News: Bob Sturm: Why I was so wrong about Cowboys coach Jason Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
I couldnt agree more. He is the best in the business at clapping like a seal on the sidelines. Best fanny patter and red flag thrower I have EVER seen. Keep up the good work Garrett. :)

You just joined a lot of people's ignore list - it's one thing to have an opinion, its another to think everyone is stupid for not agreeing with you

Garrett has done a great job of rebuilding this team and fixing the broken culture. We're a contender again - you want a rah rah coach, go cheer for the Bills. Rex Ryan seems perfect for a fan like you.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
So was Garrett one of the best in the business as a HC in 2013 also or was it just last year? When did Garrett suddenly become one of the best in the business exactly?

Right around the time we went 12-4 and were a bad call away from playing for the NFC title against a team we already beat in their house.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Garrett has been preaching about running the football for years and he didnt do it. So why didnt he commit to it before now?

What have you yet to understand? It's all been explained. Either one: the run wasn't working. Two: Going in with the plan to run the ball does not mean that's how you can finish, you adjust to how the game is going. Looking at our rushing attempts and going "SEE!" doesn't work. Put things into context.

Dodger12

Reaction score
A growing offensive line and improved defense also helped. Far more to it than the "run the football".

We ran the football because BOTH Garrett and Linehan wanted to. We ran the ball because we could now. It also benefited our defense.

And Garrett didn't just start; he did it when Murray emerged in 2011 as well. He did it when it worked. Murray was dinged up in 2012, when Murray went down in 2013, our backups were unimpressive. A little unsure why the coordinators on this board feel you should force a miserable rushing attack.

Far too much simplifying going on when it comes to play calling, but I have a feeling this is intentional by a lot of you.

You can point out years when we could have or should run. I get that players get hurt. But Garrett has been here since 2007. We've had debates on this board since the day Garrett took over about why we didn't run the ball. The answer/excuse back then was the NFL has evolved into a passing league and Garrett was a new age OC that evolved with it. Now the discussion has shifted into Garrett likes to run but didn't have the OL. We've been talking about these things for years. Bottom line is the minute Garret no longer "controls" the offense or calls the plays, we have success.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Our first round pick last year at guard was the only player on offense different in 2014 then 2013. So then why didnt we run the ball more in 2013? Please explain that mystery.

No, we drafted a guard, while having two other young offensive lineman improving along with our RT playing consistently. If you can't notice the difference in our offensive talent from 2013 to 2014, I can't help you anymore than I've already tried.

As for 2013, what mystery? Our backups looked awful in the two games Murray went down, we allowed Murray to rush for over 18-25 times when it was working. Still wondering what forcing a running game that is getting us below 4 YPC is going to do. I hear the "balance" thing often, which again, is just simplifying things and ignoring other factors.

PAINFROMUKRAINE

Reaction score
You can point out years when we could have or should run. I get that players get hurt. But Garrett has been here since 2007. We've had debates on this board since the day Garrett took over about why we didn't run the ball. The answer/excuse back then was the NFL has evolved into a passing league and Garrett was a new age OC that evolved with it. Now the discussion has shifted into Garrett likes to run but didn't have the OL. We've been talking about these things for years. Bottom line is the minute Garret no longer "controls" the offense or calls the plays, we have success.

Imagine how good this team would be if we did not have a "Coach in Training". Less is More. Less of JG involvement equals more success for "THE BOYS". 2014 is Proof Positive.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

The first part of your post is simply the truth, it did evolve and a good portion of the league was utilizing the passing attack more than the rushing attack. Again, I am not arguing Garrett is a great play caller, he's certainly not as terrible as some here say, but I certainly never considered him great; I'm arguing that he was unwilling to run the ball.

I had my issues with the 2013 offensive scheme for other reasons; I wasn't a fan of what Bill Callahan was attempting on offense, The dink and dunk conservative Tom Brady crap went against what Romo is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You just joined a lot of people's ignore list - it's one thing to have an opinion, its another to think everyone is stupid for not agreeing with you

Garrett has done a great job of rebuilding this team and fixing the broken culture. We're a contender again - you want a rah rah coach, go cheer for the Bills. Rex Ryan seems perfect for a fan like you.

