Twitter: Bob Sturm has hunch Dak is signed by Thursday at 8:30 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigE79

Reaction score
I love the people that want a full blown rebuild after a win now coaching hire.....along with a front office that has never won crap while they were in charge.

I'm not at all confident the Dak/MM combo is a winner, but you've got to try before blowing it up.

People assume blowing it up makes it better in 2-3 years like teams that hire real football people.
Real question,What if dak is not the qb that MM really wants but is forced upon him by jerry,sort of like haskins and rivera or rg3 and shanny...not saying that's what going on but what if it was? What should happen?

Turk

Reaction score
You asked how the defense would be addressed. As for Dak the same people who are complaining about 40 mill many are the same who complained of a deal at 35 mill. Fact is the market value goes up but guess what so does the cap. Dak contract within 2 years will not be out of line with what the market value is at QB. With TV contracts that cap will increase. At the end of this past season the assumption was this years cap would be 175 million and now that has been increased to 180 million. The notion that Dak contract will prevent Dallas from doing anything is BS but it tends to come from those who do not want Dak regardless.
You are whistling past the graveyard as regards the Cap. ALL this talk about huge money coming is absolutely contraindicated by everything else going on.

Motorola

Reaction score
Is there some pressure to have the deal done by Thursday or is even the media tiring of the uncertainty?
I could start every Monday saying “it’s happening this week” and I’ll be right once. Just sayin
Some reporter said it would happen over the weekend. Seems these guys are more hopeful than know a damn thing.
I recall in a thread last month a CZ member posted that the deal would be finalized Super Bowl weekend because Jones would want to make a big splash just before the game.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Inside Jerry's head....

If I drag out the Prescott negotiations I can remain in the news (interesting and relevant) even though my team stinks. That and a defensive draft pick or two will allow me to sell hope (and tickets and jerseys) for this year.

He isnt getting signed until last minute.

That's his history, isn't it?

Einstein

Reaction score
I'd rather let Dak walk and try to recapture the 2016 -2019 era again instead of just locking down what we have seen the last 2 seasons and thinking they can turn that into a winner.

All we will be now is the fighting Dak Prescotts. He should be good for your fantasy teams. Unfortunately our real life team will be stuck in mediocrity. The 1 thing we have going for us is our division sucks though so we may sneak a wildcard win in here and there.

History is really repeating itself like it did with Romo.

Yeah, let's get back to the 2001 - 2007 era of uncertainty. Don't forget Quincy Carter was a 2nd round pick and Jerry was super distraught over not being able to draft Paxton Lynch and wanted Connor Cook early as well so trusting our GM to draft a QB high isn't the best of plans.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Feb 22....1st day you can designate the franchise tag
March 9....last day you can designate the franchise tag
March 15-17...clubs can enter into negotiations with players that will be UFA 4pm EST March 17
March 17...League year begins
April 23...deadline for restricted FAs to sign
April 19-May 1....NFL draft

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Real question,What if dak is not the qb that MM really wants but is forced upon him by jerry,sort of like haskins and rivera or rg3 and shanny...not saying that's what going on but what if it was? What should happen?
I mean Haskins wasn't really forced on Rivera as proof that he didn't even make it out of the season lol.

If Dak isn't the guy McCarthy wants....why even come to Dallas?

Not only that.....but this guy thought Terrence Steele and Dinucci were good enough to start so at this point McCarthy may not be the best talent evaluator.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
You asked how the defense would be addressed. As for Dak the same people who are complaining about 40 mill many are the same who complained of a deal at 35 mill. but will now say they would go 35 mill Fact is the market value goes up but guess what so does the cap. Dak contract within 2 years will not be out of line with what the market value is at QB. With TV contracts that cap will increase. At the end of this past season the assumption was this years cap would be 175 million and now that has been increased to 180 million. The notion that Dak contract will prevent Dallas from doing anything is BS but it tends to come from those who do not want Dak regardless.
The 2020 cap was: $198.2 million in 2020, an increase from $188.2 million in 2019. The league has increased its salary cap every year since having an uncapped season in 2010, allowing teams to spend a significant amount in free agency.

If the cap is 180 million in 2021, going down 18.2 million from last year is not good when increasing a QBs salary by 5 million plus other deals like Zeke and Jaylon that increase.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was pretty much starting to mean that the franchise tag would happen and he’d be gone. Not out of wanting it to, but because they seemed to have reached a point of no return. But if they get something reasonable done, I’m game

I would consider a franchise tag as a failure to get a deal done, so when you say you could predict it every week and sooner or later you would be right? I tend to think differently. Getting a contract longer term I think gives Cowboys more flexibility than the 37 mill hitting at once.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Then you need to add to your every post that you are a Dak homer. Fair is fair.

