Biggest Problem: We're not getting any better

Deacon Moss

Reaction score
you guys on here are way too panicky, lets at least get to the bye week before we write the season off!!!

Washington wont continue to get lucky bounces and there true colors will show, especially if Brunell gets injured, the Giants look good now, but there's mutiny on the ship as players are already beginning to revolt against Coughlin, and besides they hav'nt faced a defense worth a damn!!!

Philly looked ok today in there win vs. the Chiefs, but they are clearly one dimensional as they have no semblence of a running game, and the Chiefs "D" is'nt as revamped and stout as once thought!!!!

When all is said and done we will be right there battling for the division crown, I thought we'd be 3-1 at best, so were not far of course - have faith fellas!!!

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
This team so reminds me of the 2002 team. Awful. Win one, lose one, win one, lose one, lose, lose, lose, lose, etc. 5-11 Campo gone. Next.

We are not getting any better and we have played nothing but a bunch of turds with the exception of SD and they didn't have Gates, if he plays, we lose huge. Despite their record, the second best team we have played was today, so at least it was close.

MikeD17

Benched
Reaction score
dear person who started this thread. you dont know anything about football!!! also are you blind?? hows that??

TonyS

Reaction score
MikeD17 said:
dear person who started this thread. you dont know anything about football!!! also are you blind?? hows that??

That would be me.

I apologize to the board for my ignorance and shall ban myself from posting from here on out as I am taking up unnecessary space.

I hereby bequeath that every post MikeD17 makes, I will totally accept and agree with as my own as I am an acorn compared to his oak tree of knowledge.

Thank you.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Amen TonyS <lol which is my name btw>

We are suppose to be progressing, no regressing.

One week we look like the Colts, the next the Cardinals. Make up your mind Cowboys and quit teasing, as it stands right now, we're last in the division. I'm gonna recant my 10-6 prediction, we'll go 6-10 to 7-9. We wont beat the Beagles or the Gnats, not playing this way we wont.

Justis

Reaction score
I wouldn't say we arent improving... I would say we're showing promise in some areas, and declining in others. We had great pass protection, not so much now. We had a great run D, not so much now. We were vulnerable to the deep ball, now we aren't. Our running game still is mediocre against good run D. Our QB is playing well, as can be expected. Our play calling had better improve, I'm not totally criticizing Payton's calls but I'd like to see Bill take another shot at it. Crayton is good. Nguyen still rocks. Bradie James finally impressed. TNew is now uprgraded to stud status. Canty is a junior stud. Our pass rush as a whole is pretty good. Ware is confusing me, he made plays. But he cost us two or three penalties, not to mention failing to bump Moss. Julius will find his groove, chill. Remember Correy Dillon against this D he had like 20 yards rushing. I think Julius will tear up the Giants, maybe do well against the Iggles, but I'm not holding my breath for the latter. I know it's depressing but we nearly won this game, try to take solice that we'll have an invigorated team playing at Texas stadium next sunday.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Could it be that it isn't that we are getting worse, but that we are now getting exploited for the weaknesses we have.

TonyS

Reaction score
Justis said:
I wouldn't say we arent improving... I would say we're showing promise in some areas, and declining in others.

Justis, I agree with you. Good teams find a way to improve and come together in all areas. Bad teams continue to struggle to put it all together.

The next couple games will really show what kind of a team we've got. My biggest concerns are:

1) Defensive scheming and alternating between 3-4 and 4-3 is confusing vets as well as youngsters and leading to some of our D woes. We look like we're the ones confused instead of the opposing offense.

2) Offensive playcalling and execution. We are not dictating on offense right now, we're taking what comes, certainly not like the Gints and Philthy are imposing their will on other teams right now.

Here's hoping they can get it together and play better as the season continues.

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:
Problems are as follows:

1) Offensive line play has gotten worse. They were doing a great job keeping Bledsoe on his feet until this week. Don't know what happened, but whatever it was needs to be addressed.

The run blocking has been suspect all 4 games, but the pass protection has been very good, especially the first 3 games. Yesterday it was not, but lets not panic until it becomes a trend. Did you expect Bledsoe to go untouched all year?

dragon_mikal said:
2) Running game is crap. I think it's play calling more than anything. Julius is a speed back, yet we are pounding him up the middle every play. Why? Use Anthony Thomas in those situations. Not Julius. Put Julius in situations where he can make a big play. Toss plays, off tackle plays, draw plays. And for the love of God don't throw to him. He can't catch.

Keep the faith, JJ will come around. While the running game has been suspect, we haven't had any 20 carry 35 yard games, which we've had in the past. So it could be worse. I'm not worried.

dragon_mikal said:
3) Play calling sucks. Bad. We aren't using our personel right. Bledsoe needs to be allowed to throw the ball deep. Julius needs to be used to attack the outside or the defensive line, not up the middle. Witten needs to be more involved. Anthony Thomas needs to be in the freakin' game, period. Price needs to be in there. We need to stretch the field in the first three quarters...not just in the 4th. We need to stop with the trick plays.

The trick plays will not stop. Parcell's has done this his whole career. We did seem to run JJ right up the middle against the huge Raiders front 7, not much outside running. Not sure why not trying the outside. I think Bledsoe wanted to throw deep a few more times, but the coverage was there as well as the pass rush. Just because there were not that many deep throws doesn't mean the plays weren't called, there's other factors involved.

dragon_mikal said:
4) Safeties are crap at coverage. We are weak over the top. We did well today considering who we played, but this needs to be addressed. We play zone too much for my tastes. We are weak in coverage, so make sure we put as much pressure on the opposing quarterback as possible. Giving him time won't help our defense.

We definitley need to improve our safety coverage. They played well today considering the circumstances. Let's see how the FS's improve, it's only been 4 games.

dragon_mikal said:
5) Special teams are unreliable. Our punter is great, but our FG kicker is crap. I don't trust him and we should never have signed him. We should have kept that Novak kid. He's going to be something special for years to come, and now the Commanders have him. (Thanks Parcells)

I'm not really worried about this. Our coverage units have been fine since the first week. Not worried about McBriar. Cortez has been fine. Missed 1 Fg, KO's have been better than last year, sticks his nose in there on KO coverage. Not great, but adequate. Get off the Novak kid. When John Hall is healthy, probably next week, Novak will be gone. If we want him back, we'll have the chance.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TonyS said:
Has anyone seen improvement over the last 4 games?

That's what concerns me the most.

Are the players we have of poor quality or is the coaching hurting us rather than helping us?

Sorry I have seen improvement. It is in different areas week to week it appears but yes I see improvement with this team, but now they have to put it all together. No doubt many around here will be wailing all week long and they can have at it myself I see promise on this team and still think we will be a good ball club before all is said and done.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Were not counting on Cortez to win us any games, The O and D loses the games all by themselves, they dont need help from Cortez. he may be our MVP this year. All hail Cortez.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Were not counting on Cortez to win us any games, The O and D loses the games all by themselves, they dont need help from Cortez. he may be our MVP this year. All hail Cortez.

Tell you what Cortez has saved Dallas 21 points this year on his tackles on special teams. This is not something you want your kicker doing but thus far on 3 occation he has made a tackle to prevent a TD