Bill Parcells is the most overrated football coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

maestro

Reaction score
I'm just saying what everyone is thinking. Parcells cannot win without Belichik. Belichik was the genius behind Parcell's defense. Without him, he can't win. Parcells is a great coach but he is overrated as hell. He is just a big fat guy who yells. That's his entire trick. He just scares his players into discipline. That's a great quality but that won't win you championships. Parcells is not an extraordinary strategist. He only won because Belichik was always at his side. From the Giants to the Jets, Belichik was there. Last year, Belichik embarassed and outcoached Parcells. It wasn't a secret who the real brains behind those championships were.

The bad side of Parcells is coming out. At the expese of great discipline comes an obsession with control. Look at some of Parcell's moves. Quincy Carter was cut because he rubbed Parcells the wrong way. That's an immature reason to cutting someone. I'm not particularly fond of Carter fan but even the biggest Carter hater can acknowledge our lack of depth at quarterback. We have a rookie who has not played football in 4 years and a 42 year old geezer. You cut Quincy Carter when you have two experienced QB's on your roster not when you have a rookie and the oldest QB in the NFL. A big reason why we don't sign talented free agents is because Parcell's fears a lack of loyalty from these players. Parcells doesn't want anyone who is not willing to kiss his ***. That is why Troy Hambrick started last year and why we didn't sign a veteran RB.

Parcells also starts players that are loyal to him that are not necessarily the most talented. Richie Anderson has no business getting carries let alone starting. Ryan Young was a failure. Testaverde is a backup QB. He won't last the entire season.

The team lacks talent in large part because Parcells doesn't want to compete with new talent. He only wants "Parcells guys. Parcells would rather stick with some losers like Pete Hunter who are loyal to him than asking Jerry to bring in a big name player. Parcells left the Jets because Bob Kraft didn't obey his every single command. Kraft said screw Parcells and drafted Terry Glen who only set the rookie reception mark with 90. Parcells is nothing but a fat overinflated ego that takes too much credit. I guarantee you Dallas will not win a championship under Parcells. What is likely to happen is that Parcells will get frustrated at the end of next season and quit when things go bad. Parcells doesn't have Belichik to lean on.

This is like the Buc's situation. Tony Dungy turned around the team but he couldn't win a Superbowl with them. I agree we needed Parcells last year and this year. Discipline was sorely lacking on this team and his style of coaching turned the team around. But now Parcell's obsesive fascination with control is actually hurting this team. To win a championship, we need a coach is more intelligent and savy regarding playcalling and creation. And we need a coach who can work with egos. Let's face it, egos win.

Parcells is a great coach but there are better coaches in the NFL. Parcells can go to some team like Arizona and make them 9-7. Let him get all the awards for 2 years but he won't win a championship there either because good ole Belichik is not his wing man anymore.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Great post. Excellent. I agree with a lot of things that you said. and there are some things I may not agree with you on, but not neccessarily disagree with you either.

The biggest thing is I do believe Parcells is a very good coach and that is he is very overrated. I do like the type of athlete's he likes to coach,( those who will work hard, leave it all on the field, and play smart, also very fundamentally sound). I believe he is afraid of the superstar type of athletes.

I believe Cutting Carter was a very very big mistake, but I do not believe Parcells was the driver on that decision, that was pushed hard by Jones, because they think Henson will be something.

My thing was was stop the momentum you gained last season, take a step back because you believe a player that was supposedly so good in college, but yet has not played in 3 or 4yrs will be a star.

Carter was due to have an outstanding season, this season we had the momentum, he had stability because he would have had the same offense and coaching staff for 2yrs he was ready to break out and drive this team far into the post season possibly SB.

We would be 2-0 right now and averaging more that 18 points a game.

We shall see. I believe Carter will be leading a team to the Superbowl before we get back there with Henson or someone else, I believe it will be someone else leading us when we get back and not Henson. I just do not see star quality in Henson, what I saw from him reminded me of Hutch.

I would love to be proven wrong, this time. time will tell.

Reaction score
You must be out of your mind to believe most of that drivel that you sat and typed. Nobody is arguing that Parcells is the greatest coach of all time, but he took a team with almost no talent and went to the playoffs last year. The bottom line is, you don't win championships by grabbing free agents and overpaying them. Ask the Commanders.

Like it or not, all the teams that are winning championships or coming close, as in Baltimore, New England, Philadelphia, Tennessee, are all teams that built their rosters through drafting and depth, and that is what we're trying to do. This is a team that is getting better, especially with plenty of draft picks next year, but it's not going to be overnight.

Watching Philly play last night i'm already giving up any hope of winning the NFC East this year.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow...did not know Bob Kraft had anything to do with the Jets....furthermore QC screwed QC....if he had stayed clean and not spazzed out anytime any competition was brought in he would still be on this team, plain and simple.

