Bills Bench Tyrod Taylor

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Tough choice and probably an unpopular one for McDermott.

This is what a coach has to do in today's league for most teams. Make a tough decision even if things are not desperate yet.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Tough choice and probably an unpopular one for McDermott.

This is what a coach has to do in today's league for most teams. Make a tough decision even if things are not desperate yet.

Yeah. This is probably the move that's going to put them back on top.

Alexander

Reaction score
Yeah. This is probably the move that's going to put them back on top.
I don't think even they think that.

But this allows them to see what they have in Peterman and know what they have to do in the draft or free agency.

It should have been pretty clear they could not compete by continuing with Taylor. And he was not in their plans next year.

It is a bold move that most coaches would not make.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think even they think that.

But this allows them to see what they have in Peterman and know what they have to do in the draft or free agency.

It should have been pretty clear they could not compete by continuing with Taylor. And he was not in their plans next year.

It is a bold move that most coaches would not make.

Not every bold move should be made.

The Bills are 5-4, and they have no QB. The answer to the question "is Nathan Peterman the answer" is "no."

They should play their starter and give the team the best chance to win. If they're desperate now, take desperate chances with your best players in the lineup. On sides kicks at kickoff. Go for it on 4th downs. Fake some punts.

Plug in Peterman to confirm you need to draft another QB once you're eliminated. There'll be plenty of time to see he's not the guy.

Alexander

Reaction score
Not every bold move should be made.

The Bills are 5-4, and they have no QB. The answer to the question "is Nathan Peterman the answer" is "no."

They should play their starter and give the team the best chance to win. If they're desperate now, take desperate chances with your best players in the lineup. On sides kicks at kickoff. Go for it on 4th downs. Fake some punts.

Plug in Peterman to confirm you need to draft another QB once you're eliminated. There'll be plenty of time to see he's not the guy.

This is the conservative method and where has that approach worked for a first year GM and first year coach?

They are what is going to be an on-going theme when bad teams change direction with new GMs and head coaches.

They want their guy. They are not in the business of treading water and hoping they can salvage year to year because that gets people fired.

I know it is strange for us to see as Cowboy fans but in other cities the GM and coach are always in fear for their job. They are held accountable. I don't think the Pegulas will hold it against them to look out for the best interests of the franchise and look to the future versus keeping a QB that is not in their future plans just because the record says so. They are not scoring points with Taylor at the helm. The last two games their offense looked completely inept. They had to spark that side of the football at least. A fake punt is not going to get it done.

In most cities, doing absolutely nothing and hoping for 8-8 is not good enough.

It may not work out for them and might look dumb at the end of the day, but they get points from me for not doing the safe thing. Making the tough decisions and taking risks is how bad teams can break out of the malaise.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the conservative method and where has that approach worked for a first year GM and first year coach?

They are what is going to be an on-going theme when bad teams change direction with new GMs and head coaches.

They want their guy. They are not in the business of treading water and hoping they can salvage year to year because that gets people fired.

I know it is strange for us to see as Cowboy fans but in other cities the GM and coach are always in fear for their job. They are held accountable. I don't think the Pegulas will hold it against them to look out for the best interests of the franchise and look to the future versus keeping a QB that is not in their future plans just because the record says so. They are not scoring points with Taylor at the helm. The last two games their offense looked completely inept. They had to spark that side of the football at least. A fake punt is not going to get it done.

In most cities, doing absolutely nothing and hoping for 8-8 is not good enough.

It may not work out for them and might look dumb at the end of the day, but they get points from me for not doing the safe thing. Making the tough decisions and taking risks is how bad teams can break out of the malaise.

I don't hand out points for doing things that are bold and stupid. If this guy could play, we'd know already. Because Taylor has been what he's been all camp.

All this will do is signal desperation to a 5-4 roster prematurely. Much better to double down with your best guy and be more aggressive yourself with your game plan and your calls. Fix QB in the offseason when there are legitimate options for doing so.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Feels like something happened between McDermott and Taylor yesterday, given the coach said this on Monday:

“Because I believe in Tyrod,” McDermott said. “Tyrod is our starter. That’s what I said (Sunday). I know what Tyrod has done and I also know what Nate has done. Tyrod is our starter.”

Tyrod Taylor benched by the Bills, 2 days after being told he was still the starter

Now, that's a possibility that makes more sense.

Either way, this isn't good news for Bills fans.

Alexander

Reaction score
I don't hand out points for doing things that are bold and stupid. If this guy could play, we'd know already.

Wait, Peterman is a rookie. How would they know if he can play or not?

Because Taylor has been what he's been all camp.

Yes, a limited QB with great mobility and someone who could make enough plays off script. He has poor accuracy and feel for the passing game. They were not willing to go with an offense that molded itself around him. They drafted Peterman for a reason. Same as we did with Prescott.