If I was a Dak homer I would do that. But I'm no hater of no one or a homer of anyone. Just because I can be realistic about Dak and not think he's a bum doesn't mean I'm a homer of him. But there's no exact medium on Dak now is it? Either you are a homer or a hater of him.....you just get labeled it either way.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You asked how the defense would be addressed. As for Dak the same people who are complaining about 40 mill many are the same who complained of a deal at 35 mill. but will now say they would go 35 mill Fact is the market value goes up but guess what so does the cap. Dak contract within 2 years will not be out of line with what the market value is at QB. With TV contracts that cap will increase. At the end of this past season the assumption was this years cap would be 175 million and now that has been increased to 180 million. The notion that Dak contract will prevent Dallas from doing anything is BS but it tends to come from those who do not want Dak regardless.

And you haven't answered the question. You throw all this out there but you connect no dots. Dak will only sign a 4 year deal so really, in 3 years you are forced to renegotiate all of this. You are way overpaying for the numbers Dak wants for the next two years because your NFL revenue is in the tank. Where is the get well plan on that for two years and the whole, "Out Of Line - Market Value QB" theory then? Even your 175 to 180 is out of whack. The revenue is the revenue and it's already in the books. If the cap is going up from 175 to 180, that only means that players are borrowing more money against future cap increase to offset current salaries. IE, it all has to be paid back and that effects future salary cap increases. I mean, I don't understand how people don't get this. None of this makes sense financially but now that we've taken this conversation completely away from the question I asked, which was, how do you build the Defense if you sign Dak, I guess it doesn't much matter anymore right?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You can start your posts off with "I like Dak" all you want but the energy you spend towards trying to convince people he's not good is showing your stance. And that's fine. You aren't the only one but let's call this what it is lol.

My stance is pretty clear.. He’s terrible value..

I’m a big fan of his when he’s making a 4th round contract.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yawn. Do you really think Jerry and company could keep that secret this long. If that is the case lay off the sauce yourself.
Yes, I do because they want the coverage and that would have been against the rules and the league office would have disciplined the team for it. Once the deadlin has passed, negotiations are over/ As far as the league office is concerned.

And no, I will not lay off the sauce and you should be ashamed for suggesting that.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Goodbye Superbowl :(

In another thread you made some comment about Dak fans who think after signing him Jerry will perform a miracle and fix this team.

From the thread
How do fans determine whether it’s the QB or team holding them back?

The pay Dak guys think Jerry Jones will create football utopia.

So, this comment you made is clearly you thinking if they don't sign Dak and find a cheap QB - like Andy Dalton, who I think you have suggested - that Jerry will create football Utopia because he has the money.

1. The Cap is a myth fans wring hands over. Making the right moves can change a team's "stars" from one season to the next. The right moves, which include adjusting for the cap. Extending contracts to get the RIGHT defenders.
2. When has Jerry EVER created football Utopia after Jimmy left? Money will not make this man a football guy. He has shown that over the last two and a half decades.

So why is it you think this team will somehow be better if they have the money? How will Jerry suddenly grow a brain?

I am so interested in your specifics.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I like Dak.

I’m just realistic about his impact that he provides on the field and how the numbers his contract is rumored to be doesn’t validate it.

You’re not capable of having that thought because you are too big of a Cowboy homer and you will Pom Pom everything they do.

I feel like this is a reasonable stance on Dak. I want him here but calling people haters because they think he’s too expensive and not worth the money isn’t far fetched. I think a large amount of fans have this reservation, especially seeing what other big contracts have accomplished

fivetwos

Reaction score
The 2020 cap was: $198.2 million in 2020, an increase from $188.2 million in 2019. The league has increased its salary cap every year since having an uncapped season in 2010, allowing teams to spend a significant amount in free agency.

If the cap is 180 million in 2021, going down 18.2 million from last year is not good when increasing a QBs salary by 5 million plus other deals like Zeke and Jaylon that increase.
Neither the players or owners want the cap to decrease for several reasons.

That being the case, coupled with the new TV deal being in place (albeit for future years cap, not 2021), they will strike a deal to borrow from the future to prevent teams from needing to purge many players.

I expect the 2021 to eventually fall into line with the usual small increase.

When both sides need and want it....count on it.

Turk

Reaction score
If I was a Dak homer I would do that. But I'm no hater of no one or a homer of anyone. Just because I can be realistic about Dak and not think he's a bum doesn't mean I'm a homer of him. But there's no exact medium on Dak now is it? Either you are a homer or a hater of him.....you just get labeled it either way.
Your post history speaks for itself.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MM didn't get the job not being on board with Prescott as the QB and promising to make him better.

Status
Not open for further replies.