It was a playful joke my friend. No where did I say anything about someone being stupid. None of this has been a flame war by any stretch until your recent rant.

I am also going to go out on a limb here and say that you dont speak for "a lot of other people".

There are several of us here having a nice long discussion about something we all clearly feel strongly about and disagree with. But the rest of us seem quite ok with handling all of it. Its appears that YOU are the one that cant handle it.

Now as far as Garrett rebuilding this team I ask again, what did he do to rebuild it? What part did he rebuild. Not from where I am standing. Garrett has had two jobs here.

1. Be the head coach
2. Run the offense

He did #2 horribly. And only did we finally turn the corner with this team when he no longer was doing #2. So does Garrett get credit for firing himself as OC?

Fine, so Garrett did a great head coaching job by firing himself as OC. Well done Garrett. You finally brought in a real OC. First great head coaching move he has done since he has been here.

The funny part is...........We all know it was Jerry Jones that forced him away from the offense.

So I ask you AGAIN.......................What is it that Garrett is or does well?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have NEVER seen a head coach make the mistakes that Garrett has made. And since when are the Dallas Cowboys the training ground for young, inexperienced head coaches trying to learn their way?

Are we some sort of farm team for coaches? We dont groom coaches here? How pathetic.

Then you have not been watching very long. Only thing pathetic is the fan base for the Cowboys. He has never had a losing season and has done a lot to change personnel and the culture around this team. he took a team many felt was nothing more than a 6 win team and brought them to a 12-4.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Right around the time we went 12-4 and were a bad call away from playing for the NFC title against a team we already beat in their house.

So then he was a bad head coach pre 12-4? Are you saying that any team with a winning record has a good head coach? Seems a little over simplistic to me.

That would mean that half the teams have head coaches and half the teams have bad coaches every year. Some years the same ones that were bad one year are good the next?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Then you have not been watching very long. Only thing pathetic is the fan base for the Cowboys. He has never had a losing season and has done a lot to change personnel and the culture around this team. he took a team many felt was nothing more than a 6 win team and brought them to a 12-4.

"never had a losing season"? Wow, what an accomplishment. If that is your barometer for good coaching, then it all makes sense now. With low standards like that, Garrrett surely makes your grade.

Last time I checked 8-8 was mediocrity. And all 3 of those years should have been winning seasons. Had it not been for the horrid play calling of our OC. Oh wait, that was Garrett.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
"never had a losing season"? Wow, what an accomplishment. If that is your barometer for good coaching, then it all makes sense now. With low standards like that, Garrrett surely makes your grade.

Last time I checked 8-8 was mediocrity. And all 3 of those years should have been winning seasons. Had it not been for the horrid play calling of our OC. Oh wait, that was Garrett.

No taking a team that quite and rebuilding it to the point they are 12-4. Hell Romo himself said those 8-8 teams were not good enough.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are very good at coming around and saying that people dont know what they are talking about, then saying absolutely zero to prove it or back it up...

This is a fair point, given that I called out visionary in this very thread for something similar. I was on a phone earlier, and being lazy, but here are some examples of what I was referring to when I said that people are willing to interpret events with absolutely zero tether to reality or available evidence. Note, I didn't say that you didn't know what you were talking about. I said you were willing to believe things without any support whatsoever. For example:

