I lived in Virginia most of my adult life so it’s:
1. Skins
2. Giants
3. Eagirls
4. Steelers
5. Niners

bb721

Reaction score
I live in North Jersey and hate the Giants with a passion so they are number one for me, but I agree with the others who have posted about the Commanders historically being the biggest rival for the majority of the Cowboys fan base.

CWR

Reaction score
Imo I would say I hate the eagles more than anyone. I will never get over the highlight of when Irvin had his career ended. And the eagles fans were chearing the entire time.

Except for when he was taken off the field, then they were booing. Smh

Ebnorice

Reaction score
For me it's the Commanders. My mom was a Commanders fan so back in the day you could imagine Thanksgiving at our house. I was still young when I lost my mom (23, I'm 52 now) but I still hold them games close to my heart. Every time we beat them I say "we got em mom" and I laugh. Great memories and every time I see them play it brings me back. She missed the 90 dynasty (she passed in 90) but I can only imagine how she would have reacted when that team rose to power.
I too lost my mother. 26 for me. Almost 31 now. I
Had a different problem in my mother. She hated football. So thanksgiving was a different kind of hell. (But I miss the fight ) I loved that Thursday every year but loathed the fight. Every year I hate to be left to my wish. (My wife’s family knows to leave me alone) so now I enjoy the game but miss her dearly. As I’m sure you do. Cheers to you friend.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
It was the giants. Hasn't been the skins forever. But giants suck now and the eagles won the sb. So now it's the eagles.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Eagles --Buddy Ryan, nuff said. City of Philly is living version of hemorrhoids

Commanders --Banter, black wreath, Fight song

49ers --They were really good when we were. Gave us toughest loss on "The Crap-tch".
Giants --Long-time rival but also gave us Landry and later BP.

Steelers --70's and 80s superfoes.

Packers --Met so often in playoff games. We held Favre back for a while. They've thumped us a few times since.

Texans --They are second rate screw ups but hate us.

Everyone else. --We are the target of basically everyone. Like the Pats if they'd been good for 30 years instead of 15.

cowboyec

Reaction score
eagles,Commanders,giants....I hate them to the depth of my soul equally.
packers....I hate them as much as our division rivals....the way rodgers is coo'd and coodled makes me sick.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a Cowboys fan since the early 1960s, these are the historic rivals in order of appearance:
1. The first hated rival we had was actually Green Bay. They broke our hearts twice in two conference title games- ‘66 and ‘67; the last being the Ice Bow heartbreaker- my first “sports cry”, lol.
2.Commanders- starting in late 60s, they were the first real division rival, and IMO, the most lasting. They haven’t been good in a while but from late 60s to the early 90s, they were hated.
3. Steelers- they denied us two SB wins in the 70s and I hated them for a decade.
4. Giants- they have always been our second peskiest division rival- was at its peak in 80s and occasionally from 2006-2016.
5. Eagles- they started being an occasional rival in the 80s and 90s. The “Bounty Bowl” with Buddy Ryan was when the hate really started. They are currently most hated probably.
6. 49ers- in the 90s, these guys were the biggest roadblock to a SB and we beat them 2 out 3 times in NFC championship games.

NFL Rule of thimb- the best, most lasting way to have and keep a rivalry is to win consistently. We aren’t as much fun to beat as we used to be.

Centex

Reaction score
Historically...Commanders
Present...Eagles..
Personal...Niners
Good thought. As a kid the division rival was the Commanders. Now it's the Eagles. New York has been successful but they just never seemed worth hating. But it would be hard to grow up in the seventies and not consider the Steelers hated. Or the eighties with San Francisco or recently with Green Bay. And although we don't play them often I hate New England for the sole reason that they have become what we were in our glory days.

visionary

Reaction score
I don’t know how to create a poll. But was curious what everyone one thought. (Maybe the guys can change it to a poll ?) but in your opinion. Who is our biggest rival ?
Giants
Commanders
Eagles

Outliers ?
Packers
Steelers
Niners

If by 'rival' you mean 'enemy' then Jerry, Stephen and anyone named Garrett

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I don’t know how to create a poll. But was curious what everyone one thought. (Maybe the guys can change it to a poll ?) but in your opinion. Who is our biggest rival ?
Giants
Commanders
Eagles

Outliers ?
Packers
Steelers
Niners

Of all of those teams mentioned? I hate the Eagles the most. I think it goes back to the Buddy Ryan era. The Eagles and Cowboys are still the biggest rivals in the NFL. Bitter rivals and I don't know this for sure but I'll bet when they play each other they're also the biggest draw. After the Eagles the Packers but it isn't even close

Last edited:

RoboQB

Reaction score
I live in Southern Maryland. I get a daily view at the "other side" of the op question.
The Commanders fans don't give a darn about the Eagles or Giants. They could get whipped twice a year,
every year by both of those teams and not even mention it. But "Cowboys week" comes twice a year
here and beating Dallas is all they care about.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
For me:

Steelers because we have a few Sbs to get back at them for. Thats what the Cowboys used to aim for, that used to be the goal of this storied franchise.

Giants because both of these teams can beat either team, records, stats, health never ever matter. these two teams come at each other with hate each and every game. we have seen bad cowboy teams beat good giant teams and vice versa, nothing helps either team.

Of course San Fran to a point since for a long time it was us and them competing every year.

Not really the packers, they were good at the time so just accept it. Lately the packers have owned Garrett, not the team.

I dont care about the Commanders, they tried to block us coming into the league and we won that war. Overall that franchise has not been a major threat.

Everyone else is just a path to the goal we used to strive for.