Birddog26 R.I.P

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Sad.
I hope this is an appropriate time to address this and I apologize if I am out of line....

From his link it appears Birddog passed away from colon cancer. I am a colon cancer survivor. When I turned 50 I had a colonoscopy and they found it at stage two. Caught early it has a high survival rate. There are often little or no symptoms Please, please please put aside the fears of the colonoscopy being an unpleasant deal and go get it when youre supposed to. Having no symptoms is irrelevant. By the time you have symptoms it's a lot harder to deal with.
Good on you! I’m 44. Isn’t it 50 when you need to start checking?

Centex

Reaction score

50 had traditionally been the suggested age and I think insurance paid my colonoscopy because I was 50, but I was already at stage 2 cancer at 50 and another friend is terminal with stage 4 at 50. If I knew then what I know now I might have self paid and had it done before 50. (With symptoms insurance would have paid earlier I am told). My only symptoms were tiredness and being blocked worse than a skinny linebacker on Larry Allen. I had no pain.

But ask your doctor. I don't want to be one of that thinks he knows medical stuff because he has been a patient.

John813

Reaction score
I'm going to do one when I turn 40. I'll pay out of pocket if I have to.

I thought they were going to drop the recommendation to the 40's soon. 45?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's kind of rule of thumb, but it's not as if colon cancer can't hit you before you turn 50. Talk to your doc about it. Particularly if you have had some problems, or if there is a history of colon cancer in your family, the doc may want to do a colonoscopy before you hit 50.

stiletto

Reaction score
50 had traditionally been the suggested age and I think insurance paid my colonoscopy because I was 50, but I was already at stage 2 cancer at 50 and another friend is terminal with stage 4 at 50. If I knew then what I know now I might have self paid and had it done before 50. (With symptoms insurance would have paid earlier I am told). My only symptoms were tiredness and being blocked worse than a skinny linebacker on Larry Allen. I had no pain.

But ask your doctor. I don't want to be one of that thinks he knows medical stuff because he has been a patient.

Family history is pretty huge as well, if colon cancer runs in the family, a good gastro will likely want you to get one done not matter your age; especially if you have symptoms or "issues".

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I had mine done at 50. Found a polyp. It was benign, but they removed it anyway. it wasn't a bad procedure at all.
Cleaning your system the night before is about the biggest issue. I'm suppose to have one again when I turn 60.

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
Very saddened to read this. As others have already pointed out, he was a good one. Very knowledgeable too.

Always bad news when one of the good guys leaves us. Hope he's left his family in a good place.. Thoughts and prayers.