--The idea that Linehan and/or Marinelli 'took the reins' from JG in a way that's different from what goes on on any other team in the league
--The idea that Jason Garrett is in inadequate OC, despite the good performance of the offense during his tenure as OC
--The idea that Jason Garrett was ever 'in the way on Sundays' or that he's a 'trash game day coach'
--The idea that his W/L record is somehow a liability when it's actually relatively good, overall
--The idea that he didn't have input into the hiring of his defensive staff, especially his DC
--The idea that we somehow 'stumbled into' a good OL without regard to who we actually drafted, and where we drafted them
--The idea that we're winning games b/c of the running game, and that JG had nothing to dow with the changes there despite everything that was said to the contrary on the topic at the time of the Linehan hire
--The idea that it's the hiring of Will McClay that's made the difference in the drafting and player development under Jason Garrett
--The idea that our offense was ineffective when it was pass happy, and that that led to too many 3 and outs, when it was actually fairly effective his entire tenure
--That Jason Garrett threw a hissy fit in the draft room. Or that he wanted to draft Sharrif Floyd for some reason, when nobody knows what that discussion was actually about
--Or the idea that all a HC does to prepare a team for an NFL draft is what he does while on a web cam for 20 hours the days of the actual draft
--The idea that the problems the team had the prior three seasons were offensive. Moreover that they were related to play calling. Despite the offensive production/series during that time
--The idea that Jerry Jones told Jason Garrett that he's no long running his own offense, which obviously never happened
--The idea that defensive coordinators dictated to Jason Garrett where they wanted the ball to go when he's fielded many years of effective NFL offenses
--The idea that we were slow or lethargic offensively over the last several seasons, when we weren't
--The idea that Jerry Jones had to keep Jason Garrett because of Jerry's ego, and not because he approved of the job he was doing
--The idea that Jason Garrett is a 'horrendous play caller' and that Jerry Jones also somehow thinks that, too

That's just from this thread. And it's not everything from this thread. All of which is completely made up or something you can only choose to believe if you also choose not to look at the actual performance of the offense or the team during the Jason Garrett era. It's unsupportable spin and a negative fantasy. For no other reason than some of you don't want to admit that you were wrong about the HC and about the direction of the team the last four seasons. Thankfully, I don't think anybody but you three or four who are posting it really buys it. Even the rest of the typically-negativey posters on the board are keeping a low profile on the topic. The rest of us are just glad to have a good coach in place and to be looking forward to TC with a team that's deeper and better by any reasonable estimation than the team we fielded in 2014.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The first part of your post is simply the truth, it did evolve and a good portion of the league was utilizing the passing attack more than the rushing attack. Again, I am not arguing Garrett is a great play caller, he's certainly not as terrible as some here say, but I certainly never considered him great; I'm arguing that he was unwilling to run the ball.

I had my issues with the 2013 offensive scheme for other reasons; I wasn't a fan of what Bill Callahan was attempting on offense, The dink and dunk conservative Tom Brady crap went against what Romo is.

Who has been a worse play caller than Jason Garrett? I have never seen a OC scrutinized by so many for his play calling here in Dallas. Garrett was hammered for it. From everyone and anyone. By the fans, the media, former Cowboy players, his own owner. He just cannot escape it. And the end result was the play calling duties getting taken away from him. End of story.

Dodger12

Reaction score

We've been a contender the minute Romo proved that he had what it took to be a franchise QB. I knew we were a contender when Romo took the team to playoffs his first season and won some big games along the way and made some plays. He has "it."

Any time a team has a franchise QB they're a contender. Throw in a franhchise QB and a dominant DE/OLB that may very well be HOF bound and you've got the foundation to build on. I like how we've drafted reccently but Romo is closer to the end than he is the beginning. The fact that we didn't contend more when Romo was in his prime is a sin........

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No taking a team that quite and rebuilding it to the point they are 12-4. Hell Romo himself said those 8-8 teams were not good enough.
Romo said that really? Said what? That they werent good enough to win one more game? Please show me where he said that.

So how did Garrett rebuild it? Lets get to specifics here as you cant seem to pin point anything.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We've been a contender the minute Romo proved that he had what it took to be a franchise QB. I knew we were a contender when Romo took the team to playoffs his first season and won some big games along the way and made some plays. He has "it."

Any time a team has a franchise QB they're a contender. Throw in a franhchise QB and a dominant DE/OLB that may very well be HOF bound and you've got the foundation to build on. I like how we've drafted reccently but Romo is closer to the end than he is the beginning. The fact that we didn't contend more when Romo was in his prime is a sin........

