Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Russian nuclear scientists arrested for 'Bitcoin mining plot'
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43003740

Russian security officers have arrested several scientists working at a top-secret Russian nuclear warhead facility for allegedly mining crypto-currencies.

The suspects had tried to use one of Russia's most powerful supercomputers to mine Bitcoins, media reports say.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Eye on this last couple month.......

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/western-union-says-testing-transactions-222308213.html

Western Union Says It's Testing Transactions With Ripple

Bloomberg
•February 13, 2018

fa2a5990893dc38e36fb4345d3ac1f97

Western Union Says It's Testing Transactions With Ripple

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
You know, I had actually thought about investing in Ripple at one time. (actually, about mid-December when it was around $0.75) Mainly, because it wasn't the standard cryptocurrency. It started shooting up and I was thinking, wow. I should have pulled the trigger (I don't beat myself up over stuff like that) You hit some, you miss some, you win some, and you always will lose some, but I pride myself on never being the speculative sucker at the table.

Anyhow, as it was shooting up I held off on buying it because I started to think. Okay, we know what Ripple is. How do you define it's actual value? To do that, you must understand what it does and what that's true value is.

Ripple is a facility to send anything of monetary value (cash, silver, gold, water) globally providing the two gateways *trust* each other and support the trading of the monetary item in question on either side. (ie, money in -> gold out is supported)

Ripples (what you're actually buying here) is actually used as a last resort. It is used only when the two gateways at hand do not actually have a trust relationship. So, gateway A) accepts Bob's $50 and converts them to ripples and transfers those ripples to gateway B) and gateway B) converts those ripples back to $50 cash to give to Jim.

So, I ask. What is individual ripples value derived from? If I have $50 and I want to send it to John in German. How many ripples does that take? (currently 43.47) Why does it take 43.47 ripples to be valued at $50. I mean, again. What is the value of a ripple derived from? Some Joe Schmoe purchasing a ripple at a specific price without the intent on actually transacting with someone overseas? Just to hold ownership of a ripple? We expect millions of people to buy ripple just to hold it? That serves no purpose, except for those wanting to use ripples to transfer monetary value from one place to another. That doesn't benefit the holder of ripple since the people using ripple to facilitate trading aren't providing value to the person that holds ripple isn't even in play of that transaction.

Say 1,000,000 buy 1,000 ripples and that drives the price to $1 each.

Bob and Jim trade $50 again. Gateway A) sends 50 ripples to gateway B) and Jim gets his money. The two gateways get a piece of the transaction fee, (ripple is like a Western Union of sort) but the other people who hold ripple get diddly swat. So, it's not even as if ripples where shares of the Ripple company and you get a piece of their earnings on those transactions. It isn't shares, and you're not getting any of those profits.

Instead of a million people buying a thousand shares, only 500,000 bought 500 shares and now Ripple is a $0.50 per. Now Bob and Jim trade $50 again. This time Gateway A) sends 100 ripples instead of 50 ripples to gateway B) and Jim then gets his money.

Either way it happen no matter what the price of ripples are providing they aren't zero. Ripples can be worth $0.0001 and that $50 transaction can still happen. So I ask. What is the value of a ripple to an investor? The only people who should care about the value of a ripple are those that buy and hold it. Those that use ripple for it's facility, it's 100% irrelevant. So, there are only two classes that would own ripple to hold it.

1. Gateways, because they must own ripple to facilitate the transaction.
  2. People who have no valid reason to actually own it as it serve them no purpose.
This is why I didn't end up purchasing ripples at $0.75 just prior to it's rise to almost $4 and them immediate fall back to $0.75. Now that's it's rising again. I smirk and think. Are gateways pulling the strings here? I mean, they are the ones to make the money if outsiders (people other than gateways) are buying ripples. Because if they buy ripples 5 million at $0.75 to support their business. Then a 10 million other people buy thousand ripples and boost the price to $4. You just turned their $3.75M into $20M which would make you their cash cow puppet.

Sure, you can speculate (again, GAMBLE), but most speculators / gamblers can win early on, but a massive majority end up losers over the long haul.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reality Lets start a cryptocurrency and ICO it. I could use some extra cash for my portfolio. :)

:D:D:D
*laughs*

The formula is pretty easy. Create a fake or future purpose for the currency or tie it into something highly popular and addicting (cat image and video sharing for example). Then define X coins in the pool and keep 50% for yourself. Then allocate and buy 10 public coins (not from your 50%) for $100 each, thereby creating a coin valuation of $100. Then go out and start getting people in by offering them $50 coin options for your first pre-ICO investment phase. Then $75 for the second pre-ICO investment phase and then $100 for each additional pre-ICO phase. Then launch your ICO and the once the cash infusion starts to slow down, start planning your exit strategy. Retire and buy your own island.