Let's not blame bill or JJ, Let's not make excuses for those that screwed themselves aka QC and his drugs and paranoia....on other thing if he was really talented and a great player the FO could have tried and looked past it, but he was not so they cut him lose.
Hell it was not like he had a chance before as a young guy and STILL screwed himself.
All this boohoo crap for a mediocre QB with a drug problem and paranoid issues is sad IMO.

I can agree with some of the other stuff in the main post.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
Like WHAT?!> ;)

He has not won a SB without mini Bill or even got to one without mini Bill....Yet.

Mini bill...AND the pats embarrased us last year.

I do think bill has "His" players that he feels comfortable with and at times I think it clouds his vision as to the needs of the team and getting other players.

Other then that most of the main post was nothing more then wanting a reaction and a look at me post.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
He has not won a SB without mini Bill or even got to one without mini Bill....Yet.

Mini bill...AND the pats embarrased us last year.

I do think bill has "His" players that he feels comfortable with and at times I think it clouds his vision as to the needs of the team and getting other players.

Other then that most of the main post was nothing more then wanting a reaction and a look at me post.
I was teasing you, BP.

But I look at it this way.

No other head coach to my knowledge has taken over four franchises in such dire straits as Tuna, and built them back up to respectability. Righted four sinking or already sunk ships.

Belichick certainly has not.

Tuna also coaches both side of the ball, and every position.

No, he's not the defensive mind Mumbles is , but Belichick is winning with Tuna's staff - in particular Weis and Crennel, guys Tuna found and trained . Not to mention Pioli, who Tuna brought into the league.

I gotta get into Extremeskins soon or I will blow my top, lol.

Pooz

Reaction score
this whole post is blasphemeous! Remember 5-11, you guys will never be pleased, you are worse the Longhorn fans I swear, and I am one by the way. Who do you want Campo and QC back? Silly.... :eek:

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
LikDeez said:
this whole post is blasphemeous! Remember 5-11, you guys will never be pleased, you are worse the Longhorn fans I swear, and I am one by the way. Who do you want Campo and QC back? Silly.... :eek:
Ha!

Sacrilege!

Better this way tho, even if some of the points are inane.

I mean better than the Sacred Cow status reserved for the sainted Joe Gibbs.

Can't wait to see Tuna and his Boyz bring Joe and his DOWN.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
LikDeez said:

Hey...You..LikDeez, funny stuff man.

Keep it coming.

Reaction score
Do you not realize that Quincy was not and is not a great QB? Bottom line. Anyway, for all the people talking about how Parcells never did it without Belichek, did you see the Browns while he was HC there? The reason they beat us down last year was not because he super outcoached Parcells, it was because they had a vastly superior team. One that has much more talent than ours, and by the way, has won 17 consecutive games. Idiots.

CoverCorner41

Benched
Reaction score
Only a casual, non educated football fan would think Parcells is overated. You have to be blind to not see what he has done for his teams and this league. If it wasnt for Parcells, Belicheck wouldnt be what he is today.

maestro

Reaction score
Joshmvii said:
You must be out of your mind to believe most of that drivel that you sat and typed. Nobody is arguing that Parcells is the greatest coach of all time, but he took a team with almost no talent and went to the playoffs last year. The bottom line is, you don't win championships by grabbing free agents and overpaying them. Ask the Commanders.

Like it or not, all the teams that are winning championships or coming close, as in Baltimore, New England, Philadelphia, Tennessee, are all teams that built their rosters through drafting and depth, and that is what we're trying to do. This is a team that is getting better, especially with plenty of draft picks next year, but it's not going to be overnight.

Watching Philly play last night i'm already giving up any hope of winning the NFC East this year.

I didn't say Parcells wasn't a great coach. He is a great coach but he is often implied to be the greatest coach of all time and I don't believe that. And I don't think he is capable of taking this team to a Superbowl without his genius sidekick known as Belicek. Parcells always won with defense and Belicek was his ace.

Our defense last year was not the defensive giant that it was according to it's rank. Out D got exposed later in the season. This year, our defense has the same players and they are far worse, not a slightly worse due to Woodson's loss.

Parcells cannot win without Belicek

maestro

Reaction score
CoverCorner41 said:
Only a casual, non educated football fan would think Parcells is overated. You have to be blind to not see what he has done for his teams and this league. If it wasnt for Parcells, Belicheck wouldnt be what he is today.

Please, did you not watch that New England game. Belicek is a freaking genius. Parcells is just a fat guy who yells. He was the head coach so naturally he took all the credit but Belichek outcoached Parcells last year.

maestro

Reaction score
SacredStar said:
Parcells record speaks itself

Would you rather have Mike Sherman?

I would rather have Bob Stoops, Jimmy Johnson, Mike Shanahan and the old man himself Joe Gibbs, despite their head to head record. Without Belichek, Parcells is going to get exposed by Gibbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.