News: Bob Sturm: Why I was so wrong about Cowboys coach Jason Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Do you recall the GB in 2013 when Murray was averaging 8 yards per carry in the 1st half when we were up 23 points? Then Garrett ran the ball 7 more times total in the 2nd half? Aikman and Buck calling the game saying over and over again why Garrett isnt running the football? We wind up losing the game and Jerry blasts Garrett saying that we could have knelt down every time and won the game? Garrett being accountable and saying he should have ran the ball in the 2nd half? Then the GB player laughing after the game thanking Dallas for going away from the run? "Thats just what they do". This statement implies that its a league wide joke that the Cowboys can run the ball well, they just never stick with it.

That is the worst example, but there were plenty of others.

do you recall garrett in the press conference, when they asked him the same thing and for the first time he called out his player, that being romo that he had the running plays to call and he changed the play on the line. do you recall that the next season they took that flexibility away from romo. that's a coach making adjustments in his organization.

I am sure garrett is the only coach in history of NFL having made mistakes on game day. no other coach has ever done that. yep you are right.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Linehan came in and did pretty much everything that Garrett should have been doing the last 3 or 4 years. And BAM, instant 12-4 season and playoffs. Its all sitting there for everyone to see. It really is amazing how some refuse to see the obvious.

linehan came in and took directions from garrett. there is plenty of articles on linehan saying that garrett told him he wants to run the ball like they did in the 90's. google it yourself.

and no matter how you cut it. garrett is the head coach. linehan works for him and is on his staff. and the coach made a staffing decision.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Its really quite simple for the Boys.........Stay healthy, run the ball with similar success, improve the defense. If those things happen, its really not going to matter one way or another what Garrett does or doenst do. He just has to do his walk around thing and keep the ship pointing in the right direction.

just like every other HC in the league. couldn't concur more. most coaches have to stay out of the way of their coordinators for things to work.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Garrett hired him and demoted Callahan, Linehan offense is the same scheme that Jason ran it is why when he had the chance to hire Linehan he did. That was not a Jones move it was left to Garrett who had already removed Callahan from calling plays and having Linehan come into take over that role from Callahan because he fully trusted Linehan to do the job

dooms, don't use logic and facts with these anti-garrett crowd. they will just spin something up and point to GB game last year and the Detroit game from three years ago and completely dismiss any other positive thing that garrett has done and give credit to somebody else.

its amazing to me that jones is so stupid that he has the worst coach and OC in history of NFL according to these guys, and garrett is such a politician and is so smart that he has been able to fool a guy like jones and his son and the entire team and the coaching staff to pull off this caper...to be so incompetent and yet hold this job and have this team at 12-4 and while all these other guys in the organization are doing all the right things despite garrett and working around garrett and he is able to get the credit for it. man what a guy this garrett is to be able to fool such a successful billionaire such as jones who has no business experience or ability to build and run and organization and recognize leadership and garrett so easily fooling him. what a guy this garrett that he has been able to fool and control linehan and marinelli into buying into his system and doing all the right things and garrett getting credit for it. this guy is totally unbelievable

sarcasm fully intended.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Play calling is everything. I dont really care about the scheme. Most schemes have just about every play in it to begin with. Its about game plans, execution, and calling the plays during a game. Linehan did a fantastic job. Garrett not so much.

Garrett was stuck on abandoning the run whether it was working or not. Garrett was also stuck on his 2 TE formation. Garrett hardly used Beasley. Linehan has come and its night and day. And I think its great that Garrett demanded we were going to run the ball. But Linehan came in and made happen where Garrett couldnt.

wait, would you and your buddies get together and come up with same story, because your garret hater buddies say its the schemes. now you say its not the scheme.

and if garrett didn't do a good job, how did he have 3 top 10 finishes in 6 years that he was the OC?

btw, did you know linehan when he was the HC at detriot set and all time record with number of pass attempts in a season? yeah, same linehan

cml750

Reaction score
I only read through the first few pages of this thread, but I just want to point out Garrett has only had one good season. For me, the jury is still out. He made WAY too many mistakes during the back to back to back 8 - 8 season that cost us games and thus the playoffs. I am not going to rag on him but I find it funny how so many just gloss over all the mistakes he made even when he was making them. I sincerely hope we move forward and become a long term success under Garrett. I hope he is our next Landry but it will take way more than one successful season for me to anoint him after his stupid early mistakes.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I only read through the first few pages of this thread, but I just want to point out Garrett has only had one good season. For me, the jury is still out. He made WAY too many mistakes during the back to back to back 8 - 8 season that cost us games and thus the playoffs. I am not going to rag on him but I find it funny how so many just gloss over all the mistakes he made even when he was making them. I sincerely hope we move forward and become a long term success under Garrett. I hope he is our next Landry but it will take way more than one successful season for me to anoint him after his stupid early mistakes.

