News: Bob Sturm: Why I was so wrong about Cowboys coach Jason Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
DC, if you're going to form an opinion, then form it on facts that are at least accurate. McClay wasn't involved in the Floyd fiasco. Tom Ciskowski was. I'm not even sure McClay was mentioned in the Floyd discussions. It was Marinelli who was pretty much was against drafting Floyd because he didn't fit into his scheme.

And the input to bring in Kiffin was from Lacewell. This whole thing about Garrett's input in certain situations like the Kiffin hiring are nothing more than pipe dreams and based on nothing other than your fantasy that Garrett is somehow in charge, is the arcitect and visionary for this team. There was reporting back then of DC's Garrett had interest in and Dom Capers came to mind. I'm sure there were others. I actually believe that Garrett is too smart to bring in a retread like Kiffin and that's saying a lot.

The part in bold is just too funny and keeps getting repeated as some barometer of success......"hey, he's never had a losing season and we were competitive!!!!" Talk about spin. You know as well as anyone that in today's NFL with the salary cap, roster turnover is a given. The system is made to that all teams can taste some success if they draft well and handle the cap.

I don't like Garrett as the HC of this team. I've admitted as much. My opinion is based on what he's brought to the table and done for the team. He's a horrendous play caller and the owner/GM agree with me. No lead is safe with Garrett as the HC/playcaller. That's a fact and based on results that we've seen. He can stand on the sideline and clap like a seal all day so long as we win. But that's where I base my opinion on...wins.

I'll pony up and admit I was wrong when this mystical rebuild and process leads to consistent winning. If Garrett didn't have a franchise QB, I wouldn't hold it against him. But he does and he's still found ways to lose games the team had no business losing.

Its sad to say, but Romo's career, up to this point has been wasted on the training of Garrett. And it took Jones 8 years to figure out that Garrett couldnt run the offense. 8 years!!!!! But hey, miraculously after 8 years someone else comes in to run the offense and its instant balance and success.

The Redzone problems disappear. The penalties disappear. The non existent running game disappears. The ONLY player different on offense last year was our first round Guard. ONE PLAYER?

But hey, Garrett hired Linehan right, so he gets the credit. LOL

mattjames2010

Reaction score
lol it's tabloid fodder?

Garrett was brought here by Jerry before he even hired Wade as a HC and he was named offensive coordinator.

He had 1 good season with that title when Tony Sporano was holding his hand.

He had several games where he completely botched clock management and other in game situations and he still stuck around.

I will never forget the entire Jones family and 90 thousand Cowboy fans begging for him to call a timeout a couple years back.

Any other coach would've got canned after 2013 and the lack of success. Jerry's ego and Jasons contract definitely kept Jason for 1 more year.

Jason Garrett had our offense ranked high nearly every year, even did well with Jon Kitna. No one is claiming Garrett is a legendary OC. But again I'll tell you, do your research on what Garrett said about the run game before 2014, read why they brought in Linehan. I couldn't care less if you or any other casual fan likes the calls or not that Garrett made, it's better that you understand why and see that it's not just the HC that comes up with the decision. And once again, you are pointing a couple calls out off countless others; you can pick them out with every HC.

And Jerry kept Jason around simply due to his contract and giving him his final year to allow our team to take the next step. Jerry also commented on that.

I'm not interested in your tabloid BS. I'm interested in facts. Stick to them.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Its sad to say, but Romo's career, up to this point has been wasted on the training of Garrett. And it took Jones 8 years to figure out that Garrett couldnt run the offense. 8 years!!!!! But hey, miraculously after 8 years someone else comes in to run the offense and its instant balance and success.

The Redzone problems disappear. The penalties disappear. The non existent running game disappears. The ONLY player different on offense last year was our first round Guard. ONE PLAYER?

But hey, Garrett hired Linehan right, so he gets the credit. LOL

It took Wade Phillips only a short time to see that Garrett needed help which is why he wanted to bring in Dan Reeves. Folks just want to overlook the obvious. Dan Reeves may have been good for Garrett early in his coaching tenure which would have benefitted Romo. But that damn time clock.........

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I realize this topic has devolved into a slap fight, but just wanted to say that I can't remember a thread with as many posts that demonstrate people are willing to interpret events with absolutely zero tether to reality or available evidence. It shouldn't surprise me, but somehow still does.

