Blake Jarwin gives the offense

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Blake Jarwin should be the TE #1, his pass protection and run blocking skills are just as good as Witten's. One thing Jarwin has that Witten will never be able to provide is explosive plays in the passing game, giving the offense another gear to convert in crucial downs.

How many times on 3rd down we see a pass underneath to Witten and the old man runs for 2 yards or always falling behind 1st down marker if he didn't drop the pass already.

Witten's job isn't explosive plays downfield, and Witten doesn't call the plays. He's a check down option which every QB needs.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Witten is a freaking albatross and is holding us back big time. Watch some other NFL teams. Watch Baltimore. Watch San Fran. Young fast strong men all over the league are wrecking shop at TE and we trot out that joke. Oh well as long as the boys club stays intact and Jerry gets his way I guess that is all that matter.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who drops 3/5 passes thrown to him, and never converts a crucial first down.

You can't make things and not get called on it. The worst dropped passes offender on the cowboys is Cobb with 6. Witten has 4. He also has a 74% catch rate which is second on the team.

School is out now.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
You can't make things and not get called on it. The worst dropped passes offender on the cowboys is Cobb with 6. Witten has 4. He also has a 74% catch rate which is second on the team.

School is out now.

Looks like you failed.
Cobb: 677 yds 3 TDs w/ 10 less reception
Witten: 455 yds 3 TDs You left-out constant false start penalties that killed drives on crucial downs.

jnday

Reaction score
Blake Jarwin should be the TE #1, his pass protection and run blocking skills are just as good as Witten's. One thing Jarwin has that Witten will never be able to provide is explosive plays in the passing game, giving the offense another gear to convert in crucial downs.

How many times on 3rd down we see a pass underneath to Witten and the old man runs for 2 yards or always falling behind 1st down marker if he didn't drop the pass already.

Yes, he was such a superstar when he started games last year that he was ultra-productive. Wait, that didn’t happen. He is a situational TE but nobody wants to accept that.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks like you failed.
Cobb: 677 yds 3 TDs w/ 10 less reception
Witten: 455 yds 3 TDs You left-out constant false start penalties that killed drives on crucial downs.

Irrelevent to the argument you made. Cobb leads the team in drops which was your beef with Witten. I'm guessing you have no idea what catch rate is so i'll open the school back up. It means Witten catches 74% of the passes thrown his way which is second on the team. Nobody is debating on YPC or total yards or TDs. So if you want to continue debating yourself, keep going.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I always call this the "Marion Barber Syndrome". They see a back flashing in limited duty and assume they will do the same thing as a starter. Fans assume MBIII would get a billion yards rushing as a starter when in reality he played much worse when he had to carry a full load.

That's a fair point (and I think we're seeing it right now on defense with Jourdan Lewis), but post-retirement Witt is a known quantity now. And it's not a good one.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If he gets his share of targets, as he did last week, what difference does the starter distinction make? Usage is the key, not simply snaps on the field. And no, he isn't as good a blocker as Witten, even with Witten not being as good a blocker as he once was.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jarwin is explosive like Kittles, with a real HC he can evolve his route running, blocking, and mechanics.

Sad that Garrett's vision of a TE has to be a clone of Witten.
you know that witten is older now, but he was a top 3 TE for years and is a sure HOFer...so not sure if that's a bad vision.....at this point everyone is just pouring hate on garrett for anything

quickccc

Reaction score
Jarwin is Tony Gonzalez. A receiver that releases from the line and can also split out.

Witten is a more traditional tight end.

I think they use them both well. I really don’t understand the complaints here. This is the one thing I think they do right.

LOL .. I understand your push for Jarwin, but comparing him to HOFer Tony G.? ... you really shouldn't go there like that.

Gonzalez was a complete TE, and not only had elite athleticism, agility and vertical jumps, but he had extraordinary body control, eye hand coordination,
sue hands, a unique knack for the passing game and run after catch skills..
And then add that to idea size/ length- and Tony was still a formidable in-line blocker...and whether KC or ATL , he shows up and was always a major factor in the red zone.
He simply was the complete a package a TE as there ever was in NFL history and played in the offenses and with QBs that best utilized his skills.

