Bill Belichick: “Good players can’t overcome bad coaching”

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man how true a statement from him on the HBO documentary, and how spot on that is for this team and JG..both he and Saban spoke at length about this fact, and all I could think about is how many times that could be said about the Boys

Was it the Bill & Bill documentary?

The 30 for 30 Bill & Bill was terrific. Hearing the thought process of Belichick was terrific.

His mentality reminds me of golf legends like Nicholas and Ben Hogan. They would grind away practicing all areas of their game.

Nicholas reportedly hit 1000 balls per day on the range in his early years.

Hogan had his caddy put a towel on the ground as hit target. He would start with a wedge and move up one club at a time with the caddy moving the towel each time he changed clubs. He wouldn't move to the next club until he had hit the towel multiple times. His instructional book that became popular showed an incredible attentional to detail.

There were non-grinders that had success for periods of time but most peaked and faded.

Meanwhile Garrett was seen at Basketball games during the bye week.

Belichick probably works more hours than any coach on the Cowboys staff even now after all of his success.

I can just see Belichick spending 10 hours straight watching film and then go running down the hall excited because he noticed that the upcoming opponent's QB moves his pinky finger by 1 inch on the ball when it going to be a run vs when it's going to be a pass...

Meanwhile when the Cowboys coaching staff was asked in training camp what they learned from reviewing the game film of the playoff loss to the Rams, the answer was "We tossed that film. We just want to move on. No need to review it".

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They (Jerry and Stephen ) refused to fire Marinelli after the playoff disaster vs the Rams.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
CloveShrinkage
53,449 messages
17,576 likes received
The call was dumb and could've cost us the game. Just say "we made a bad judgement on that play, we'll get better". If you say that, most people will move past it unless it continues to happen.

Crucial games require flawless execution, and not just on the field. In the Coaching as well.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/gar...ff-from-bailey-in-third-quarter.249384/page-3
This quote was from me December 17th, 2012. This is how long we've dealt with this from Garrett. Time for a change NOW!!!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I saw this doc today. Saban said one other thing that I think applies to recent discussions here.

Saban told Belichick that one huge lesson he learned in the pros with BB at Cleveland was that in college, if you didn't like a guy's personality, you could just not play him or deal with him. As he said, in the pros (paraphrasing), "Once the owner pays him, he's playing. And it's your responsibility to coach him to be the best he can be.": And Belichick smiled and nodded like that had happened to him many times . Saban went on to use as an example two corners (one may even have been Everson Walls?) they had who had polar opposite personalities, but Saban had to find a way to reach each one of them.

Meaning? That that's how pro football is. You don't always get your way on every player. Not everyone is going to be your perfect idea of what a player should be. You're even going to have some players you don't even want. But you still have to coach them -- that's pro football.

That's why I reject this idea of Garrett constantly being so "hamstrung." Do your job and coach the players you have. Stop leaking out to your buddies this idea that you're so disadvantaged because you aren't in total control of everything.

stiletto

Reaction score
We would be so lucky to have a coach that will do anything and everything to win. The guy is so competitive that he is willing to skirt the fringes of the rules and even break them to beat the other guy.

As opposed to Garrett, which is the equivalent to "Munson" in football terms.

Garrett struggles to make a game plan or an adjustment.

All the idiot does is ask them to execute and when they don't he just sits there with a stupid look on his face and has no answers. Garrett doesn't belong anywhere near a football team.

He does more than sit there with a stupid look....he Spits and claps...you forgot those very important aspects of a Head Coach..... Sigh...

birdwells1

Reaction score
2 interceptions the difference in the game. Think about how long it’s taken us to get 2 in a single season
The Packers upset SF in the playoffs that year. Atlanta upset SF on the last weekend which, after beating AZ, gave us hf throughout the playoffs.

stinkface

Reaction score
He does more than sit there with a stupid look....he Spits and claps...you forgot those very important aspects of a Head Coach..... Sigh...

Totally don't understand the spitting thing on the sidelines. My deceased dad was an officer and one day when I was in my late teens we were talking outside and I spit on the ground. He looked at me and asked me what I was doing and I said something like it was a cool thing to do. His next statement was if I spit in front of him again he would knock my block off as spitting showed disrespect. Always remember that and I never did it again. Anyway, I bet Garret spits a 100 times a game and the question is why. Does he spit inside his home, does he spit inside the Star on the floor in front of Jerry? Just makes no sense and I'm not aware of any other coach doing it at any level. Ok. Rant over.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oxHQdPtEApXIk7rfG/giphy.gif

khiladi

Reaction score
1. Garrett isn’t a good coach.

2. So now we are pretending this team wasn’t considered one of the most talented in the league.

3. Jerry gave Garrett a HUGE leash, despite his ineptitude. Jerry had to REVOKE play calling duties from Garrett, because he sucked so bad at it.

khiladi

Reaction score
I saw this doc today. Saban said one other thing that I think applies to recent discussions here.

Saban told Belichick that one huge lesson he learned in the pros with BB at Cleveland was that in college, if you didn't like a guy's personality, you could just not play him or deal with him. As he said, in the pros (paraphrasing), "Once the owner pays him, he's playing. And it's your responsibility to coach him to be the best he can be.": And Belichick smiled and nodded like that had happened to him many times . Saban went on to use as an example two corners (one may even have been Everson Walls?) they had who had polar opposite personalities, but Saban had to find a way to reach each one of them.

Meaning? That that's how pro football is. You don't always get your way on every player. Not everyone is going to be your perfect idea of what a player should be. You're even going to have some players you don't even want. But you still have to coach them -- that's pro football.

That's why I reject this idea of Garrett constantly being so "hamstrung." Do your job and coach the players you have. Stop leaking out to your buddies this idea that you're so disadvantaged because you aren't in total control of everything.

It’s almost comical Jerry doesn’t see how much Garrett is back stabbing him through his leaks. Garrett is having them blame Jerry, despite all that Jerry has done for Jason and his family.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Our "good" players are not very good to be frank.

There is enough talent here for a good coaching staff to work with it. Plenty of guys who have had individual success across the board who have been underachieving this year with horrible coaching.

plasticman

Reaction score
If this is a true statement then how in the realm of Hades did the Cowboys win Super Bowl 30?

mahoneybill

Reaction score
The Packers upset SF in the playoffs that year. Atlanta upset SF on the last weekend which, after beating AZ, gave us hf throughout the playoffs.

Remember that well. Even the great 90's team didn't steamroll their way into the playoffs. Another nail biter was the Emmitt hurt shoulder game in the Meadowlands won by a
Eddie Murray field goal..

Once in the playoffs then the team took on a no holds barred persona. We saw a smidgen of that yesterday and hopefully it continues.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Pats players know Belichick will move on from them. They still get paid if traded but many don't want to leave NE.

Jamie Collins complained about something and Belichick traded him to Cleveland. Collins is now back in NE on a reason contract.

DLaw said to a reporter when asked if it bothered him when the Cowboys acquired Michael Bennet considering that they both play LDE. Dlaw said "They paid me over 100 mil. I'm starting regardless."