In any event, Sturm's basic point was worth noting. This team's on the right track after some long up and down years. Anybody who thinks that's happening without the significant input of the head coach is entitled to that unsupportable opinion. I just have a hard time understanding why they'd want to say so publicly.

You are very good at coming around and saying that people dont know what they are talking about, then saying absolutely zero to prove it or back it up.

My opinions are completely supportable and the others on here bashing Garrett continue to put up the facts. The best part is that our owner agrees with us when it comes to the mistakes that Garrett has made. If Garrett was so good at calling the offense then why isnt he still doing it? Go ahead, answer the question? Refute my statement with something intelligent or substantial.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I realize this topic has devolved into a slap fight, but just wanted to say that I can't remember a thread with as many posts that demonstrate people are willing to interpret events with absolutely zero tether to reality or available evidence. It shouldn't surprise me, but somehow still does.

In any event, Sturm's basic point was worth noting. This team's on the right track after some long up and down years. Anybody who thinks that's happening without the significant input of the head coach is entitled to that unsupportable opinion. I just have a hard time understanding why they'd want to say so publicly.

The same people that want to say that the success of the team, has to be because of the head coach, are the same people that used to say that Wade was simply living off the talent of Parcells.

So basically you are saying that Garrett gets credit no matter what, simply because he is the head coach? So basically any fool that is a head coach gets credit when a team does well?

So then Garrett gets credit for no other reason then its simply par for the course.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And the fact that people still can't seem to understand why we were stuck at 8-8 is beyond me.

Having 3 different DC's, rebuilding, multiple injuries across the board will do that. The "system" doesn't overcome that so easily.

If Garrett is going to be criticized, at least point out things that were going on around him.

As for the Jerry Jones ego crap, Jones isn't afraid to fire HC. We looked like the Raiders for years with how many HCs we went through. I'm glad we stuck through one head coaches contract while factoring in all of the problems while not putting them all on the coach; got us to a 12-4.

But all failures are on Garrett, while all the success goes to the players and coordinators. Until the next bash Romo thread appears, then it's Romo.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jason Garrett had our offense ranked high nearly every year, even did well with Jon Kitna. No one is claiming Garrett is a legendary OC. But again I'll tell you, do your research on what Garrett said about the run game before 2014, read why they brought in Linehan. I couldn't care less if you or any other casual fan likes the calls or not that Garrett made, it's better that you understand why and see that it's not just the HC that comes up with the decision. And once again, you are pointing a couple calls out off countless others; you can pick them out with every HC.

And Jerry kept Jason around simply due to his contract and giving him his final year to allow our team to take the next step. Jerry also commented on that.

I'm not interested in your tabloid BS. I'm interested in facts. Stick to them.

I have read all of it. And what I am wondering is why did Garrett wait so long to figure that out? And why couldn't he do that himself?

"Guys, were going to get back to running the ball this year" Really? Why THIS year? Why not last year or the year before? Garrett finally committed. Too late my friend. Too late. And no doubt had he been the OC, it would have been pass happy nonsense and abandoning the run all over again.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And the fact that people still can't seem to understand why we were stuck at 8-8 is beyond me.

Having 3 different DC's, rebuilding, multiple injuries across the board will do that. The "system" doesn't overcome that so easily.

If Garrett is going to be criticized, at least point out things that were going on around him.

As for the Jerry Jones ego crap, Jones isn't afraid to fire HC. We looked like the Raiders for years with how many HCs we went through. I'm glad we stuck through one head coaches contract while factoring in all of the problems while not putting them all on the coach; got us to a 12-4.

But all failures are on Garrett, while all the success goes to the players and coordinators. Until the next bash Romo thread appears, then it's Romo.

Its quite obvious the difference between 8-8 and 12-4. Running the football. Its that simple. Take out the dominant run game, and this team is 8-8 ish and no playoffs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Lets just take a look AT the facts.

8-8 8-8 8-8 Head coach Jason Garrett................OC Jason Garrett DC is Kiffin and Ryan

12-4 Head coach Jason Garrett................OC Linehan, DC Marinellli

So what has changed? Head coach is the same, so you can eliminate him from the equation. The difference is that we finally got some quality coordinators running both side of the ball. We went from Garrett and Kiffin, to Linehan and Marinelli.

