Bill and Melinda Gates divorcing

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Bill can monitor all the women he wants with the chips that have been installed. Find out all their desires and then whoo them with all the personal knowledge he has acquired.
You giving him too much credit He is more of a PR man..the real genius is Gary Kildall

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Lets put out the begging cup- Bill Gates might be down to his last $20 billion.

Just did some checking.

Supposedly his net worth is $130 billion but its questionable how much is at stake in a divorce since Melinda has about $20 billion of her own.

And a lot of his is tied up in a trust.

Maybe I can date her and get a big payoff
You giving him too much credit He is more of a PR man..the real genius is Gary Kildall

I used to use Kildall's CP/M operating system. It ran my Kaypro II PC, the very first computer I ever owned. Later I ran his DR-DOS in lieu of MS-DOS. It was great, and offered some features (like task switching) before MS-DOS had them. It's my opinion that PCs would have been much better if IBM had gone with Kidall's CP/M or later variant thereof for their PC. Today I use Kubuntu Linux for my computing needs, which is not a Gary Kidall thing, but it is proof that there are options besides Microsoft.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score

I used to use Kildall's CP/M operating system. It ran my Kaypro II PC, the very first computer I ever owned. Later I ran his DR-DOS in lieu of MS-DOS. It was great, and offered some features (like task switching) before MS-DOS had them. It's my opinion that PCs would have been much better if IBM had gone with Kidall's CP/M or later variant thereof for their PC. Today I use Kubuntu Linux for my computing needs, which is not a Gary Kidall thing, but it is proof that there are options besides Microsoft.
CP/M was the OS of the 70's but the first one was NLS back in in the 60's .It did support the use of a mouse and user interface.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My dad's work used Kaypro II "luggable" computers when he traveled so he brought them home a lot for me to use when I was a kid :D

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
CP/M was the OS of the 70's but the first one was NLS back in in the 60's .It did support the use of a mouse and user interface.

Wow, a mouse interface back in the 60s. I had no idea. I knew that the computer mouse existed before they became super popular with the first Macintosh computers. If I remember right, Xerox had some kind of computer with a GUI interface and a mouse before Apple came along and made the Mac. But back in the 60s, computers were all still mainframes using punch cards, right? If they had a mouse way back then, that blows my mind.

My dad's work used Kaypro II "luggable" computers when he traveled so he brought them home a lot for me to use when I was a kid :D

The Kaypro was a great computer for its time. I used it in college with WordStar and a spell-checking program named The Word Plus. Back then memory was so limited that you would have a separate spell checking program from your word processor. WordStar was great! One thing I would recommend for every young person to do is to write at least one paper on a typewriter. When I was in high school, you would write out a paper by hand and revise it with chicken scratches and write-in edits, and it often looked like a big mess before you typed it on a typewriter. But you wanted it pretty much done before typing it because typing was so much harder back then. If you made a mistake, you would have to paint it over with liquid paper, blow on it till it was dry and then type over it. Some really expensive typewriters had systems that could remove letters and words -- that was huge. But all that was super hard compared to using a word processor. The first one I ever used was Apple Writer on the Apple IIe that my college dorm had. It had no spell checker, but I could find my spelling errors manually and then look them up in the dictionary, and then it was a big deal not to have to retype the whole thing. I could just go in and find the misspelled word and change it.

Then I got WordStar on my Kaypro, and that was a huge move up. The Word Plus would pull up a document I had written in WordStar and would actually suggest spellings of words I had misspelled and correct them right in the document. That was a big deal. I pretty much used the Kaypro and my daisy wheel printer as a super typewriter. I only used it to write stuff. There was no internet. It came with a spreadsheet named Calc I think and a database named Datastar, but I never learned to use that stuff. I did play a game named Clone Wars that it came with, but that was the extend of my computing back then. Still, it was a huge improvement over how you had to write stuff with a typewriter. I didn't start using a spreadsheet until I owned an MS-DOS 286 PC by Packard Bell. I got Lotus 1-2-3 and one of those big, fat computer books to learn how to use it. I was still using WordStar even though WordPerfect had become all the rage by then. This later version of WordStar (version 7.0) was a big improvement over the previous one. Then in 1-2-3, you could set it up to easily calculate a budget, something I was used to doing with pencil and paper on legal pads. It was amazing getting this new technology.

That Kaypro II was one of the earliest portables. You saw how the keyboard attached to it and it kind of looked like a sewing machine, but it was small enough that I could take on flights with me. I couldn't use it on the plane, but it was great to have with me for my writing. I've always been into creative writing. I would win some play writing contests in the next decade, but that's another story.

People who grew up with already having computers don't know what a thrill it was to no longer have to write with a typewriter. People who wrote for a living used to have to type documents multiple times if they had to do revisions. Something as simple as moving a paragraph was a major hassle.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
:muttley:

FB-IMG-1620259339634.jpg

photo upload error