bledsoe next season?

Reaction score
Bleu Star;1250580 said:
He'd never make it on there. You have to be coordinated to be on that show. Now if there were a show called Patting With The Stars he would be a shoe in.

What about that new show "Statue of the Stars"

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
He hangs them up probably, but man I think he was a great cowboy, he stood tall in the pocket, I'm just sorry how it ended, but he has been classy about it at least in public, its not an easy thing to do for someone to take your job, trust me been there myself...

sjordan6

Reaction score
KingTuna;1250667 said:
That's a great question. I think John Clayton of ESPN said it best that "there will be teams pursuing Drew Bledsoe in the off-season".

Now trying to guess which ones is the fun/hard part. Below is my list of POSSIBLE teams he could be starting for next season:

Texans
Lions
Browns
Raiders
Buccaneers
Packers
Vikings
Ravens (Is Mcnair coming back?? Who knows!)
Bears (The Bears QB situation is far from settled despite their record. Bledsoe could easily step in as the starter for a couple of seasons. With their O-line and defense that could be a huge success.)

There will probably 1 or 2 teams out there that come from no where to enter the picture. Usually always some surprise team. One thing for certain is that there will be a GM (if not several) who will look at Drew Bledsoe who will just turn 35 in February (not 38 like Brad Johnson or 37 like Trent Green) and see that he had almost this entire season off which makes his arm even younger in terms of "games played" and will look at his accomplishments (see a portion below) and say, Let's bring him in as the starter for 2 years while we groom a young QB behind him.

The first order of business will be shoring up the O-line of whatever team that turns out to be. I hope that whoever it is learns from the mistake Parcells made of not providing Drew the kind of talent needed for him to succeed on the O-line.

Bledsoe's weaknesses are as well documented as his strengths. OF course he is a pocket passer with little mobility and is not going anywhere in the pocket. You know where he will be. He's ALWAYS been that style of QB and always will be. That being said, you cannot put and average NFL o-line in front of him and expect to succeed. The GM of his next team BETTER understand this and focus the off-season on putting together a SOLID O-line for Bledsoe. IF that is in place, Bledsoe will thrive and pick apart defenses like he's done his entire career when having protection.

Bledsoe's arm strength, accuracy and leadership have never been argued or in question. se Thoremain his selling points and those points remain the reason that Drew will be starting for a new team in 2007.

Drew Bledsoe:

All time Stats In NFL History:

5th all time in completions in NFL History--(3,389)
5th all time in attempts in NFL History--(6,717)
7th all time in passing yardage in NFL History--(44,611)
13th all time in passing touchdowns in NFL history--(251)

NFL Records:

Most passes thrown in a singe game (70)
Most passes completed in a singe game (45)
Most completed TD passes in overtime (Took Terry Bradshaw's spot)
Youngest player to throw for 10,000 yards in his career (Took Marino's spot)
Youngest QB to ever play in a Pro Bowl
Holds 12 all time franchise passing records for the Buffalo Bills
All time leading passer in New England Patriots History

Assorted accomplishments:

60% winning percentage in the NFL post-season
Undefeated in Championship Games (2-0 in 1996 & 2001 AFC Championship games)
Inducted into the Washington State University Hall Of Fame
Inducted into the World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame
Recipient of the NFL Alumni Spirit Award
Recipient of the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award
Recipient of the Ed Block Courage award
Recipient of the Henry P. Iba Citizen Athlete Award
Served as International Chairman of the Children’s Miracle Network
Established the Drew Bledsoe Foundation to assist parents in raising their children through curriculum based programs in schools, prisons, alternative schools, community and youth organizations around the country. Nearly 2 million American families (and counting) have been reached

Bledoe need to have you as his agent because you are selling him big time. The fact is that there will not be many suitors who will give a 35 year old QB an opportunity to come in and start. The Raiders may do it because they will have a high pick and will need a veteren to lead until the new QB is ready. Same thing with Cleveland. But there will be a few young free agents like Simms and possibly David Carr so it is not guaranteed that will be open.

Now this thing about Parcels not surrounding him with talent. Bledsoe had the most talent around him he has ever had in his career. I will give you that the line is not the best in the league but its not chop liver either! It is serviceable enough for an undrafted FA to make the PRO BOWL with and have two 1000 yard reveivers and 1000 yard rusher. Bledose had the same team and players available and to blame it on his line is crazy.

No the problem with bledoe and ALWAYS has been with bledsoe is his decision making in the pocket. That's why he was benched and replaced because he was know for throwing bad interceptions.

