Bills are cutting Mario

TXCowboyVol

Reaction score
Williams apparently. Sorry if already posted. If this happens...buh-bye Hardy and Mario come on down! Way better suited for a 4-3 anyhow!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'd stick with Hardy.

Don't think the Cowboys will unless he's willing to sign a series of one year contracts similar to what TO did to protect the team. I don't see the Cowboys investing a lot of guaranteed money in Hardy far too risky and if the reports are true that he's been late for meetings and missed some meetings there's no way he's coming back. The Cowboys have only won 2 games with Hardy on the field he hasn't been enough of a difference maker to risk resigning.

With the emergence of DLaw and Gregory looking a looking a little more active late in the season it lessons the need for Hardy. Mario Williams has no character concerns so there's little worry of team or off the field issues. Hardy simply can't be trusted something is bound to happen off the field or within the team that would force the Cowboys to release him. I'll be very surprised if he's back next season.

Last edited:

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Hardy averages 0.54 sacks a game over his career (40 sacks in 6 seasons). Williams averages 0.66 sacks a game over his career (95 sacks in 10 seasons). Williams is turning 31 in a few weeks and is 3.5 years older than Hardy. Williams has 4 sacks in 14 games this year. Hardy has 6 sacks in 11 games. I could see an argument made for both.

For Hardy: He's younger. He's still in his prime. He had a better year this year (even though it wasn't that good).

For Williams: Despite being older, he's still a solid player. We could possibly get him on a cheap, short term deal, while Hardy might demand a multi-year deal.

I really want the reins to be handed over to Gregory. I think we should build around our young DE duo in Gregory/Lawrence. That being said, having a trio of edge rushers and a few interior rushers could make our DL dominant next year. I'd take Hardy over Williams on age, attitude and ability. But I wouldn't take Hardy if it meant stopping Gregory's progress and shelling out a long-term deal to a third DE. If that's the case, I'd take Williams on a 1-2 year deal if he accepts a backup role so that we can start Gregory next year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
lol. Dude, Hardy is far better player than Mario and younger.

No doubt he is but Hardy is a distraction who has character concerns and I firmly believe if the Cowboys were to bring him back he would do something that would force the team to release him. Williams may not be as good but you can count on him to not start any trouble or be a distraction.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Don't think the Cowboys will unless he's willing to sign a series of one year contracts similar to what TO did to protect the team. I don't see the Cowboys investing a lot of guaranteed money in Hardy far too risky and if the reports are true that he's been late for meeting and missed some meeting there's no way he's coming back. The Cowboys have only won 2 games with Hardy on the field he hasn't been enough of a difference maker to risk resigning.

With the emergence of DLaw and Gregory looking a looking a little more active late in the season it lessons the need for Hardy. Mario Williams has no character concerns so there's little worry of team or off the field issues. Hardy simply can't be trusted something is bound to happen off the field or within the team that would force the Cowboys to release him. I'll be very surprised if he's back next season.

I feel you. We need to build around our young DEs but we need to have solid depth. People want to give Hardy a long-term deal. What would that mean for Gregory? Hardy is not a long-term solution. Someone like Williams could be a great #3 DE who wouldn't impede Gregory and Lawrence.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Id absolutely sign him on a reasonable deal. Maybe 3 year 20-24 million. With enough guaranteed to get out after year 2. The entire Bills DL was very good last season in a 4-3. In comes Rex and a scheme change and the whole thing went belly up. The players do not like the change and feel it's not a fit. Put him back in a 4-3 and I could easily see him pushing double digit sacks for the next 2 years.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Williams had 14.5 two years ago. We're in an interesting situation where we need to build for the future but also stay relevant for the remainder of the Romo era. That means building around young guys while adding cheap, veteran depth. Williams may not be Hardy but he's a better version of Mincey and could still be good for the next 1-2 years.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Looks good in Madden, but in real life he is older and not as good as Hardy. Also Dallas hasn't been in the market for 30 year old FAs. I also expect Dallas to add a DE via the draft.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I feel you. We need to build around our young DEs but we need to have solid depth. People want to give Hardy a long-term deal. What would that mean for Gregory? Hardy is not a long-term solution. Someone like Williams could be a great #3 DE who wouldn't impede Gregory and Lawrence.

You simply can't risk a long-term deal on Hardy because he can't be trusted. Every little thing he does is going to create a distraction for the team even resigning him would create a distraction. There's a lot of people who don't want him representing the Cowboys. I believe Jerry took the risk with him for one season because he felt he had a team that had a great chance to reach the SB this year. What knocked the Cowboys out of the playoffs last season was the lack of a pass rush. Hardy has made some plays this season but he's also caused some distractions and his play hasn't impacted the team near enough to risk a long-term deal on him.

Had he put up 10 sacks and it led to the Cowboys making the playoffs THEN I could see him returning but not after what has been a miserable 4 win season resulting in the team sitting in the basement of the NFC LEAST. Jerry took a risk on Pacman Jones in 2008 because he felt he had a SB contender and although Pacman played pretty well Jerry got rid of him after only one season due to off the field concerns. His play didn't help the team make the playoffs that season and it was one and done for Pacman who's been a very solid corner for Cinn. I see the same thing with Hardy and the Cowboys one year and done!

RW31

Reaction score
Eh. Peppers was washed when he left the Bears. If Williams would sign a smaller short term type deal, like 3 years, 20 mil. or something I'd be ok. I think he can still be somewhat productive if used correctly. But he's gonna go to the highest bidder, to some terrible team like the Browns or something that will pay him 40+ mil. on a long term deal (4+ years).