All this will do is signal desperation to a 5-4 roster prematurely. Much better to double down with your best guy and be more aggressive yourself with your game plan and your calls. Fix QB in the offseason when there are legitimate options for doing so.

So you think the Bills players are just going to roll over and die?

If so, that helps you filter out who is buying into the message and who is not. Isn't that what the "process" is all about?

Seems to me you are holding McDermott to an expectation you wouldn't even apply to the staff of your own team.

Alexander

Reaction score
Now, that's a possibility that makes more sense.

Either way, this isn't good news for Bills fans.
That will be a factor if this blows up. That might turn the locker room against McDermott. It all depends on what the environment is in that locker room and how much sway Taylor has with the rest of the players.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait, Peterman is a rookie. How would they know if he can play or not?

Yes, a limited QB with great mobility and someone who could make enough plays off script. He has poor accuracy and feel for the passing game. They were not willing to go with an offense that molded itself around him. They drafted Peterman for a reason. Same as we did with Prescott.

So you think the Bills players are just going to roll over and die?

If so, that helps you filter out who is buying into the message and who is not. Isn't that what the "process" is all about?

Seems to me you are holding McDermott to an expectation you wouldn't even apply to the staff of your own team.

Now you're just trolling again.

We'll see how well your prediction works out for them. That's the great thing about football. Maybe you're right and he's just the tonic for an ailing offense. It's a bold move from a bold coach, doing things the right way.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One would wonder if benching Tony Romo coming off an injury for a Hot Dak Prescott was a bold move and a good move at the same time.

I would imagine the Cowboys would not get the same amount of thumbs up attitude for making similar bold moves as other teams would.

Guess it just depends on who is declaring it a bold and good move.

Alexander

Reaction score
Now you're just trolling again.

No, just stating an opinion you don't like and pointing out the fact that conservative things like you suggested are not how most coaches and GMs will keep their jobs in today's microwave NFL. You win year to year but there is always expected to be the end result of on-going success for the future. Real foundational success, not just doing enough to look good one year, come back the next thinking you are good and failing and then repeating the process.

They had one of two choices, fail and look good "battling" or go down swinging and also preparing for the future at the most important position on the football field.

They took a route that most would not.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, just stating an opinion you don't like and pointing out the fact that conservative things like you suggested are not how most coaches and GMs will keep their jobs in today's microwave NFL. You win year to year but there is always expected to be the end result of on-going success for the future. Real foundational success, not just doing enough to look good one year, come back the next thinking you are good and failing and then repeating the process.

They had one of two choices, fail and look good "battling" or go down swinging and also preparing for the future at the most important position on the football field.

They took a route that most would not.

Lol. Ok. Who am I to say what your motivations are?

I got no dog in the Bills QB controversy. I don't care, either way. If I'm a Bill fan, I don't cosnsider this an upgrade, though.

Alexander

Reaction score
One would wonder if benching Tony Romo coming off an injury for a Hot Dak Prescott was a bold move and a good move at the same time.

If Romo was healthy, it was a bold move.

But at the end of it all, since he is not playing anymore, how was it bold?

They were winning and winning big just one year ago when Romo made his speech. Not 5-4 and swirling around the drain like the Bills are right now.

I would imagine the Cowboys would not get the same amount of thumbs up attitude for making similar bold moves as other teams would.

Guess it just depends on who is declaring it a bold and good move.

Nice passive aggressive swipe there, BP. BTW, please point out where is used the "good move" part.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Romo was healthy, it was a bold move.

But at the end of it all, since he is not playing anymore, how was it bold?

They were winning and winning big just one year ago when Romo made his speech. Not 5-4 and swirling around the drain like the Bills are right now.

Nice passive aggressive swipe there, BP. BTW, please point out where is used the "good move" part.

Romo was healthy at one point last year.
One would say it is even a BOLDER move to let a Rookie on a hot streak keep starting over an established starter.
But maybe that is me.

As far as saying good movie or not...it does seem like you approve of the boldness of the coach. I don't think it is a leap to say you believe it is a good move....maybe you don't, maybe you do, but it is not a big leap to think you do by your words.

But it was neither a passive nor aggressive swipe.

Just a good old natural swipe towards someone that swipes and snipes on a regular basis...just figured you would think it was a "good move" snipe...I mean swipe.
:rolleyes:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
WOW ......... what a bold move ......... benching a super star like Tyrod Taylor that I have never even heard of, for another guy that I have never even heard of.

Bold I tell ya.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WOW ......... what a bold move ......... benching a super star like Tyrod Taylor that I have never even heard of, for another guy that I have never even heard of.

Bold I tell ya.

Have always felt like Tyrod Taylor was overrated. Thought so when he was with the Hokies and thought he would be in the NFL. Frankly was shocked he went as high as he did...but felt the same way about another QB that the bills drafted...EJ Manuel

John813

Reaction score
Wasn't there talk of the Bills wanting to cut TT last year, but couldn't due to him having surgery?