Garrett = pass happy, no running game
Linehan=Well balanced, dominant run game offense.

Dodger12

Reaction score
there is also plenty of articles that linehan has been quoted as saying garrett told him he wants to run the ball like the 90's. Linehan is the same coach who set a pass attempt record in Detroit.

If you want to run the ball like the 90's, then do it. Garrett got here in 2007. He had a say in drafting Felix Jones. They drafted another running back that same draft in the 4th (Tashard Choice). They also had MBIII coming off a good season. So run the ball. Make it a part of your offensive philosophy.

Since 2007, the Cowboy's ranking for rushing attempts are as follows: 17 (2007), 21 (08), 7 (09), 16 (10), 18 (11), 31 (12), 24 (13), 2 (14). And while you bring up Linehan, this pass happy OC had more rushing attempts in Detroit in 2012 and 2013 than Garrett did in Dallas.

Now if you're telling me that Garrett directed Linehan to run the ball......that's great. I applaud him for that. But it still begs the question why Garrett couldn't/wouldn't do it for the better part of 7 years when he had control of the offense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
again his record as an OC stands on its own...as a head coach he has never had a losing season while rebuilding the team and adding talent and staying competitive. now, you and few like you who have dug in because they just don't want to admit think garrett doesn't have the IT factor, yet his coaching staff, joneses and the players buy in to it and that's the important piece that you missed. completely.

in regards to game planning, its all about the results. your opinion and its an opinion is that we should have had more play actions. well how do you produce #2 offense and #3 offense and 5 top 10 offense in the league? without enough play actions as you said.

and to you last point, Jerry didn't have to keep garrett. he had every reason to fire him. you are in the same sentence calling jerry a fool and smart. you call him smart for by passing garrett and doing something to make the team successful, yet he is dumb for not recognizing garrett doesn't have it and yet keeping him on. so is jones and idiot? or smart? if he is smart then why is he keeping garrett? if he is an idiot, then how could he come up with a smart move? it can't be both. and if garrett has likeable leadership qualities, then aren't those the traits you want in a head coach and his leadership has set the vision and staffing and direction for the team? or are you going to now pigeon hole where he has had say with his leadership. you can't pick and choose what fits your argument in every category that you have tried to discredit garrett.

he sucks as an OC, yet he has produced top 10 offenses regularly. he sucks as a HC. yet never a losing season, rebuilt the team.

all I have heard you do is point out a few games here and there. and use those as the basis for your argument.

I can do exactly that with billicheck. carroll. McCarthy. fox. couglin, and every other coach. I can do exactly the same for coaches who haven't accomplished anything. you really want to go through that exercise?

the end result is as OC, we were consistently a top 10 team with limited resources. as HC, we have never had a losing season under him and have totally rebuilt the team and become one of the youngest.

you, yes you and other anti-garrett clan predicted 5-11 and 6-10 seasons yet we ended up 8-8 and in playoff hunt with limited talent on the team. yet you fault him for exceeding your own expectations. you expect 100% perfection in everything. if a play doesn't get yards, you will fault him for that play and that single play becomes your basis for your argument.

you missed the forest because of the trees.

LOL.........................ahahahaha!!!

"you missed the forest because of the trees."

The forest IS the trees!!!! OMG talk about a whiff......................

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If you want to run the ball like the 90's, then do it. Garrett got here in 2007. He had a say in drafting Felix Jones. They drafted another running back that same draft in the 4th (Tashard Choice). They also had MBIII coming off a good season. So run the ball. Make it a part of your offensive philosophy.

Since 2007, the Cowboy's ranking for rushing attempts are as follows: 17 (2007), 21 (08), 7 (09), 16 (10), 18 (11), 31 (12), 24 (13), 2 (14). And while you bring up Linehan, this pass happy OC had more rushing attempts in Detroit in 2012 and 2013 than Garrett did in Dallas.

Now if you're telling me that Garrett directed Linehan to run the ball......that's great. I applaud him for that. But it still begs the question why Garrett couldn't/wouldn't do it for the better part of 7 years when he had control of the offense.