I agree that I would not call him a great at this stage. Frankly there are very, very few HC who in their 1st 4 years I would call great. Has he made mistakes? Sure. Has he made questionable calls? Yep but then I don't know of a single HC who has walked the sidelines who have not made questionable calls.
I think this is a big season for Garrett and his reputation as a HC. Winning unexpectedly last season when most felt Dallas was nothing more than a 6 win team to hit 12-4 make post season and held our own with top teams was big. This season the expectation are high we will not sneak up on anyone and we will face some very good teams, how this season turns out I think will say a lot about Jason as a HC

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

some may argue he has had more than one good season as a HC. most predicted the cowboys to be a 5-11 to 6-10 team and at best 7-9 in those years that we finished 8-8. Although there were some game day mistakes, there were games that we won where we should have lost.

keeping in mind that he is a first time HC, the arrow has been pointing upwards. all coaches early in their careers make mistakes, learn from them and move forward. there isn't one that hasn't done that. nobody is glossing over the mistakes. but there is a balance, and often with garrett people point to the team mistakes and blame it on garrett, and in the same breath anything good is somebody else and despite garrett. ALl good coaches surround themselves with other good coaches. there isn't one that has it done it all by himself. a CEO of a technology company, doesn't write the codes, manage projects, run marketing and HR, etc. he surronds himself with others. they are often have a vision and bring the right people to execute that vision.

and if truly garrett is that bad, if that's the case then how come he is still holding a job and has been able to move the franchise forward. is he that smart to have fooled and controlled all these people in an organization like the cowboys? all these coaches, players, business men. are they all that stupid? is Jones that dumb? if yes, then he is the freaking luckiest man alive to be such billionaire having build an empire, the second most successful franchise in US and won three superbowls.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree that I would not call him a great at this stage. Frankly there are very, very few HC who in their 1st 4 years I would call great. Has he made mistakes? Sure. Has he made questionable calls? Yep but then I don't know of a single HC who has walked the sidelines who have not made questionable calls.
I think this is a big season for Garrett and his reputation as a HC. Winning unexpectedly last season when most felt Dallas was nothing more than a 6 win team to hit 12-4 make post season and held our own with top teams was big. This season the expectation are high we will not sneak up on anyone and we will face some very good teams, how this season turns out I think will say a lot about Jason as a HC

dooms, you hit the nail on the head. the anti garrett crowd have created a bar so high that a single mistake is unacceptable. yet none of them have been able to answer why they will give credit to all these other coaches who have made similar mistakes. if you expect perfection, then everyone and I mean everyone will fail at it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dooms, you hit the nail on the head. the anti garrett crowd have created a bar so high that a single mistake is unacceptable. yet none of them have been able to answer why they will give credit to all these other coaches who have made similar mistakes. if you expect perfection, then everyone and I mean everyone will fail at it.

No bar they are prepared to give others credit for success and lay full blame on anything that goes wrong at the feet of Garrett. He is in a no win situation in their eyes

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Deception in general. Or taking advantage of all these rules that favor the offense.

Nah.. We'll just make our receivers run 25 yards downfield every play.

We throw in 1 little wrinkle with getting Witten and Beasley squatted down in the middle of the defense and it changes years of struggling.

It took all of Garretts career and half of another season for that clown to finally decide to not be so stubborn and make an adjustment instead of letting teams load the box and press us out wide.

Right........and what his famous line in regards to offense? His master game plan every week?

"Were just going to take what the defense gives us" Do recall Dez being taken out of whole games or complete halves of games?

The defensive coordinator could simply dictate to Garrett where he wanted him to go. Load up the box, you know they will throw. Double Dez and you know its not going to him. He would refuse to move Dez around or anything of the sort. Consistently coming out at half time with ZERO adjustments.

We be down by 10 points nearly every game in the first quarter. One of the lowest scoring teams in the first quarter, always coming out flat on the first drive. He wouldnt even use the hurry up offense until the end of the game or the half, even though it was obvious Romo liked it the most and the offense moved the ball well with it.

In that 2nd round game against the Giants when Wade was the head coach, Barber was tearing it up on the ground in the first half. They couldnt stop him. And not ONCE did clown boy take advantage if the defense creeping up and throw some play action bombs. We dominated the half, but with little to show for it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
More often than not, I agree with Sturm.

Not in 2012 though. That team sucked and probably overachieved going 8-8.
Worst defense in Dallas history and a complete wet paper bag at Oline.
Also , a beat up QB and RBs, and a WR1 who still hadn't figured out how to run routes.

And we missed the playoffs because we couldn't move the ball against the prototypical defensive play that owned us year after year and a RG3 who couldn't run....

