Bills are cutting Mario

superonyx

Reaction score
I don't take the amount of sacks Mario had this year to mean anything. He was forced to play in the 3-4 and he made it known that he was no longer allowed to rush the passer like he used to. The 3-4 has DE's playing contain while the LBers are moving around and rushing the QB ect.

If anything he is worth a look to see if he has enough left.

I have a feeling someone will pay him nicely though.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I don't take the amount of sacks Mario had this year to mean anything. He was forced to play in the 3-4 and he made it known that he was no longer allowed to rush the passer like he used to. The 3-4 has DE's playing contain while the LBers are moving around and rushing the QB ect.

Yep. People don't realize, Mario Williams quietly put together a legendary career. People are crazy to think Hardy in his prime is better than Williams in his prime. The only real question is, how far off has Williams fallen? If we let this year be a throwaway, then he was pretty darn good two years ago in the 4-3.

Wood

Reaction score
Williams apparently. Sorry if already posted. If this happens...buh-bye Hardy and Mario come on down! Way better suited for a 4-3 anyhow!

I agree but need to be careful here. Buffalo knows when to move defensive players (they absolutely sole McCoy from Philly for injured Kiko Alonso). Williams is also 31 years old. His contract needs to be reasonable to bite on.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Eh. Peppers was washed when he left the Bears. If Williams would sign a smaller short term type deal, like 3 years, 20 mil. or something I'd be ok. I think he can still be somewhat productive if used correctly. But he's gonna go to the highest bidder, to some terrible team like the Browns or something that will pay him 40+ mil. on a long term deal (4+ years).

I see the same thing. Some pass rush needy team with an abundance of cap space will sign him to a deal we (fans) won't want to touch. I still think he will be productive though.

Wood

Reaction score
I'd be alright with Mario if his salary is lower than Hardy would demand and we used the extra cap space to make a play for Alshon Jeffery or Weddle.

Jeffery makes me nervous. He would miss time for hang nail this year. I think Dallas needs unadulterated speed at WR to compliment Dez.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We shouldn't risk long-term deals on veterans. It hasn't worked out in a long time. We've done well in the draft lately and have a lot of young players to build around.

1) Our OL contains 4 young players with superstar potential. 3 of them have already lived up to it. We also have Chaz Green waiting in the wings.

2) Our DL contains a pair of DEs with unlimited potential. Lawrence has finally started to live up to his. Gregory needs to be given a chance to be the guy. We also have a strong 3-tech DT pair in T. Crawford and Irving. All we need is a 1-tech and we can have a young, dominant lines on both sides of the ball.

3) LB will need to be addressed soon. We might get by another year if Lee can stay healthy. Hitchens deserves a chance to take over one of the spots. We might want to move on from RoMc and let Hitchens take over. We'll eventually need a WLB. How long does Lee have left? This year has some studs in Smith and Jack.

4) Secondary is a bit of a mess but a strong front-7 can make their jobs easier. Jones is here to stay. Question is, is he a CB or FS? Scandrick can be a stopgap but we'll need to eventually find his replacement. And SS needs addressing.

All in all, it took us a long time to get out of salary cap hell. Let's avoid long, expensive contracts to vets. Continue to build through the draft and shore up weaknesses with Mincey-like deals.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

The entire Bills DL is pissed. Hughes didn't even start a couple of weeks ago. Williams getting cut. It was incredible stupid for the owner/GM to hire a 3-4 coach when they had an elite 4-3 DL already. Now they just have a bunch of square pegs.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have two young emerging edge rushers. It'd be an odd time to sign a high priced 30 year old vet to add to that mix.

superonyx

Reaction score
I agree but need to be careful here. Buffalo knows when to move defensive players (they absolutely sole McCoy from Philly for injured Kiko Alonso). Williams is also 31 years old. His contract needs to be reasonable to bite on.

He did have a year with several soft tissue injuries. However he has started 37 consecutive games before this season and his production has been Dez Bryant like.

"For comparison purposes, Bryant totaled 185 catches for 2013-14 vs. Jeffery’s 174, with Jeffery totaling 2,554 yards to Bryant’s 2,553."

I believe he ends up getting either franchise tag or a contract way too rich for us considering Bryant is getting so much.

I like the idea of a true speedster but I am not sure if our offensive philosophy and our QB's strengths compliment what a speedster brings. Do you have any particular players in mind that could fill this role? I really hope T Will isn't our 2nd WR again next year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Can't say as I'm totally convinced and excited about either Hardy or Mario Williams, as both leave room for doubts in one area or another.

Nonetheless, what they seek monetarily by way of their contract demands will bear a big influence as to their desirability for the Cowboys.

I can definitely picture a real possibility that either or both of them might well produce considerably more than they have throughout 2015.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
The Cowboys have two young emerging edge rushers. It'd be an odd time to sign a high priced 30 year old vet to add to that mix.

Yep. If he comes on a Mincey deal I'd do it. But I imagine he'll be looking for a pay day. That's a reason why I'm not too quick to want Hardy back. We'd be a better team with the trio of Hardy/Gregory/Lawrence but I wouldn't want Hardy to take away snaps from Gregory and I wouldn't want Gregory to be a backup for the remainder of his rookie contract if we sign Hardy to a long-term deal. I'd rather roll with our young guys and fill any holes or depth issues with cheap veteran deals.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
The entire Bills DL is pissed. Hughes didn't even start a couple of weeks ago. Williams getting cut. It was incredible stupid for the owner/GM to hire a 3-4 coach when they had an elite 4-3 DL already. Now they just have a bunch of square pegs.

Yep. The production of every DLineman went down from last year. M. Williams, K. Williams, Hughes and Dareus had 40 combined sacks last year. They have 12 this year. The whole team went from 54 to 20 sacks.

Last edited:

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
People are overestimating Hardy's talent.

He isn't THAT good. He isn't a top tier pass rusher.

juck

Reaction score
He is a beast in the 4-3. Ryan swapped him to 3-4.Id rather have him than Hardy. Both would be nice.

silver

Reaction score
People are overestimating Hardy's talent.

He isn't THAT good. He isn't a top tier pass rusher.

I disagree. He applied constant pressure throughout the year. Best pass rusher we've got. He's the reason Lawrence had a good year.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Prepare for the future by continuing to build through the draft. Stay competitive in the present by cutting the fat and filling holes via short deals with vets. Don't get caught up in salary cap hell again by committing to veteran free agents. If Mario wants to come over on a Mincey deal, get him. If Hardy wants to stay another year, keep him. If either of them want ab expensive, long-term deal, find it elsewhere. Our future is Gregory and Lawrence, not Hardy and Mario.