Bob Sturm on the Dak Negotiations

cern

Reaction score
the only mistake made during these negotiations was made by dak's agent. once the obviousness of the covid mess hit the fan, he should have inked the deal. now he can only watch and see what unfolds regarding the future of the nfl. he vastly overplayed his hand.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dak will decide how he feels about the job France has done and no one else's opinion really matters.

Dak isn't losing money.

Dallas initial offer was 28.5M per year. A year later is went to 33M a year.
So France "made" Dak 5M per in a calendar year.
I wouldn't be shocked to see a similar rise by next year after Watson signs.
I'd estimate now Dallas has to go 37 or 38AAV next year.
Tag alone pays him 37 next year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
the only mistake made during these negotiations was made by dak's agent. once the obviousness of the covid mess hit the fan, he should have inked the deal. now he can only watch and see what unfolds regarding the future of the nfl. he vastly overplayed his hand.
1000% incorrect.
Dak's money is GTD already and he gets that money and total free agency or he gets another 37.7M next year.

France had to do zero but look at the math as Sturm and all other people with brains note.

You really should listen to those guys, they are smart.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Good point. Sign it. Get the money. They already had a deal in place and we went 3-0 and he pulled the plug on the deal and likely burned the bridge with SJ and JJ. Maybe why Dak was on the phone the last day..

cern

Reaction score
1000% incorrect.
Dak's money is GTD already and he gets that money and total free agency or he gets another 37.7M next year.

France had to do zero but look at the math as Sturm and all other people with brains note.

You really should listen to those guys, they are smart.
force majeure . under normal circumstances i would agree with you. but this comes under the heading of force majeure (act of god) and nothing in the nfl's agreement with the cba prevents them from not paying him if there are no games. if you have info to the contrary, i would love to read it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Good point. Sign it. Get the money. They already had a deal in place and we went 3-0 and he pulled the plug on the deal and likely burned the bridge with SJ and JJ. Maybe why Dak was on the phone the last day..
Again so many talk in terms Stephen Jones hand delivered to the sheeple.
Pulling the plug wasn't necessary.
It was an on-going discussion/negotiation.

Dak had the 3 highest passing totals of his career through 3 weeks so Stephen coming and saying yes I'll agree to your offers from 6 weeks earlier in Camp doesn't mean France reneged. It means he changed his ask based on new data.
It wasn't unfair or unwarranted.

As to burned bridges, LOL.
France represents the best of the best and is considered the 2nd most powerful agent in existence.

cern

Reaction score
the only message stephen delivered to the fans (sheeple to some) and also to dak was the story of the pie. the pie is the cap. there are only so many slices of pie to go around to 53. if one wants a disproportionate slice of pie, there is less pie for the others. the flavor of the pie is not relevant. only the size of the pie.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
force majeure . under normal circumstances i would agree with you. but this comes under the heading of force majeure (act of god) and nothing in the nfl's agreement with the cba prevents them from not paying him if there are no games. if you have info to the contrary, i would love to read it.
There will 99.9% be games and only completely clueless people fail to grasp that. Essentially all other major sports already going to starting up.

Owners aren't losing 100+M (that's on the very low end of owners) to not play games sans fans.

If there was by act of god absolutely no season and zero games nothing would change.
Dak would be a free agent they had to tag again and pay him or make him a totally free agent and his salary would still be 37.7 M for the 2nd tag even if he didn't get paid anything in 2020.

As most adults have noted a total free agent Dak would make 40AAV on the open market.
So his WORST CASE scenario is lose 31.4M for this year but take zero hits or risks and rest on his ~4900 yards passing with total free agency or 37.7M in 2021.

Again, let me be clear. Dak isn't losing here because he has had all the leverage since Stephen failed to secure the deal before week 1 last year.

The only people burning bridges here is Dallas. Anger hDak enough and you pay him tag rates eternally or until he is totally a free agent that you can't even get trade compensation for.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
the only message stephen delivered to the fans (sheeple to some) and also to dak was the story of the pie. the pie is the cap. there are only so many slices of pie to go around to 53. if one wants a disproportionate slice of pie, there is less pie for the others. the flavor of the pie is not relevant. only the size of the pie.
been plenty of pie for 4 years and that hasn't mattered because they refused to address mediocre coaching and talent in other areas of the team.
Dallas refused to get a deal done early when ti was cheaper so now it's not.
Crying doesn't change that any more than Stephen's leaks to the media.

cern

Reaction score
There will 99.9% be games and only completely clueless people fail to grasp that. Essentially all other major sports already going to starting up.

Owners aren't losing 100+M (that's on the very low end of owners) to not play games sans fans.

If there was by act of god absolutely no season and zero games nothing would change.
Dak would be a free agent they had to tag again and pay him or make him a totally free agent and his salary would still be 37.7 M for the 2nd tag even if he didn't get paid anything in 2020.

As most adults have noted a total free agent Dak would make 40AAV on the open market.
So his WORST CASE scenario is lose 31.4M for this year but take zero hits or risks and rest on his ~4900 yards passing with total free agency or 37.7M in 2021.

Again, let me be clear. Dak isn't losing here because he has had all the leverage since Stephen failed to secure the deal before week 1 last year.

The only people burning bridges here is Dallas. Anger hDak enough and you pay him tag rates eternally or until he is totally a free agent that you can't even get trade compensation for.
under force majeure, the cowboys would only be obligated to pay 1/17 per game played. they could elect to do otherwise, but they are not compelled to do so. mlb has just adjusted salaries to include only the number of games played, despite the players with the highest contracts being majorly upset about it. i suspect players will be looking for insurance to protect them from unforseen eventualities like covid in the future.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Again so many talk in terms Stephen Jones hand delivered to the sheeple.
Pulling the plug wasn't necessary.
It was an on-going discussion/negotiation.