Right........after 8 years Garrett finally commits to running the football and these cats want to applaud him for it. Too funny.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Its quite obvious the difference between 8-8 and 12-4. Running the football. Its that simple. Take out the dominant run game, and this team is 8-8 ish and no playoffs.

A growing offensive line and improved defense also helped. Far more to it than the "run the football".

We ran the football because BOTH Garrett and Linehan wanted to. We ran the ball because we could now. It also benefited our defense.

And Garrett didn't just start; he did it when Murray emerged in 2011 as well. He did it when it worked. Murray was dinged up in 2012, when Murray went down in 2013, our backups were unimpressive. A little unsure why the coordinators on this board feel you should force a miserable rushing attack.

Far too much simplifying going on when it comes to play calling, but I have a feeling this is intentional by a lot of you.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
do you know how many coaches say that? we will take what the defense gives us.

and the hurry up offense works in the back end of the games mostly because teams that are behind are trying to catch up and teams that are ahead will give up yards in the middle of the field to kill the clock....simple concept really, but try hurry up offense in the first quarter and the results are quite different.

simple football concepts you need to learn son....

Brady runs the hurry up offense all day long buddy. LOL Your hero runs it in the first quarter. Peyton runs it in the first quarter.

The hurry up is a wonderful change of pace tactic to throw off the defense and catch them off guard. Just another useful tool that Garrett failed to use properly.

-play action
-hurry up offense
-screens
-WR screens
-running the football
-red zone offense

ect....ect....ect......

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A growing offensive line and improved defense also helped. Far more to it than the "run the football".

We ran the football because BOTH Garrett and Linehan wanted to. We ran the ball because we could now. It also benefited our defense.

And Garrett didn't just start; he did it when Murray emerged in 2011 as well. He did it when it worked. Murray was dinged up in 2012, when Murray went down in 2013, our backups were unimpressive. A little unsure why the coordinators on this board feel you should force a miserable rushing attack.

Far too much simplifying going on when it comes to play calling, but I have a feeling this is intentional by a lot of you.

Garrett has been preaching about running the football for years and he didnt do it. So why didnt he commit to it before now?

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Garrett the OC was average at best - Garrett the HC is one of the best in the business right now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Our first round pick last year at guard was the only player on offense different in 2014 then 2013. So then why didnt we run the ball more in 2013? Please explain that mystery.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Garrett the OC was average at best - Garrett the HC is one of the best in the business right now.

I couldnt agree more. He is the best in the business at clapping like a seal on the sidelines. Best fanny patter and red flag thrower I have EVER seen. Keep up the good work Garrett. :)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

So was Garrett one of the best in the business as a HC in 2013 also or was it just last year? When did Garrett suddenly become one of the best in the business exactly?

cml750

Reaction score
some may argue he has had more than one good season as a HC. most predicted the cowboys to be a 5-11 to 6-10 team and at best 7-9 in those years that we finished 8-8. Although there were some game day mistakes, there were games that we won where we should have lost.

keeping in mind that he is a first time HC, the arrow has been pointing upwards. all coaches early in their careers make mistakes, learn from them and move forward. there isn't one that hasn't done that. nobody is glossing over the mistakes. but there is a balance, and often with garrett people point to the team mistakes and blame it on garrett, and in the same breath anything good is somebody else and despite garrett. ALl good coaches surround themselves with other good coaches. there isn't one that has it done it all by himself. a CEO of a technology company, doesn't write the codes, manage projects, run marketing and HR, etc. he surronds himself with others. they are often have a vision and bring the right people to execute that vision.

and if truly garrett is that bad, if that's the case then how come he is still holding a job and has been able to move the franchise forward. is he that smart to have fooled and controlled all these people in an organization like the cowboys? all these coaches, players, business men. are they all that stupid? is Jones that dumb? if yes, then he is the freaking luckiest man alive to be such billionaire having build an empire, the second most successful franchise in US and won three superbowls.

I have no desire to rag on Garrett, as I love the job he did last year, but I do not buy he lifted lesser teams to 3 consecutive 8 - 8 seasons when he cost the team at least two games a season in each of those seasons and we missed the playoffs by one game. I call the like I see them. He did good last year and I hope he builds on it. One good season is not enough for me to anoint him yet. If he keeps it up for a few years, I will jump completely on the Garrett band wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.