And when were we true contenders with Romo as the QB?

When we had a running game and balance to go with it. When Barber was steamrolling. When Murray was tearing it up. Not rocket science here. And everything in between was basically when Garrett ran the offense.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My opinions are completely supportable and the others on here bashing Garrett continue to put up the facts. The best part is that our owner agrees with us when it comes to the mistakes that Garrett has made. If Garrett was so good at calling the offense then why isnt he still doing it? Go ahead, answer the question? Refute my statement with something intelligent or substantial.

Forgot to specifically address this one. The owner doesn't agree with you at all re: JG's performance and mistakes--obviously--by virtue of the large extension he handed to Jason this offseason.

And Garrett is no longer calling the offense on game days because Jerry thought he'd be more effective freed up to run the other details of the team, and because a play caller with more experience became available after the team moved away from Callahan in that role. I never said that Garrett was 'so good' at calling games. In fact, I've fairly regularly said that he's a really good HC for Dallas despite some limitations in that area. That doesn't mean he's bad at it, or that we have to ignore how well the offense actually performed while Jason was calling games. It only means it was an area where we could improve the team, and I think we did, too, when Linehan came in. Good for us.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is a fair point, given that I called out visionary in this very thread for something similar. I was on a phone earlier, and being lazy, but here are some examples of what I was referring to when I said that people are willing to interpret events with absolutely zero tether to reality or available evidence. Note, I didn't say that you didn't know what you were talking about. I said you were willing to believe things without any support whatsoever. For example:

--The idea that Linehan and/or Marinelli 'took the reins' from JG in a way that's different from what goes on on any other team in the league
--The idea that Jason Garrett is in inadequate OC, despite the good performance of the offense during his tenure as OC
--The idea that Jason Garrett was ever 'in the way on Sundays' or that he's a 'trash game day coach'
--The idea that his W/L record is somehow a liability when it's actually relatively good, overall
--The idea that he didn't have input into the hiring of his defensive staff, especially his DC
--The idea that we somehow 'stumbled into' a good OL without regard to who we actually drafted, and where we drafted them
--The idea that we're winning games b/c of the running game, and that JG had nothing to dow with the changes there despite everything that was said to the contrary on the topic at the time of the Linehan hire
--The idea that it's the hiring of Will McClay that's made the difference in the drafting and player development under Jason Garrett
--The idea that our offense was ineffective when it was pass happy, and that that led to too many 3 and outs, when it was actually fairly effective his entire tenure
--That Jason Garrett threw a hissy fit in the draft room. Or that he wanted to draft Sharrif Floyd for some reason, when nobody knows what that discussion was actually about
--Or the idea that all a HC does to prepare a team for an NFL draft is what he does while on a web cam for 20 hours the days of the actual draft
--The idea that the problems the team had the prior three seasons were offensive. Moreover that they were related to play calling. Despite the offensive production/series during that time
--The idea that Jerry Jones told Jason Garrett that he's no long running his own offense, which obviously never happened
--The idea that defensive coordinators dictated to Jason Garrett where they wanted the ball to go when he's fielded many years of effective NFL offenses
--The idea that we were slow or lethargic offensively over the last several seasons, when we weren't
--The idea that Jerry Jones had to keep Jason Garrett because of Jerry's ego, and not because he approved of the job he was doing
--The idea that Jason Garrett is a 'horrendous play caller' and that Jerry Jones also somehow thinks that, too

That's just from this thread. And it's not everything from this thread. All of which is completely made up or something you can only choose to believe if you also choose not to look at the actual performance of the offense or the team during the Jason Garrett era. It's unsupportable spin and a negative fantasy. For no other reason than some of you don't want to admit that you were wrong about the HC and about the direction of the team the last four seasons. Thankfully, I don't think anybody but you three or four who are posting it really buys it. Even the rest of the typically-negativey posters on the board are keeping a low profile on the topic. The rest of us are just glad to have a good coach in place and to be looking forward to TC with a team that's deeper and better by any reasonable estimation than the team we fielded in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.