Biscuit to ILB?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
IF Jerry was to give Roy one more year that would be an ideal role for him. He could play SS on obvious run downs, and then play nickel linebacker (assuming Burnett left as a free agent). He can also earn his money helping out on Special Teams

Jerry seems fond of him and Roy seems to really like being a Cowboy so maybe he restructures his deal to make it more cap friendly and himself more "cost effective".

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Rampage;2430824 said:
Roy is not a football player anymore. he's a preacher

Dead on! Biscuit can't even cover better than Burnett and that's sad when a DB can't cover better than an ILB. Play LB? In a 3-4 he'd have to put on another 35 lbs and don't give me that "well Zach does it" garbage. Roy needs to rehab and rework his deal if he wants any shot on this team next year.

Kelly Rowlen broke that kids heart. I don't care what anyone says. As soon as that chick called the wedding off this guy has been putrid.

popcorn

Reaction score
yes, Parcells trying to convince RW to stay slim so he could cover better, told him/us that.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
anybody besides me missing Roy and wish we had him this year? i think he'd help the defense out a lot.. he's much, much better than Keith Davis and Patrick Watkins and Courtney Brown.. and he worked so hard this offseason and seemed to be really motivated and focused on becoming an aggressive, impact hard-hitting player again..

the frustrating thing is that finally, after all these years, it seems like we may start attacking on defense, which is where Roy would have shined.. with the corners playing more physical this last game and Newman blanketing the other team's best man and Wade finally calling the defensive plays, i think if Roy were healthy he'd be able to attack the LOS more.. and he looked really aggressive and seemed to be making a lot of good hits in preseason and the first couple of regular season games.. he was even playing on special teams again, cause he's a team player..

i for one hope he's back next year.. he really does love being a Cowboy and Jerry really loves him and you know how he's loyal.. because Roy doesn't really seem to be all about the money, i really could see him reworking his deal if that's what it came to..

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;2430995 said:
anybody besides me missing Roy and wish we had him this year? i think he'd help the defense out a lot.. he's much, much better than Keith Davis and Patrick Watkins and Courtney Brown.. and he worked so hard this offseason and seemed to be really motivated and focused on becoming an aggressive, impact hard-hitting player again..

the frustrating thing is that finally, after all these years, it seems like we may start attacking on defense, which is where Roy would have shined.. with the corners playing more physical this last game and Newman blanketing the other team's best man and Wade finally calling the defensive plays, i think if Roy were healthy he'd be able to attack the LOS more.. and he looked really aggressive and seemed to be making a lot of good hits in preseason and the first couple of regular season games.. he was even playing on special teams again, cause he's a team player..

i for one hope he's back next year.. he really does love being a Cowboy and Jerry really loves him and you know how he's loyal.. because Roy doesn't really seem to be all about the money, i really could see him reworking his deal if that's what it came to..

I agree 100%. And for all the hate on Roy threads and posts, he pretty consistently over his years here did the one thing none of our safeties are doing now, and thats make some big plays. Hamlin, Watkins, Davis and Brown have all been awful this yr, especially in pass coverage where none of them seem to be doing anything.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;2430998 said:
I agree 100%. And for all the hate on Roy threads and posts, he pretty consistently over his years here did the one thing none of our safeties are doing now, and thats make some big plays. Hamlin, Watkins, Davis and Brown have all been awful this yr, especially in pass coverage where none of them seem to be doing anything.
Me too.

cowboyed

Reaction score
rocyaice;2430839 said:
I'd like to have Roy play closer to the line. I guess ILB is a way to do that. Its going to be a difficult transition though.

They have already brought Roy closer to the line at times, that is what is so vexing. Any closer and he would be in the opponents' huddle.

Jay

Reaction score
I'd rather draft a player to replace him. He's too old and these injuries keep occurring. Really wasting our time here but moving him I think gives us a medium sized cap hit so not sure we're gonna go with that either.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Biscuit?

Heck - send him to IHOP every day between now and training camp and make him our new Nose Guard.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2430884 said:
Will this topic ever die? Every single year the same silly idea.

He's very soon out of years at Safety in the NFL. He just can't cover ground and is a total liability in coverage, benched in paasing situations last year. He was best deployed as a Monster backer in college.

mmillman

Reaction score
Roy Williams the safety, maybe, maybe could play olb in a 4-3 but has no chance at ILB or OLB in a 3-4.

He has played his last game in Dallas

Wrangler87

Reaction score
BulletBob;2431091 said:
Biscuit?

Heck - send him to IHOP every day between now and training camp and make him our new Nose Guard.

Which is what we need more than anything.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Jay;2431052 said:
I'd rather draft a player to replace him. He's too old and these injuries keep occurring. Really wasting our time here but moving him I think gives us a medium sized cap hit so not sure we're gonna go with that either.
??? he's like 28 i think, and before this year, he had never once missed a single game in his previous 6 seasons because of an injury.. :confused:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I actually have always liked Roy, going back to his days at OU, and while I get frustrated with him at times I've always enjoyed seeing him on the field and I still, and always will, proudly wear my Roy Williams jersey.

I'd like to see him some how stay on this team next season, in some capacity, but I am sure that financially it simply won't be possible.

Jake0

Reaction score
I think the coaching philosophy was just stupid as hell. I guess I'm one of the few that'd like to see him back at SS next year. Really disappointed to see him go out for the season. Look at what happened when he was gone. Our coverage didn't improve at all. We still had dumb *** 10 yard soft zones and everything was just dumb even though we got rid of all our "supposed" weak links in the secondary (reeves, nate jones, rw38), even had Tony Siragusa of all people asking who does that stupid ****. He's never seen that in his life.

Our run D has taken a huge hit with rw38 gone and with the proper coaching that utilizes our DB's talents I think he'd be fine. I don't know if we'll ever see the old roy that made all those plays his first couple years here but he's still a more than adequate SS.

2much2soon

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2430957 said:
Play LB? In a 3-4 he'd have to put on another 35 lbs and don't give me that "well Zach does it" garbage.

Ok, how about Donnie Edwards did it for years and he was considerably smaller (220) than Roy?
Or that many 4-3 LBers are Roy's size, Derrick Brooks being one that immediately comes to mind.
Too difficult, mentally, to change positions? Its not like he is changing professions from being a dentist to being a heart surgeon. He just has to go tackle people and learn a few different responsibilities which he should already know.
The problem is not that Roy couldn't play ILB in the 3-4, or WOLB in a 4-3, its that he doesn't want, or physically can't due to chronic pain, to hit anybody anymore.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Just because Davis and the others aren't as good doesn't mean RW needs to be back there. I'm not convinced he can cover well enough to be on a championship club. He could possibly play Burnett's role as a nickle/dime ILB. Maybe and that's a long, long maybe. I'd rather have Burnett back there. It's working with him. We need a MILB who can cover better than Bradie and still play the run. That's one thing missing on the club.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
Why would you put the softest and worst tackler in professional football at linebacker?

But yeah, the Cowboys' run defense has really taken a hit without him. Surely they miss his 12 tackles made within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage against the run over the span of 15 games (0.8 per game). HOW CAN THEY GET SUCH IMPACT FROM ANOTHER?