Bill Belichick's new book.... Parcells diss

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
strongarmqb said:
BP gift wrapped that NE team for Belichek we will see how he does now that the talent BP brought in is getting old.

Two words.... Logan Mankins

Two more words .. Vince Wilfolk. My lord, for a guy that came into the league so ballyhooed, he sure does get thrown around like a rag doll.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Thus far, Belichick has basically one with the same collection of guys. When Belichick wins with a second generation of players at New England, then I'll give him his props as being one of the greats. Right now he goes in the "very good" list.

Aside from Tom Landry, what coach has won with a different set of guys? Jimmy coudln't do it in Miami. George Seifert couldn't do it in Carolina. Bill Walsh flopped when he returned to Stanford.

Every great coach you hear about who has won multiple Superbowls has won with the same set of players whether you are talking about Bill Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Vince Lombardi and Chuck Knoll. Even Parcells won his 2 Superbowls with essentially the same Giants roster.

Bill Parcells may have come close to winning with a different set of players but he always had Bill Bellichik at his side too.

If Parcells really wants to destroy this myth that he rode Bellichik's coat tails, then he needs to take this Dallas team to a Superbowl some time in the near future.

wileedog

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
It's a book. He is allowed to be honest. He is not sitting in front of a press conference where he has to give you some p.c. rhetoric. That's how Bellichik feels and can you blame him? I worked for a boss who took credit for my work. Yes, I was grateful he hired me but I was the one doing the work while he took credit for it.

Bellichick said ""I knew that I had more potential than I was allowed to exhibit"

That statement suggests Parcells took too much control over what was going on, not that Lil Bill did all the work and Big Bill took all the credit. If anything you could read from that statement that Bellichick is not the sole architect of Bill's Superbowls - mostly because Big Bill wouldn't let him be.

This all sounds to me like a guy trying to get out from under the shadow of "daddy".

KingTuna

Reaction score
Belichick is a Parcells DISCIPLE... For him to say the Tuna had no influence on him would be like someon saying "my blackened lungs had nothing to do with me smoking 4 packs a day for 25 years.."

What a joke...Parcells took him under his wing and taught him everything he knows...

He just does not want to give him the proper credit....

Belichick would be a NOBODY without Parcells....

:starspin

Mike 1967

Reaction score
wileedog said:
Bellichick said ""I knew that I had more potential than I was allowed to exhibit"

That statement suggests Parcells took too much control over what was going on, not that Lil Bill did all the work and Big Bill took all the credit. If anything you could read from that statement that Bellichick is not the sole architect of Bill's Superbowls - mostly because Big Bill wouldn't let him be.

This all sounds to me like a guy trying to get out from under the shadow of "daddy".

:hammer:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
I dont particularly like Parcells myself, but here was an opportunity for him to pay homage to someone that gave him an opportunity to break into the pros if nothing else.

Ultimate diss.

Coach Parcells did not give him his first break into the pro ranks.

Ted Marchibroda did as a special teams assistant. Then he went to Detroit and Denver until he was hired by Wellington Mara.

strongarmqb

Reaction score
Two more words .. Vince Wilfolk. My lord, for a guy that came into the league so ballyhooed, he sure does get thrown around like a rag doll.

Man you said it! Im just not that impressed with his drafting ability. It will be interesting to see how this team looks next year when the slow decline could possibly turn into an avalanche.

Alexander

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Darren Woodson was on the The Ticket a while back talking about going to a Patriots practice during while he was covering the Superbowl for the NFL Network. He said it was exactly identical to Parcell's practices. The drills, the schedule, the repetitions, the techniques. And isn't it funny how all of the descendants of the Parcells tree have the same philosophy when it comes to media access to their staff and listing injuries. Bill Belichick is an unquestioned genius when it comes to schematics and X's/O's, but there is more to being a head coach than that.

And Coach Parcells learned his techniques from people like Ray Perkins.

It is all relative and not mutually exclusive.

Ken

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
It's a book. He is allowed to be honest. He is not sitting in front of a press conference where he has to give you some p.c. rhetoric. That's how Bellichik feels and can you blame him? I worked for a boss who took credit for my work. Yes, I was grateful he hired me but I was the one doing the work while he took credit for it.