Sound good? :D

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
*laughs*

The formula is pretty easy. Create a fake or future purpose for the currency or tie it into something highly popular and addicting (cat image and video sharing for example). Then define X coins in the pool and keep 50% for yourself. Then allocate and buy 10 public coins (not from your 50%) for $100 each, thereby creating a coin valuation of $100. Then go out and start getting people in by offering them $50 coin options for your first pre-ICO investment phase. Then $75 for the second pre-ICO investment phase and then $100 for each additional pre-ICO phase. Then launch your ICO and the once the cash infusion starts to slow down, start planning your exit strategy. Retire and buy your own island.

Sound good? :D
Yes, and the cat image / video idea is a no brainer if we we use Facebook for our propaganda! Funny cat images for the win! :laugh::lmao::lmao2:

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
You know, I had actually thought about investing in Ripple at one time. (actually, about mid-December when it was around $0.75) Mainly, because it wasn't the standard cryptocurrency. It started shooting up and I was thinking, wow. I should have pulled the trigger (I don't beat myself up over stuff like that) You hit some, you miss some, you win some, and you always will lose some, but I pride myself on never being the speculative sucker at the table.

Anyhow, as it was shooting up I held off on buying it because I started to think. Okay, we know what Ripple is. How do you define it's actual value? To do that, you must understand what it does and what that's true value is.

Ripple is a facility to send anything of monetary value (cash, silver, gold, water) globally providing the two gateways *trust* each other and support the trading of the monetary item in question on either side. (ie, money in -> gold out is supported)

Ripples (what you're actually buying here) is actually used as a last resort. It is used only when the two gateways at hand do not actually have a trust relationship. So, gateway A) accepts Bob's $50 and converts them to ripples and transfers those ripples to gateway B) and gateway B) converts those ripples back to $50 cash to give to Jim.

So, I ask. What is individual ripples value derived from? If I have $50 and I want to send it to John in German. How many ripples does that take? (currently 43.47) Why does it take 43.47 ripples to be valued at $50. I mean, again. What is the value of a ripple derived from? Some Joe Schmoe purchasing a ripple at a specific price without the intent on actually transacting with someone overseas? Just to hold ownership of a ripple? We expect millions of people to buy ripple just to hold it? That serves no purpose, except for those wanting to use ripples to transfer monetary value from one place to another. That doesn't benefit the holder of ripple since the people using ripple to facilitate trading aren't providing value to the person that holds ripple isn't even in play of that transaction.

Say 1,000,000 buy 1,000 ripples and that drives the price to $1 each.

Bob and Jim trade $50 again. Gateway A) sends 50 ripples to gateway B) and Jim gets his money. The two gateways get a piece of the transaction fee, (ripple is like a Western Union of sort) but the other people who hold ripple get diddly swat. So, it's not even as if ripples where shares of the Ripple company and you get a piece of their earnings on those transactions. It isn't shares, and you're not getting any of those profits.

Instead of a million people buying a thousand shares, only 500,000 bought 500 shares and now Ripple is a $0.50 per. Now Bob and Jim trade $50 again. This time Gateway A) sends 100 ripples instead of 50 ripples to gateway B) and Jim then gets his money.

Either way it happen no matter what the price of ripples are providing they aren't zero. Ripples can be worth $0.0001 and that $50 transaction can still happen. So I ask. What is the value of a ripple to an investor? The only people who should care about the value of a ripple are those that buy and hold it. Those that use ripple for it's facility, it's 100% irrelevant. So, there are only two classes that would own ripple to hold it.

1. Gateways, because they must own ripple to facilitate the transaction.
  2. People who have no valid reason to actually own it as it serve them no purpose.
This is why I didn't end up purchasing ripples at $0.75 just prior to it's rise to almost $4 and them immediate fall back to $0.75. Now that's it's rising again. I smirk and think. Are gateways pulling the strings here? I mean, they are the ones to make the money if outsiders (people other than gateways) are buying ripples. Because if they buy ripples 5 million at $0.75 to support their business. Then a 10 million other people buy thousand ripples and boost the price to $4. You just turned their $3.75M into $20M which would make you their cash cow puppet.

Sure, you can speculate (again, GAMBLE), but most speculators / gamblers can win early on, but a massive majority end up losers over the long haul.

I will appreciate you finally talking about ripple as one of the potential exceptions.

I will say you don't understand how consensus works.

Take 30 minutes and watch the first half here where David Schwartz explains it

It isn't a gateway to gateway transaction like in your scenario. The gateway just connects to the network and puts your transaction out there for validation. The tons of validators worldwide then come to....consensus...on whether or not the transaction is valid.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I'm very excited about the future of my Vechain. The whole "partnering with BMW" rumors seem pretty neato.

Status
Not open for further replies.