2012 was a choke job and the defense was no excuse.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He has a big role in that process yes as most coaches do.
Salaries? No, nor did Jimmy Johnson
I'm saying that after looking at this situation he agreed that it was in the best interest.
Lastly it was Kiffin along with Marinelli and yes Garrett had a big say in that. Does not mean no other imput was given. It was Garrett who moved Marinelli from DL coach to take over DC job.

Abslutely not does Garrett have a big say. That is laughable. A say, sure. An opinion, sure. Jones is going to ask 20 people what they think. But dont kid yourself thinking that he has final say or anything close to it. He does not make the final call or anything close to it on personnel. He simply doesnt. Nor did Wade Phillips.

Parcells had more say. Parcells and Garrett, not even close.

So Jimmy Johnson didnt have a say in player acquisition? Wow, talk about being off.

Maybe thats the issue. You think that EVERY coach does the same for every team. The fact is that Garrett has some of the least control out of any coach in the NFL. Its more than obvious. You act like Garrett has Chip Kelly powers. Not a chance. Not even close.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No bar they are prepared to give others credit for success and lay full blame on anything that goes wrong at the feet of Garrett. He is in a no win situation in their eyes

absolutely. if things go wrong. its garrett. if things go right its somebody else.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
So you would've fired Jimmy early too, then?

Again, missing my point. Many posters are using last season as evidence to JG's established and cemented winning culture in DAL when the evidence is only 1 win (so far). Jimmy didn't have a top 5 QB from day 1 either;) You are also falsely equating Jimmy's success after his first post season win to be evidence that JG will have 2SBs to follow...? That also hasn't had a chance to be established, etc.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The defensive coordinator could simply dictate to Garrett where he wanted him to go. Load up the box, you know they will throw. Double Dez and you know its not going to him. He would refuse to move Dez around or anything of the sort. Consistently coming out at half time with ZERO adjustments.

In that 2nd round game against the Giants when Wade was the head coach, Barber was tearing it up on the ground in the first half. They couldnt stop him. And not ONCE did clown boy take advantage if the defense creeping up and throw some play action bombs. We dominated the half, but with little to show for it.

Yeah, that is a big problem I have with the offense.

We don't have many plays in our passing attack that just simply get the ball in our best players hands.

If a defense wants to take out Dez we'll accept that and just pitch it to Witten over and over.

Meanwhile the best YAC receiver in the NFL is running 25 yards downfield every play and waiting for those 1 or 2 plays a game that are big gainers and pad the stats.

As far as him running the ball.. Anytime we were down in a game that was the end of our run game.

That is why Murray had a stupid stat like we were 14-0 or something crazy everytime he got 20 touches.

We just threw it out the window unless we had a lead.

Garrett can keep a team focused and moving forward and that is a hard thing to do in Dallas but if they ever lose focus and lose the mentality of taking it 1 play at a time then he becomes absolutely worthless.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It was the defense that really tanked in Wade's final 1/2 season. That defense had plenty of talent. It was their mindset that was the problem, not talent.

You said that Garret was bad years ago and now you have a need to try to prove that you were right despite mounds of evidence to the contrary.

Again, referencing Garrett as an OC is just getting off topic from the question of his ability as a Head Coach. Linehan works for Garrett and had to have approval from Garrett to be a run heavy offense.

The defense tanked and the offense become one dimensional, predictable, and desperate under Garrett. He was abandoning the run at a record pace.

Of course it matters about Garrett being an OC or running the offense. Do you think for ONE second that if Garrett was doing a great job running the offense and the team, there would have been a change?

Ok, so Garrett gives him permission to run the ball. So what? Linehan is doing what Garrett couldnt. What he was too inept to do.

So I tell one of my employees to go make me a million dollars. I couldnt do it, but I hope that you can. So he goes and does it. So who gets the credit?

Any fool can tell someone to do something. Its the people that get it done and make it happen that are the difference makers. Garrett is NOT a difference maker.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Abslutely not does Garrett have a big say. That is laughable. A say, sure. An opinion, sure. Jones is going to ask 20 people what they think. But dont kid yourself thinking that he has final say or anything close to it. He does not make the final call or anything close to it on personnel. He simply doesnt. Nor did Wade Phillips.

Parcells had more say. Parcells and Garrett, not even close.

So Jimmy Johnson didnt have a say in player acquisition? Wow, talk about being off.

Maybe thats the issue. You think that EVERY coach does the same for every team. The fact is that Garrett has some of the least control out of any coach in the NFL. Its more than obvious. You act like Garrett has Chip Kelly powers. Not a chance. Not even close.

the coach has the biggest influence. not the final say. and there are times that the coach makes the call (like parcells did couple of times).

you want to tell me that garrett has had no influence on jones and the team philosophy and strategy?

then you are just being childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.