bledsoe next season?

nicodywill

Reaction score
any thoughts on where or what drew will be doing when next season rolls around just wonderin' i don't think he's gonna stay and be romo's backup that's all. thoughts anyone

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
nicodywill;1250495 said:
any thoughts on where or what drew will be doing when next season rolls around just wonderin' i don't think he's gonna stay and be romo's backup that's all. thoughts anyone

Dancing With The Stars :fogeys:

Aikbach

Reaction score
CowboyJeff;1250506 said:
Heaven's no, his footwork is far too awkward, although he could probably keep a solid rhythm by tapping his partner so much.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
Aikbach;1250511 said:
Heaven's no, his footwork is far too awkward, although he could probably keep a solid rhythm by tapping his partner so much.

Drew would be the Jerry Springer of the show. ;)

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I understand he has another job lined up...in fact I believe this picture shows him at work

92604%20hobson%20nine%20face%20with%20cows%20far.jpg

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Bledsoe still thinks that he can be a starter in this league and wants to go to a team that will give him an opportunity to start. Not sure who that would be though, Detroit maybe.

Bryan8284

Reaction score
Detroit would be wise to hang on to Kitna over Bledsoe.

Oakland? Davis kind of idea, but his OL won't help out
Cleveland? Doubt it with Frye and Anderson

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
CowboyJeff;1250506 said:

He'd never make it on there. You have to be coordinated to be on that show. Now if there were a show called Patting With The Stars he would be a shoe in.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nicodywill;1250495 said:

I expect he will retire. However should a team be in need of a QB while allowing their young QB time to develope Bledsoe could find himself playing next season.

rynochop

Reaction score
What's the cap situation here with his release?

ANy impact/savings?? Or is this the last year of his deal?

KingTuna

Reaction score
nicodywill;1250495 said:

That's a great question. I think John Clayton of ESPN said it best that "there will be teams pursuing Drew Bledsoe in the off-season".

Now trying to guess which ones is the fun/hard part. Below is my list of POSSIBLE teams he could be starting for next season:

Texans
Lions
Browns
Raiders
Buccaneers
Packers
Vikings
Ravens (Is Mcnair coming back?? Who knows!)
Bears (The Bears QB situation is far from settled despite their record. Bledsoe could easily step in as the starter for a couple of seasons. With their O-line and defense that could be a huge success.)

There will probably 1 or 2 teams out there that come from no where to enter the picture. Usually always some surprise team. One thing for certain is that there will be a GM (if not several) who will look at Drew Bledsoe who will just turn 35 in February (not 38 like Brad Johnson or 37 like Trent Green) and see that he had almost this entire season off which makes his arm even younger in terms of "games played" and will look at his accomplishments (see a portion below) and say, Let's bring him in as the starter for 2 years while we groom a young QB behind him.

The first order of business will be shoring up the O-line of whatever team that turns out to be. I hope that whoever it is learns from the mistake Parcells made of not providing Drew the kind of talent needed for him to succeed on the O-line.

Bledsoe's weaknesses are as well documented as his strengths. OF course he is a pocket passer with little mobility and is not going anywhere in the pocket. You know where he will be. He's ALWAYS been that style of QB and always will be. That being said, you cannot put and average NFL o-line in front of him and expect to succeed. The GM of his next team BETTER understand this and focus the off-season on putting together a SOLID O-line for Bledsoe. IF that is in place, Bledsoe will thrive and pick apart defenses like he's done his entire career when having protection.

Bledsoe's arm strength, accuracy and leadership have never been argued or in question. Those remain his selling points and those points remain the reason that Drew will be starting for a new team in 2007.

Drew Bledsoe:

All time Stats In NFL History:

5th all time in completions in NFL History--(3,389)
5th all time in attempts in NFL History--(6,717)
7th all time in passing yardage in NFL History--(44,611)
13th all time in passing touchdowns in NFL history--(251)

NFL Records:

Most passes thrown in a singe game (70)
Most passes completed in a singe game (45)
Most completed TD passes in overtime (Took Terry Bradshaw's spot)
Youngest player to throw for 10,000 yards in his career (Took Marino's spot)
Youngest QB to ever play in a Pro Bowl
Holds 12 all time franchise passing records for the Buffalo Bills
All time leading passer in New England Patriots History

Assorted accomplishments:

60% winning percentage in the NFL post-season
Undefeated in Championship Games (2-0 in 1996 & 2001 AFC Championship games)
Inducted into the Washington State University Hall Of Fame
Inducted into the World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame
Recipient of the NFL Alumni Spirit Award
Recipient of the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award
Recipient of the Ed Block Courage award
Recipient of the Henry P. Iba Citizen Athlete Award
Served as International Chairman of the Children’s Miracle Network
Established the Drew Bledsoe Foundation to assist parents in raising their children through curriculum based programs in schools, prisons, alternative schools, community and youth organizations around the country. Nearly 2 million American families (and counting) have been reached

aikemirv

Reaction score
None of these teams are patient enough to groom young QB's anymore. There is too much pressure to win or at least lose with the young guy rather than the old guy.

I will be shocked if Bledsoe gets a starting position next year unless it is the plan to start him for 5-7 weeks until a first round choice is somewhat up to speed.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I just can't see the Packers letting go of Favre and then picking up Bledsoe. I think someone would get run out of town if that happened. Why replace an old QB with another old QB?

The Texans won't want Bledsoe. He doesn't fit their system. Kubiak likes his QBs to be able to move. Roll outs and boot legs.

I can't see any team really being interested in him as a starter. The one exception may be the Raiders, but that will go away if they are able to draft Brady Quinn. There will be teams interested in him as a trusted veteran back up, but not as the starter. Teams that need starters will be looking for young guys to emerge in their rebuilding process.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss;1250678 said:
I just can't see the Packers letting go of Favre and then picking up Bledsoe. I think someone would get run out of town if that happened. Why replace an old QB with another old QB?

The Texans won't want Bledsoe. He doesn't fit their system. Kubiak likes his QBs to be able to move. Roll outs and boot legs.

I can't see any team really being interested in him as a starter. The one exception may be the Raiders, but that will go away if they are able to draft Brady Quinn. There will be teams interested in him as a trusted veteran back up, but not as the starter. Teams that need starters will be looking for young guys to emerge in their rebuilding process.

Raiders could be a team even if they do get Quinn unless the Raiders were to just throw him out there from the get go. Should they want him to sit his rookie season then a guy like Bledsoe could be possible.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Personally, I think he will hang 'em up. The worst thing that could happen to him would be a 4th benching in favor of a young QB of the future.

Brady
Losman
Romo

Hard legacy to live down.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1250684 said:
Raiders could be a team even if they do get Quinn unless the Raiders were to just throw him out there from the get go. Should they want him to sit his rookie season then a guy like Bledsoe could be possible.

It is a possiblity. They could also just keep either Brooks or Walters around to man the position until Quinn is ready.

I could see the Raiders signing Chris Simms. He suits their image better. A cast off, beaten down QB. Plus he is a lefty. :D

Nothing would surprise me with the Raiders, but if I had to bet I would say that Bledsoe is not starting in the NFL next season unless someone gets injured.

sago1

Reaction score
While I'm sure that there is a team out there who will offer him a starter job, he said in preseason that the Cowboys would be his last job. At the time I'm sure he couldn't imagine he lose his job to Romo. Frankly I think he's lost some of his accuracy (how else to explain missing wide open receives against the better teams (Jags & Eagles). Maybe a better OL then we had would help him regain his confidence and his accuracy would improve, but I doubt that.