IF a coach or GM wants to take a chance on Bledsoe thats fine but teams all have film on how to defense him and it will be pretty lame for a team to ignore his shortcomings. HE has some positives but his negatives out way them. He is a great guy and will give you the leadership and all that other good guy stuff. Its the on the field players that will do him in.

I think Bledsoe hangs them up and becomes a commentor for the NFL Network. They could use a good back-up!

Aikbach

Reaction score
Hostile;1250689 said:
Personally, I think he will hang 'em up. The worst thing that could happen to him would be a 4th benching in favor of a young QB of the future.

Brady
Losman
Romo

Hard legacy to live down.
His career is very comparable to Craig Morton except his stats look like Marino's.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Hostile;1250689 said:
Personally, I think he will hang 'em up. The worst thing that could happen to him would be a 4th benching in favor of a young QB of the future.

Brady
Losman
Romo

I heard he is going to host a new reality show, I've been Wally Pipped !

Aikbach

Reaction score
Jarv;1250844 said:
I heard he is going to host a new reality show, I've been Wally Pipped !
I thought he was going to join the View to counter Rosie O'Donnell.

joseephuss

Reaction score
KingTuna;1250667 said:

Bledsoe's arm strength, accuracy and leadership have never been argued or in question. Those remain his selling points and those points remain the reason that Drew will be starting for a new team in 2007.

Arm strength is very good.

Accuracy is not. He only has 4 seasons above 60% completion percentage with a high of 61.5% in 2002. His career completion percentage is 57.2%. Considering he averages only 6.6 yards per attempt and 11.6 yards per completion, that is not a very good completion percentage for the era he played in.

Leadership? I haven't really heard anything negative about Bledsoe and I also haven't heard anything positive about the guy. I don't recall him being promoted as a strong leader. I don't think it will be a strong selling point for him. It won't hurt him, but it is pretty much a non-factor unless a team is looking for a strong leader.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Ummm... He doesn't have the leadership quality, texting T.O. in the offseason doesn't count. He doesn't have confidence when hes in the huddle, he looks scared everytime he drops back. These are things you can't measure, hence the reason our undrafted QB is going to Hawaii.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
king tuna said:
The first order of business will be shoring up the O-line of whatever team that turns out to be. I hope that whoever it is learns from the mistake Parcells made of not providing Drew the kind of talent needed for him to succeed on the O-line.
----

i said this all along and was ripped each time i said it. now in retrospect, i was right, parcells didn't build that line.

after watching drew play, NO ONE can build that line.

but it's good to see bledsoe's publicist make an appearance and keep the faith alive for a player who's best days are far far behind him.

joseephuss

Reaction score
iceberg;1251005 said:
king tuna said:
----

i said this all along and was ripped each time i said it. now in retrospect, i was right, parcells didn't build that line.

after watching drew play, NO ONE can build that line.

but it's good to see TO's publicist make an appearance and keep the faith alive for a player who's best days are far far behind him.

And even those best days aren't as great as some seem to think.

kartr

Reaction score
nicodywill;1250495 said:
any thoughts on where or what drew will be doing when next season rolls around just wonderin' i don't think he's gonna stay and be romo's backup that's all. thoughts anyone

I hope he is anywhere but Dallas.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
I really think he'll retire. If he doesn't, this is where I see him going:

*A place that is a Super Bowl contender
*A place that has a QB worse than Bledsoe

He might check out Chicago...?

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Hostile;1250689 said:

Brady
Losman
Romo

If he plays anywhere I hope it is for the skins, giants or eagles

sjordan6

Reaction score
There is really no place for Bledsoe to play. If he stays true to his "Im not going to be a back-up" slogan then he is definitely retiring. There will be about three or four potential FA qbs who have more ability than Bledsoe, including David Carr, Chris Simms, Matt Schaub (ATL), Jake Plummer, and maybe three potentially first round picks qb picks.

It is so true when they say that his best days are behind him and who is to say they were all that good. Bledsoe had the best situation right here and proved that he didnt have it anymore. A potentially 1800 running game. Two legitimate Pro Bowl receivers. Pro Bowl TE and a decent (not great but decent) offensive line.

Bledsoe struggles had to do with bad decisions, not very accurate throws, holding the ball too long,untimely ints, and taking too many sacks.

I dont think there would be a GM in the league that will take a chance on Bledsoe after this season. Yes he can still throw the ball and he is still better than alot of qbs playing today. He is better than a Grossman or Harrington or Frye or Aaron Brooks or even Delhomm with the way he's being playing but the case file on Bledsoe has been read by every coordinator in the league and it would be hard-pressed for any GM to promise Bledsoe a starting position next season.

