into duty but there is a reason he’s never been signed as a starter and is not signed now
Really good backup but no future upside

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hopefully this helps you to feel better:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Both, lol
Safety and center Both question marks

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Can't argue with this. Just FYI, Biadasz started 4 games last year.

quickccc

Reaction score
I thought he played admirably for an UFA when thrown into the mix at OT all of the sudden due to injury. I thought he showed some real potential and players like that find a way on the field. He looks like he has the build to anchor down against the bigger DL and can use leverage and has decent speed to get to the second level. And on gameday he bring good position flex since he can also play swing OT. Adding backup center to his abilities gives the Cowboys more flexibility with the roster on game day. Same with Knight.

If you're referring to Steele, he virtually gave up a sack or hurried hit in virtually every game he started this past year.
and to add to that he was mediocre as a run blocker. to how much is he needing to be stronger, to how much was the NFL trends was too overwhelming for a rookie, to how much was a
lack of game experience and technique put him at a disadvantage, who knows.
But his game is at OT, ..not in the interior, much less center.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
If you're referring to Steele, he virtually gave up a sack or hurried hit in virtually every game he started this past year.
and to add to that he was mediocre as a run blocker. to how much is he needing to be stronger, to how much was the NFL trends was too overwhelming for a rookie, to how much was a
lack of game experience and technique put him at a disadvantage, who knows.
But his game is at OT, ..not in the interior, much less center.

The Beatles weren’t the Beatles the first time they went to the studio. But, their manager saw something. I saw something. Some potential. We’ll see. Not sure what you expected from an UFA starting game 1 in the NFL. 1 pressure or sack is pretty good all things considered.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yeah, you think Joe Looney won’t jump at the first team to offer $1M?

Maybe Jerry has him on special yacht detail right now and on call.
Joe still lives in the Metroplex and wants to be a Cowboy. He may end up on a different team but he's holding out hope the Cowboys will eventually be knocking on his door.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Looney can sign with anyone and all the other options have played zero snaps at center in the NFL.

We can give Looney 1.25mil that won't count toward his cap hit as a Veteran Cap Benefit. We have the inside track on Looney.

starfan1

Reaction score
Back up QB
and DL are also concerns until proven otherwise