I don't blame Bellichik. Thus far, he owns more Superbowls than Parcells and he won with less talent than Parcells. The job Bellichik did last season was flat out impressive considering all the injuries they had at defensive back etc. Aside from our 10-6 season a couple of years ago, Parcells has not shown he can be dominat without Bellichik.

Parcells is a good coach but I don't there is any way he would have won 2 Superbowls without Bellichik. If he can take us to the promise land this year, I will retract my statement. But until then, I want to see it before I believe it.

Did your boss teach you how to get the most out of your skills? You may be talented at what you do, but structure and motivating others is a huge part of it.

Bellichik knows x's and o's. No doubt. He also copies a lot from the way Parcells coaches. How can you spend that much time with someone and not be influenced?

Why is it that Bill Walsh gets credited for developing his coaching tree and Parcells gets bashed? I just don't get it.

I think you are a little harsh on Parcells. He's taken over three completely downtrodden franchises and rejuvenated them. I mean, NE and NY were the worst franchises I have ever seen. Especially the Jets. They couldn't win anything. If Vinny doesn't tear his achillies, I wouldn't doubt that they would have won a super bowl.

Look where he has the Cowboys right now. They are light years better than they were when they took over.

I just can't say that Parcells is not a great coach.

RoyWilliams

Reaction score
Bill Belichick left the Jets because his contract promised him total control over personnel when he became head coach. Parcells threw him a curve ball when he stepped down as head coach and then announced he would stay as general manager overseeing personnel and Belichick bolted no longer willing to work under Parcells.

In a review of the new David Halberstam book on Belichick, Providence Journal writer Bill Reynolds describes a situation in the book where Belichick was with Parcells in New York. It was during a game. After a heated exchange over the open coaches microphones, Parcells said to Belichick, "Yeah, you're a genius, everyone knows it, a ......... genius, but that's why you failed as a head coach--that's why you'll never be a head coach. Some genius."

Who wouldn't want to work for a guy like that?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
I also want to add that Bellichek's first year with the Patriots led to a 5-11 season. So if the system was perfectly set up for him, why did he fail so miserably that first year?

I can explain why the Patriots had much more success the next season. It's simple; Bellichek opened up more to his players and they finally bought into his system. Bellichek never demonstrated any emotion at all in Cleveland and his first year with the Patriots. Even his notorious cockiness that he demonstrates now was absent back then. Back then he was a quiet hermit who stuck to himself.

In 2001, he finally showed some emotion by predicting they would win and by standing by his players. It created instant chemistry on that team and they bonded.

The evidence speaks for itself. The patriots started the 2001 season 0-2. By mid-season, they were 4-4, which is hardly indicative of a team that is going to win the Superbowl. They lost only one more game the rest of the season. So it was obvious, something caused a spark mid-season and that was Bellichek when he went off on that rant to the media. That caused his team to finally start buying into his blue-collar "the world is against us" attitude.

If Bellichek had not started showing some emotion and opening up to his players, they would have continued down the Cleveland Brown path.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Alexander said:
And Coach Parcells learned his techniques from people like Ray Perkins.

It is all relative and not mutually exclusive.

True.

But the catalyst behind these comments is directly tied to the book.

If Belichek has failed to give any credit to Parcells...when there are similiarities that are obvious to even the most casual fan....then it is Billicheks silence that is convicting him. He is not being convicted by the degree to which each past experience has individually formed the end product that he is today.

DBoys

Reaction score
strongarmqb said:

Man you said it! Im just not that impressed with his drafting ability. It will be interesting to see how this team looks next year when the slow decline could possibly turn into an avalanche.

:hammer:

Mike 1967

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I also want to add that Bellichek's first year with the Patriots led to a 5-11 season. So if the system was perfectly set up for him, why did he fail so miserably that first year?

I can explain why the Patriots had much more success the next season. It's simple; Bellichek opened up more to his players and they finally bought into his system. Bellichek never demonstrated any emotion at all, even his notorious cockiness that he demonstrates now. Back then he was a quiet hermit who stuck to himself.

