Bill Belichick's new book.... Parcells diss

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Got a copy of his new book "The education of a coach"

Its about all the people thats influenced him over his career. Alot of it talks about his father who is also a coach.

So far the only thing I've seen about Parcells is that he said they had contrasting styles and because of that Parcells didnt really influence his coaching career.

I dont particularly like Parcells myself, but here was an opportunity for him to pay homage to someone that gave him an opportunity to break into the pros if nothing else.

Ultimate diss.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
When you think about what Belichek did to the Jets, this comes as no surprise.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
there is no love lost between these two and obviously if you followed the Jets/Pats situation belechick holds resentment over Tuna.

i doubt this book would be written if he went to a bad team (ala Browns) and tried to rebuild that from the ground up.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have no problem with him saying they had contrasting styles.

But to say Bill had no influence on him is just silly.

Even if Bill jr decided to do MANY things directly opposite of the Tuna because of contrasting styles...that is still influencing.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Here is another quote on Parcells...

"I knew that I had more potential than I was allowed to exhibit"

Ken

Reaction score
I don't know....

Bill B. takes all of Parcells's assistants and prepares for games exactly like Parcells, yet he has no influence.

O.K.

DBoys

Reaction score
BP gift wrapped that NE team for Belichek we will see how he does now that the talent BP brought in is getting old.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I would have no problem with him saying they had contrasting styles.

But to say Bill had no influence on him is just silly.

Even if Bill jr decided to do MANY things directly opposite of the Tuna because of contrasting styles...that is still influencing.
True, I am losing respect for Bill jr piece by piece.

yesfan

Reaction score
Ken said:
I don't know....

Bill B. takes all of Parcells's assistants and prepares for games exactly like Parcells, yet he has no influence.

O.K.

Yeah and then takes over for the Patriots when Parcells leaves.

Cowchips

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
When you think about what Belichek did to the Jets, this comes as no surprise.

Wasn't it Parcells that saved Billijerk from the trash heap after his disasterous stint as head coach of the Browns?

The message is, if you're looking for loyalty from Billijerk, forget it..Bill is for Bill.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Here is another quote on Parcells...

"I knew that I had more potential than I was allowed to exhibit"

This an interesting tidbit considering the recent debate on the amount of "control" that Bill allows to his coordinators.

Wasn't Billichik Bills Defensive Coordinator ?

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Ask the media if Parcells had an influence :rolleyes: Not a bit of info comes out of NE.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Over the last several years I was developing a strong opinion that Billichek may have had a lot to do with Big Bills past success.

But...I am now developing an even stronger belief that Billichek's past history with the Browns is more indicative of his coaching capabilities....and....that the recent run of success may have had a lot more to do with Weiss than with Billichek

(Side Note: Sorry if I am butchering the spelling of these names.)

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
It's a book. He is allowed to be honest. He is not sitting in front of a press conference where he has to give you some p.c. rhetoric. That's how Bellichik feels and can you blame him? I worked for a boss who took credit for my work. Yes, I was grateful he hired me but I was the one doing the work while he took credit for it.

I don't blame Bellichik. Thus far, he owns more Superbowls than Parcells and he won with less talent than Parcells. The job Bellichik did last season was flat out impressive considering all the injuries they had at defensive back etc. Aside from our 10-6 season a couple of years ago, Parcells has not shown he can be dominat without Bellichik.

Parcells is a good coach but I don't there is any way he would have won 2 Superbowls without Bellichik. If he can take us to the promise land this year, I will retract my statement. But until then, I want to see it before I believe it.

CACowboyfan

Reaction score
Belichick repeatedly shows no class toward tuna. It ticks me off. Um, he should remember, tuna is the one who gave the guy a job when Belly was fired from the Browns. In fact, his lifeline in the NFL was solely by the good graces of Tuna. The fact that Belly is now winning and refuses to spread the love shows what a prick that guy is. No class.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Darren Woodson was on the The Ticket a while back talking about going to a Patriots practice during while he was covering the Superbowl for the NFL Network. He said it was exactly identical to Parcell's practices. The drills, the schedule, the repetitions, the techniques. And isn't it funny how all of the descendants of the Parcells tree have the same philosophy when it comes to media access to their staff and listing injuries. Bill Belichick is an unquestioned genius when it comes to schematics and X's/O's, but there is more to being a head coach than that.

Thus far, Belichick has basically won with the same collection of guys (many of whom were already familiar with the philosophies). The hardest thing to do in coaching is go to a new organization that is completely unfamiliar with your philosophies, the types of players you want, your techniques, your schemes and form it into your vision. Can you get the team into buy into what you're selling them when the players are looking at you skeptical that this new scheme you're installing is going to fit them, and your coaching staff is already looking around the league for their next job when you lose 2 games in a row. That's why Belichick was such a failure with the Browns. After that, maintaining the continuity and momentum isn't that difficult. When Belichick wins with a second generation of players at New England, then I'll give him his props as being one of the greats. But that's not even as difficult as building something from scratch.

strongarmqb

Reaction score
BP gift wrapped that NE team for Belichek we will see how he does now that the talent BP brought in is getting old.

Two words.... Logan Mankins

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Does he talk about the love of his life......the gray hooded sweatshirt?