For all his career catch number, superb route skills, feel for pass game and lengthy pro bowl resume, Witten surprisingly had much lower career TD numbers than the likes of Tony G and Antonio Gates.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Time to move on, right now. Shultz n Jarwin should be getting more snaps than Jason "Catch n Fall" Witten.

quickccc

Reaction score
If he gets his share of targets, as he did last week, what difference does the starter distinction make? Usage is the key, not simply snaps on the field. And no, he isn't as good a blocker as Witten, even with Witten not being as good a blocker as he once was.

this is the best, closest explanation I'm hearing with Jarwin. It's obvious to me why coaches don't use Jarwin more,.... they simply don't care for his blocking, and seem to try to
get around it as as much as they can. which seems mean 20 snaps at best, but he has the mobility and movement to get downfield, especially in the deep middle seams.

He's not a blocker at all, his best is shielding his body to get in the way of a player's shadow. he's a buffed up big WR. far more H-back than a TE, and this type of coaching staff hasn't
come up with the proper reps, spot-play to include Jarwin's skill into the offense more.

but it's so clear that when Jarwin speed is presented .. it is so day and night jumps at you, when you see Witten churning and running in wet mud.
Its become so painful and agonizing to keep seeing Witten in the pass game. And we are leaving a lot of potential big plays and adjustments when Witten is in ..an Jarwin is out of the game.
And Witten in line blocking is very average to subpar as well.

It's a reason why we cannot run zeke to the outside edge as much as we'd like - the blocking TEs on this team is too mediocre.

quickccc

Reaction score
Jarwin is a good of a run blocker as Witten so even that point is mute.

Unfortunately No he's not.

What's more so, if Jarwin's blocking is so poor to where NO coaching staff can risk him being on the field a substantial amount of time, then he doesn't need to be on this team.
If this team wants the more traditional TE than a move-oriented buffed up H-back, then Jarwin seems an ill-fit here.

quickccc

Reaction score
I hate that this team has so many defensive holes and needs that will have to be addressed per NFL draft, and us not having an aggressive high dollar paying mode in FA, further
hurts this team

- Saints' Jared Cook was there for the taking in FA last offseason, but between our usual FA conservativeness, the anointed Witten announcing his sudden return from sudden retirement,
and the club being content on Jarwin and very seldom used 4th round panic-bust Dalton Schultz, we passed over a athletic, experienced pass catching TE that could have been
a big help to Dak vs watching the ancient Mummy lumber for his usual 5-6 yards

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this is the best, closest explanation I'm hearing with Jarwin. It's obvious to me why coaches don't use Jarwin more,.... they simply don't care for his blocking, and seem to try to
get around it as as much as they can. which seems mean 20 snaps at best, but he has the mobility and movement to get downfield, especially in the deep middle seams.

He's not a blocker at all, his best is shielding his body to get in the way of a player's shadow. he's a buffed up big WR. far more H-back than a TE, and this type of coaching staff hasn't
come up with the proper reps, spot-play to include Jarwin's skill into the offense more.

but it's so clear that when Jarwin speed is presented .. it is so day and night jumps at you, when you see Witten churning and running in wet mud.
Its become so painful and agonizing to keep seeing Witten in the pass game. And we are leaving a lot of potential big plays and adjustments when Witten is in ..an Jarwin is out of the game.
And Witten in line blocking is very average to subpar as well.

It's a reason why we cannot run zeke to the outside edge as much as we'd like - the blocking TEs on this team is too mediocre.
The reality is Witten is still very good at finding the holes in a defense and making catches that will contribute to drives, but Jarwin adds a different, big play element. They both have a place. I was glad to see Jarwin get an equal share of the TE targets this past week, although 14 targets to the TE's is probably too much. About 8-9 targets (4-5 apiece) is probably a better mix in moat games.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Ha, Philly knew what we had stashed in the potato bin, sprouting eyes by now, so, y'all can thank the fecals for forcing the hand of our "eye" for talent HEAD COACH,for at least it moved the #89 outta' the dark room of doom & unto the gameday playing field.o_O

( Playoffs are pointless at this juncture, feller's & we all know it):(