Bland has definitely been coached up

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
Nothing all that special in college. Glad McFlay had the fortitude to get him in the 5th round. He's playing much better than in college against much better talent.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t coach a player from nothing to pro bowl. Bland went to a small school and was apparently under evaluated. Glad we pulled the trigger on a winner bc we usually get nothing on day 3 of drafts.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
You can’t coach a player from nothing to pro bowl. Bland went to a small school and was apparently under evaluated. Glad we pulled the trigger on a winner bc we usually get nothing on day 3 of drafts.
This is where I start questioning reality and the story line behind my existence and reality...

So...this kid is a baller. Been around tons of other kids and grown men coaching...word spreads supposedly. Kid got to college and non of these grown men coaches talked to other grown men at other schools about a stud on their team? No NFL scouts asked any of these grown men about stud kids? Few words got up to these NFL scouts who specialize in evaluations about Bland? Seems odd to me.

CB position seems a bit different than QB where a no name can come in a tear it up like Brady. QB is harder position...but CB is a different position altogether that is difficult where athleticism, football IQ, fundamentals are a must...you just have to have them...there is no getting by without all 3. If Bland had those...how does word not rise to the top? Especially if youre a willing and good tackler as well.

All seems odd to me. Really odd. You can claim he was listed as under sized....but if he met the athleticism, football IQ, fundamentals, willing tackler and has good hands...how do coaching trees not know of this kid or why are NFL scouts not listening?

Bland simply didnt perform well or measure out right at combines or workouts? I dont know if I believe all that.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is where I start questioning reality and the story line behind my existence and reality...

So...this kid is a baller. Been around tons of other kids and grown men coaching...word spreads supposedly. Kid got to college and non of these grown men coaches talked to other grown men at other schools about a stud on their team? No NFL scouts asked any of these grown men about stud kids? Few words got up to these NFL scouts who specialize in evaluations about Bland? Seems odd to me.

CB position seems a bit different than QB where a no name can come in a tear it up like Brady. QB is harder position...but CB is a different position altogether that is difficult where athleticism, football IQ, fundamentals are a must...you just have to have them...there is no getting by without all 3. If Bland had those...how does word not rise to the top? Especially if youre a willing and good tackler as well.

All seems odd to me. Really odd. You can claim he was listed as under sized....but if he met the athleticism, football IQ, fundamentals, willing tackler and has good hands...how do coaching trees not know of this kid or why are NFL scouts not listening?

Bland simply didnt perform well or measure out right at combines or workouts? I dont know if I believe all that.
He was obviously a late bloomer. Bland was a no star recruit in high school who on to play 3 years at Sacramento state before getting the division 1 call up to Fresno State where he played his final year. He just wasn’t on many radars and certainly didn’t have the pedigree.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes you can. You can have the tools, but you need to know how to use them as well as where and when. Proper technique, hip and foot placements don't come naturally.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Bland has been more than good since he's been in Dallas. Imagine if we had Diggs and weren't covering for Lewis being a step slow....

stilltheguru

Reaction score

Richard Sherman was a 5th rounder. It happens.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
No doubt that most of it is Bland being a baller, but it's also a win for the Cowboys evaluation process.

The Cowboys probably "found" Bland by filtering down an Excel table. DQ seems to have pretty strict physical minimums for CBs, prioritizing length in particular. Throughout his time in Seattle, Atlanta, and Dallas, I don't think he's ever drafted a CB with arms under 32" long.

Bland is 6'1" and has 32 3/4" arms, which are both uncommonly good. Add in a 4.46 40 time, and that's enough to break out the game tape.

@atlantacowboy explained Bland's past... he's a late bloomer who only played one year in D-1, so there wasn't a lot of film to go off. He was a traits-over-tape pick, but DQ and McClay believe in their process enough to sieve for guys like that in the late rounds. Eric Scott is this year's bet.

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Apparently, he had some talent and measurables. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been on anyone's radar much more the Cowboys'.

I think the issue here is all programs aren't equal.

My son played college football but didn't have NFL size. He said our high school program (coaching, nutrition, weights, practice and conditioning, etc.) was better than his college's football program.

Not every player benefits from USC, Notre Dame, Georgia, Alabama etc. football programs. Some need the same resources, coaching and opportunities to reach their potential. I think this was the case with Bland.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Richard Sherman was a 5th rounder. It happens.
But there is always a reason and it’s not always a failure of process. Sherman was a big CB with 4.6 speed. At the time, he did not fit the mold of an. NFL cb. Pete Carrol was bit ahead of his time putting Sherman out there and just letting him play. He fit the zone coverage scheme Carrol liked to a tee , otherwise it’s not clear Sherman would have even made a career in the NFL. His draft eval on nfl.com calls him a developmental player and didnt even give him a predraft grade.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apparently, he had some talent and measurables. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been on anyone's radar much more the Cowboys'.

I think the issue here is all programs aren't equal.

My son played college football but didn't have NFL size. He said our high school program (coaching, nutrition, weights, practice and conditioning, etc.) was better than his college's football program.

Not every player benefits from USC, Notre Dame, Georgia, Alabama etc. football programs. Some need the same resources, coaching and opportunities to reach their potential. I think this was the case with Bland.
Well, obviously he had talent. He ran track in college and played well in his year at Fresno State. But that’s not the same as playing well at Texas or Georgia.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing all that special in college. Glad McFlay had the fortitude to get him in the 5th round. He's playing much better than in college against much better talent.
Great post! I was thinking something similar but maybe a different angle. I was thinking that Bland has clearly put in that work to find his best. He can’t be this good without a ton of film work, technique, and taking guidance from his coaches.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
But there is always a reason and it’s not always a failure of process. Sherman was a big CB with 4.6 speed. At the time, he did not fit the mold of an. NFL cb. Pete Carrol was bit ahead of his time putting Sherman out there and just letting him play. He fit the zone coverage scheme Carrol liked to a tee , otherwise it’s not clear Sherman would have even made a career in the NFL. His draft eval on nfl.com calls him a developmental player and didnt even give him a predraft grade.
Might have to do with his personality. How many good corners act like bland? He seems like an outlier