He may get an opportunity to go in and compete and win the job but he doesnt have a history like he had with Parcells with any other coach, ( except the other two that actually benched him). Naw, I think Bledsoe takes his millions and rides in the sunset.

Anything else is setting himself up for more embarrassment.

KingTuna

Reaction score
DragonCowboy;1251136 said:
I really think he'll retire. If he doesn't, this is where I see him going:

*A place that is a Super Bowl contender
*A place that has a QB worse than Bledsoe

He might check out Chicago...?

Chicago would be the ideal spot for Bledsoe next year.

stag hunter

Hater
Reaction score
KingTuna;1250667 said:
That's a great question. I think John Clayton of ESPN said it best that "there will be teams pursuing Drew Bledsoe in the off-season".

Now trying to guess which ones is the fun/hard part. Below is my list of POSSIBLE teams he could be starting for next season:

Texans
Lions
Browns
Raiders
Buccaneers
Packers
Vikings
Ravens (Is Mcnair coming back?? Who knows!)
Bears (The Bears QB situation is far from settled despite their record. Bledsoe could easily step in as the starter for a couple of seasons. With their O-line and defense that could be a huge success.)

There will probably 1 or 2 teams out there that come from no where to enter the picture. Usually always some surprise team. One thing for certain is that there will be a GM (if not several) who will look at Drew Bledsoe who will just turn 35 in February (not 38 like Brad Johnson or 37 like Trent Green) and see that he had almost this entire season off which makes his arm even younger in terms of "games played" and will look at his accomplishments (see a portion below) and say, Let's bring him in as the starter for 2 years while we groom a young QB behind him.

Bledsoe's weaknesses are as well documented as his strengths. OF course he is a pocket passer with little mobility and is not going anywhere in the pocket. You know where he will be. He's ALWAYS been that style of QB and always will be. That being said, you cannot put and average NFL o-line in front of him and expect to succeed. The GM of his next team BETTER understand this and focus the off-season on putting together a SOLID O-line for Bledsoe. IF that is in place, Bledsoe will thrive and pick apart defenses like he's done his entire career when having protection.

Bledsoe's arm strength, accuracy and leadership have never been argued or in question. Those remain his selling points and those points remain the reason that Drew will be starting for a new team in 2007.

Drew Bledsoe:

All time Stats In NFL History:

5th all time in completions in NFL History--(3,389)
5th all time in attempts in NFL History--(6,717)
7th all time in passing yardage in NFL History--(44,611)
13th all time in passing touchdowns in NFL history--(251)

NFL Records:

Most passes thrown in a singe game (70)
Most passes completed in a singe game (45)
Most completed TD passes in overtime (Took Terry Bradshaw's spot)
Youngest player to throw for 10,000 yards in his career (Took Marino's spot)
Youngest QB to ever play in a Pro Bowl
Holds 12 all time franchise passing records for the Buffalo Bills
All time leading passer in New England Patriots History

Assorted accomplishments:

60% winning percentage in the NFL post-season
Undefeated in Championship Games (2-0 in 1996 & 2001 AFC Championship games)
Inducted into the Washington State University Hall Of Fame
Inducted into the World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame
Recipient of the NFL Alumni Spirit Award
Recipient of the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award
Recipient of the Ed Block Courage award
Recipient of the Henry P. Iba Citizen Athlete Award
Served as International Chairman of the Children’s Miracle Network
Established the Drew Bledsoe Foundation to assist parents in raising their children through curriculum based programs in schools, prisons, alternative schools, community and youth organizations around the country. Nearly 2 million American families (and counting) have been reached

2007 NFC Championship Game: Bledsoe & the Bears vs Romo & the Boys... that would be crazy

KingTuna

Reaction score
stag hunter;1251327 said:
2007 NFC Championship Game: Bledsoe & the Bears vs Romo & the Boys... that would be crazy

That could actually happen if Bledsoe goes to Chicago.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
stag hunter;1251327 said:

if bledsoe could take a team to the post season, he'd still be starting for us.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Zaxor;1251164 said:
If he plays anywhere I hope it is for the skins, giants or eagles
5 bucks says this is because you want to pad our sack stats with 2 games a year.

StarAmongStars

Reaction score
I'll never understand the Bledsoe hate.....he's been benched for Romo and we are on our way to the playoffs, and Romo is on his way to the probowl...so what exactly is the problem with the guy? Just because he feels he's still a starter and doesn't want to be relegated to a back up he's public enemy number one?

We had a great season with him last year, and I'm sure he would have done just fine if he had stayed the starter this year despite the slow start.

Personally, I hope he goes to another team next year and has success and shows he's still a capable starter for a few more years.