Dak had the 3 highest passing totals of his career through 3 weeks so Stephen coming and saying yes I'll agree to your offers from 6 weeks earlier in Camp doesn't mean France reneged. It means he changed his ask based on new data.
It wasn't unfair or unwarranted.

As to burned bridges, LOL.
France represents the best of the best and is considered the 2nd most powerful agent in existence.
Yes he does but don’t mean he can’t make mistakes. Maybe his plan was because of the virus season in doubt it would be better to take the guaranteed 31 and sign at the end of this season when level is higher. I don’t know how these contracts work. You can’t say they are lowballing Dak because the money he wants is what SB QB are making.

cern

Reaction score
been plenty of pie for 4 years and that hasn't mattered because they refused to address mediocre coaching and talent in other areas of the team.
Dallas refused to get a deal done early when ti was cheaper so now it's not.
Crying doesn't change that any more than Stephen's leaks to the media.
a more than fair deal was offered based on the contracts of other qb's. that's the nfl way of doing things. that offer was refused because an agent saw a team with no backup to dak and believed they would cave in. not an unreasonable negotiating strategy, but one that failed this time around.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Force Majeure
Much has been made about the NBA having a force majeure clause—it actually has the word “epidemic” in it—allowing teams to discontinue player payments in the event of forces beyond the league’s control. Armed with that leverage, the NBA negotiated a 25% reduction in player payroll beginning May 1 that could potentially last well into next season. So, you ask, does the NFL have a similar force majeure clause? The answer: technically yes, but practically no (yes, I am a lawyer).

Article 2, Section 5 of the CBA contains a force majeure clause, but it concerns international games; specifically, having more of them. The CBA otherwise limits the number of international games each season to 10 (there have been no more than four in past seasons). That limit is adjustable, however, if “a Club is displaced from its existing stadium due to force majeure events, construction or renovation.” Obviously there is no applicability to the present crisis, as due to the global nature of the pandemic, the NFL has announced there would be no international games this season.

As for a reference to any kind of “stoppage,” the CBA only prohibits labor actions such as strikes (initiated by players) or lockouts (initiated by owners).

Without CBA guidance on force majeure or stoppages, we look to the formation of a committee on safety for some guidance during the pandemic.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/12/nfl-cba-player-contracts-salary-cap-canceled-games

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Force Majeure
Much has been made about the NBA having a force majeure clause—it actually has the word “epidemic” in it—allowing teams to discontinue player payments in the event of forces beyond the league’s control. Armed with that leverage, the NBA negotiated a 25% reduction in player payroll beginning May 1 that could potentially last well into next season. So, you ask, does the NFL have a similar force majeure clause? The answer: technically yes, but practically no (yes, I am a lawyer).

Article 2, Section 5 of the CBA contains a force majeure clause, but it concerns international games; specifically, having more of them. The CBA otherwise limits the number of international games each season to 10 (there have been no more than four in past seasons). That limit is adjustable, however, if “a Club is displaced from its existing stadium due to force majeure events, construction or renovation.” Obviously there is no applicability to the present crisis, as due to the global nature of the pandemic, the NFL has announced there would be no international games this season.

As for a reference to any kind of “stoppage,” the CBA only prohibits labor actions such as strikes (initiated by players) or lockouts (initiated by owners).

Without CBA guidance on force majeure or stoppages, we look to the formation of a committee on safety for some guidance during the pandemic.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/12/nfl-cba-player-contracts-salary-cap-canceled-games
the final paragraph here is telling:
One final note on this subject. While NFL franchise values may—or may not—be taking a hit right now, we know that their values will continue to rise once this pandemic is in the rearview mirror. When owners ask (demand) the players share in their short-term losses, the players should, in turn, ask the owners to share in their long-term gains. That should stop the conversation pretty quickly.

In a sports world full of uncertainty, one certainty will always hold true: The business of sports never stops.

glimmerman

Reaction score
a more than fair deal was offered based on the contracts of other qb's. that's the nfl way of doing things. that offer was refused because an agent saw a team with no backup to dak and believed they would cave in. not an unreasonable negotiating strategy, but one that failed this time around.
They were offering money that SB winning QBs are making. Nothing wrong with wanting it but nothing wrong with not wanting to pay it. Would like to know that final offer that Dak wanted to sign but time ran out was. And everyone says that SJ was leaking info to the media. Is there proof of that.

cern

Reaction score
Force Majeure

thanks or posting the link. it completely substantiates what i've said all along regarding force majeure. so in summary, dak will not necessarily get all of his tag money depending on the season and number of games played.

glimmerman

Reaction score
One final note on this subject. While NFL franchise values may—or may not—be taking a hit right now, we know that their values will continue to rise once this pandemic is in the rearview mirror. When owners ask (demand) the players share in their short-term losses, the players should, in turn, ask the owners to share in their long-term gains. That should stop the conversation pretty quickly.

In a sports world full of uncertainty, one certainty will always hold true: The business of sports never stops.
If there is a season I wonder if they will have fans in the stands. Much to figure out and the season is coming up quick. I am hoping the numbers of infected start to fall and more things get back to normal. Football season has always been my favorite time.

cern

Reaction score

the nfl owners, if nothing else, are a most altruistic group of billionaires. no doubt they will show their losses as far greater than imagined:). (smilies denote sarcasm)

cern

Reaction score
If there is a season I wonder if they will have fans in the stands. Much to figure out and the season is coming up quick. I am hoping the numbers of infected start to fall and more things get back to normal. Football season has always been my favorite time.
there is talk of virtual fans. don't ask me how that will work. without the seats full of people, i doubt early rome's gladiator spectacles would have been so entertaining. the mob is fickle.