In 2001, he finally showed some emotion by predicting they would win and by standing by his players. It created instant chemistry on that team and they bonded.

The evidence speaks for itself. The patriots started the 2001 season 0-2. By mid-season, they were 4-4, which is hardly indicative of a team that is going to win the Superbowl. They lost only one more game the rest of the season. So it was obvious, something caused a spark mid-season and that was Bellichek when he went off on that rant to the media. That caused his team to finally start buying into his blue-collar "the world is against us" attitude.

If Bellichek had not started showing some emotion and opening up to his players, they would have continued down the Cleveland Brown path.

But lets get to the core question/issue that began this thread.

Primarily the book.

If Bellichek has failed to give any credit to Parcells.....then that silence speaks volumes.

Unless you are going to try and argue that Bill contributed no major ingredients to the coaching systems/philosophy's that Billichek employs today.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
True.

If Belichek has failed to give any credit to Parcells...when there are similiarities that are obvious to even the most casual fan....then it is Billicheks silence that is convicting him. He is not being convicted by the degree to which each past experience has individually formed the end product that he is today.

Why do we assume Parcells never learned anything from Bellichek? If you had a genius at DC, you would obviously take a thing or two away from having worked with him.

Alexander

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
True.

Put yourself in Belichick's shoes.

You toiled for years. Your boss taught you a good deal about how to be a head coach. However, your hard work was never recognized. But the boss got the credit. Then you strike out on your own and accomplish things at a level and even above what your boss did.

It appears everyone wants Belichick to bow to Coach Parcells' genius, just like it is a given that he taught him everything he knows, which is making a statement knowing half the story.

I don't question another man's motives where and when to give credit, particularly where the waters are as muddied as these.

DBoys

Reaction score
RoyWilliams said:
Bill Belichick left the Jets because his contract promised him total control over personnel when he became head coach. Parcells threw him a curve ball when he stepped down as head coach and then announced he would stay as general manager overseeing personnel and Belichick bolted no longer willing to work under Parcells.

In a review of the new David Halberstam book on Belichick, Providence Journal writer Bill Reynolds describes a situation in the book where Belichick was with Parcells in New York. It was during a game. After a heated exchange over the open coaches microphones, Parcells said to Belichick, "Yeah, you're a genius, everyone knows it, a ......... genius, but that's why you failed as a head coach--that's why you'll never be a head coach. Some genius."

Who wouldn't want to work for a guy like that?

Important to get both sides of the story though what did Belichek say to get that kind of emotion from BP?

ravidubey

Reaction score
Belichek has done a great job with New England, but a lot of what he's learned came from the Tuna. If things were so bad with Bill, why would he go back to Bill in New England after failing in Cleveland and then follow him yet again to New York?

This is just Belichek's ego flashing-- nothing to get crazy about. What coach didn't/doesn't have an ego? You have to in order to exert your personality on the game.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
But lets get to the core question/issue that began this thread.

Primarily the book.

If Bellichek has failed to give any credit to Parcells.....then that silence speaks volumes.

Unless you are going to try and argue that Bill contributed no major ingredients to the coaching systems/philosophy's that Billichek employs today.

Why does that speak volumes? That's just your interpretation. Sure, I see where you are coming from. You could see it as him being jealous or envious of Parcells and deliberately fails to give him any credit to spite him.

Or maybe, Bellichik is just being honest and doesn't feel indebted to providing Parcells credit simply because he was his boss for several years.

When the Patriots played us in 2003, Bellichek just put on a clinic and exposed Parcells. And that was during Parcell's 10-6 season. I didn't get any indication that Parcells taugh Bellichek a thing or two. Those schemes didn't look like anything Parcells was implementing with Dallas at the time.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
So far the only thing I've seen about Parcells is that he said they had contrasting styles and because of that Parcells didnt really influence his coaching career.

Strange....if you look at so many things the Pats and the Cowboys do now, it's eerily similar to the point that when one guy does something, the other tends to follow suit.

Rich.............