Bland has definitely been coached up

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes you can. You can have the tools, but you need to know how to use them as well as where and when. Proper technique, hip and foot placements don't come naturally.
I agree and I think its also a commentary on the work he’s putting in himself.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It is very difficult to evaluate what is in a prospect’s head and heart. Most of what makes Bland so special is between his ears.

Being a zero star recruit in HS and going to a small college, scouts just couldn’t know. When he got to Dallas he was immediately good, and that has much to do with his football IQ, work ethic, and a demeanor that is perfect for an NFL Corner. He’s a very quick thinker, which all the great one’s are. He processes extremely fast. That can be the difference between OK and all-pro.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It is very difficult to evaluate what is in a prospect’s head and heart. Most of what makes Bland so special is between his ears.

Being a zero star recruit in HS and going to a small college, scouts just couldn’t know. When he got to Dallas he was immediately good, and that has much to do with his football IQ, work ethic, and a demeanor that is perfect for an NFL Corner. He’s a very quick thinker, which all the great one’s are. He processes extremely fast. That can be the difference between OK and all-pro.
He seems like your prototypical "quiet guy." Never let on what was in his head. Glad we noticed something. What a find.

CWR

Reaction score
This is where I start questioning reality and the story line behind my existence and reality...

So...this kid is a baller. Been around tons of other kids and grown men coaching...word spreads supposedly. Kid got to college and non of these grown men coaches talked to other grown men at other schools about a stud on their team? No NFL scouts asked any of these grown men about stud kids? Few words got up to these NFL scouts who specialize in evaluations about Bland? Seems odd to me.

CB position seems a bit different than QB where a no name can come in a tear it up like Brady. QB is harder position...but CB is a different position altogether that is difficult where athleticism, football IQ, fundamentals are a must...you just have to have them...there is no getting by without all 3. If Bland had those...how does word not rise to the top? Especially if youre a willing and good tackler as well.

All seems odd to me. Really odd. You can claim he was listed as under sized....but if he met the athleticism, football IQ, fundamentals, willing tackler and has good hands...how do coaching trees not know of this kid or why are NFL scouts not listening?

Bland simply didnt perform well or measure out right at combines or workouts? I dont know if I believe all that.

Because every kid entering the draft is a baller.

Bland got overlooked because many of the prospects ahead of him played at bigger schools against stronger competition, more exposure etc.

You also have to factor in how difficult it is to project improvement. Some of these guys come in maxed out and some become exponentially better.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
If I recall correctly Bland was a junior college player that only spent one season at Fresno State. Scouts saw he had all the physical tools but didn't have enough film on him against "quality" opponents to make him a high draft pick.

To put it simply, the Cowboys struck fifth round gold and Bland is a star.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Here's the summary of his draft profile.......
Outside cornerback with long arms and good speed. Bland is able to mirror on a vertical plane and use his length to disrupt catches. He has stiff hips and lacks desired short-area agility and explosiveness to consistently succeed in man coverage. Bland projects as a developmental cornerback in a scheme that asks him to cover deep thirds and quarters frequently. With improved tackling, he should be a solid special teamer with the potential to be a solid backup or low-level starter.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/daronbland

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Here's the summary of his draft profile.......
Outside cornerback with long arms and good speed. Bland is able to mirror on a vertical plane and use his length to disrupt catches. He has stiff hips and lacks desired short-area agility and explosiveness to consistently succeed in man coverage. Bland projects as a developmental cornerback in a scheme that asks him to cover deep thirds and quarters frequently. With improved tackling, he should be a solid special teamer with the potential to be a solid backup or low-level starter.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/daronbland
I guess I dont know how often Dallas uses man coverage if thats what scouts are saying he wasnt good at.

His desire to tackle is there and seems fine at it. And he is definitely not a low-level starter anymore.

Was he not nickel before being moved to corner or did Dallas put him at nickel. I thought nickel you had to have fluid hips and is a tough position to play due to open field and WR's being able to change directions in open field as opposed to outside corners being able to use sideline for help?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I guess I dont know how often Dallas uses man coverage if thats what scouts are saying he wasnt good at.

His desire to tackle is there and seems fine at it. And he is definitely not a low-level starter anymore.

Was he not nickel before being moved to corner or did Dallas put him at nickel. I thought nickel you had to have fluid hips and is a tough position to play due to open field and WR's being able to change directions in open field as opposed to outside corners being able to use sideline for help?
Either they coached the hell out of him, or he was considerably better than his scouting report, maybe a combination of both. We play a lot of man and he appears to have plenty of that short area agility and explosiveness. Just shows you gotta take these scouting reports with a grain of salt.

I really wanted Tariq Woolen out of UTSA, but he got snatched by Seattle early in the 5th rd. a few picks before Bland. He was another WR converted into CB in college, 6'4" and 4.26 40, showed great instincts while still learning the position. He got 6 INTs last season and has 8 overall.

Needless to say, I'm not disappointed anymore on missing out on Woolen with DaRon breaking out. :)