Blake Jarwin gives the offense

Dallasfann

Reaction score
this is the best, closest explanation I'm hearing with Jarwin. It's obvious to me why coaches don't use Jarwin more,.... they simply don't care for his blocking, and seem to try to
get around it as as much as they can. which seems mean 20 snaps at best, but he has the mobility and movement to get downfield, especially in the deep middle seams.

He's not a blocker at all, his best is shielding his body to get in the way of a player's shadow. he's a buffed up big WR. far more H-back than a TE, and this type of coaching staff hasn't
come up with the proper reps, spot-play to include Jarwin's skill into the offense more.

but it's so clear that when Jarwin speed is presented .. it is so day and night jumps at you, when you see Witten churning and running in wet mud.
Its become so painful and agonizing to keep seeing Witten in the pass game. And we are leaving a lot of potential big plays and adjustments when Witten is in ..an Jarwin is out of the game.
And Witten in line blocking is very average to subpar as well.

It's a reason why we cannot run zeke to the outside edge as much as we'd like - the blocking TEs on this team is too mediocre.

So everyone bashes the coaches at every chance they get at their total ineptness, but they know what they are doing not letting Jarwin play over Witten?

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Scandrick said it best - were running a 2001 offense in 2019.

quickccc

Reaction score
The reality is Witten is still very good at finding the holes in a defense and making catches that will contribute to drives, but Jarwin adds a different, big play element. They both have a place. I was glad to see Jarwin get an equal share of the TE targets this past week, although 14 targets to the TE's is probably too much. About 8-9 targets (4-5 apiece) is probably a better mix in moat games.

The reality is that’s all within the limitations of Witten. That’s all he can do. Finding holes in a soft zone, or knowing when to ad lib on the run to a busted coverage area.

But here’s the problem, if Dak spots and reads a coverage in a secondary that leaves a vulnerable deep middle seam wide open for an easy runaway TD , and wants to immediately audible and go to that.

He simply would not have that wide open option, because we have the utter slowest TE in the entire league. Witten wouldn’t be able to ad lib and run down that deep seam pass.
Those are plays that break game open for us, but those are also plays that we leave off the field and we don’t have that option to immediately hit and take advantage of because
of the severe limitations of a slow aging TE.

In all necessity, I’m pushing hard for this team to try to get both chain mover, one who affects the entire field and one that better contributes to the effectiveness of the run game.
And its’ really getting to me, every week seeing highlights of these athletic TEs maneuvering downfield and breaking away running from coverage, while we are so limited in a phone booth here in Dallas.
(sigh) :(

tico

Reaction score
you know that witten is older now, but he was a top 3 TE for years and is a sure HOFer...so not sure if that's a bad vision.....at this point everyone is just pouring hate on garrett for anything
Yes I know what he "WAS".. Championships aren't won with what you DID, its won with NOW!
Emmitt got the boot from Parcells, the Pat's hold no feelings towards the past. GARRET is a kiss *** & starts his boys over starting talent

Blue64

Reaction score
Nothing...

sorry you forgot to end your sentence so I did it for you...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yes I know what he "WAS".. Championships aren't won with what you DID, its won with NOW!
Emmitt got the boot from Parcells, the Pat's hold no feelings towards the past. GARRET is a kiss *** & starts his boys over starting talent
perhaps your initial response was confusing. you said, sad that the vision of a TE for garrett has to be Witten....my comments was that's a good vision. he is a HOFer….is witten what he was....no, not close. but if you can model a TE, Witten is not a bad choice....

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Jarwin can't block in line. Can't block in the open field. But is a better receiver than Witten at this point. Not sure I understand everyone's complaints about Witten. Witten definitely plays much stronger.

Witten has been sucking at blocking this year also. So that thing that Jarwin can't block is not necessarily true and should also be applied to Witten as well.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully Witten goes with Garrett. Enough already.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Remember when Witten came out of retirement and the plan was to use him for just 20-25 snaps per game?

Yeah. Should have stuck with that. Jarwin is what tight ends in the NFL are supposed to be today. To put him on the bench for sentimental reasons is borderline criminal. I'm a Witten fan, too, but at some point you have to leave the past behind.

tico

Reaction score
perhaps your initial response was confusing. you said, sad that the vision of a TE for garrett has to be Witten....my comments was that's a good vision. he is a HOFer….is witten what he was....no, not close. but if you can model a TE, Witten is not a bad choice....
My point I was trying to make is, basically its hard to find a TE that can block like him, catch, and run routes. Which is rare to be honest, so Garrett doesn't give nobody a chance. In fact he has wasted talent here, instead of using that TEs skill set to the playcalling. Witten is a HOF no doubt and is sad his career was wasted without a Ring. But Jarwin is explosive and can help us if given a chance.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
My point I was trying to make is, basically its hard to find a TE that can block like him, catch, and run routes. Which is rare to be honest, so Garrett doesn't give nobody a chance. In fact he has wasted talent here, instead of using that TEs skill set to the playcalling. Witten is a HOF no doubt and is sad his career was wasted without a Ring. But Jarwin is explosive and can help us if given a chance.
its nto about garrett not giving him a chance. its that the offensive scheme needs someone with those abilities. should the offensive scheme change? yes. we all discuss that ad nauseum. but at this point Jarwin is not a good blocker. and although everyone is touting Jarwin and his big play ability. his biggest 3 plays have come against Giants...and he did the same last year. not sure why, but he seems to have their number. by the same token, Witten seems to struggle against giants...comparing other games Jarwin is a JAG....and he also benefits to play against lesser players, since he is not the main target or main player in the scheme. as a starter, he will be negated by other teams defensive scheme....should we include more plays for Jarwin? yes, again that's a scheme issue, but I bet if he starts over Witten, you will see a drop in his efficiency....they will defintley plan and neutralize him