News: Bob Sturm: Why I was so wrong about Cowboys coach Jason Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You don't follow. That's ok. Don't worry about it.

Garrett isn't an OC.

Yah, Im going to bow out of the conversation with you. If you didnt even know that Garrett has been the OC here, then the conversation is over.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
See, now you're putting words in my mouth. Never said Garrett's going to be a HOFer - all I said is you need time to know. Garrett is growing & learning and his arrow is pointing up.

It generally takes 3-4 years for a culture to set in. Lo and behold, that's exactly what's happening.

As for Wade Phillips, he has a much larger sample size and had one when he came to Dallas in 2007. He is what he is, was what he was, yada yada.

This really isn't rocket science.

Yah, who cares. 7 years wasted on a learning curve. :lmao2:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In other words, a coach is failing according to whatever criteria you determine is adequate. Cool. Admittedly self-limiting but cool nonetheless.

Me personally, I just have to watch.

For you, since you seem to struggle with trouble evaluating a coach, you could listen to the media, other fans, the owner, and the guy himself to confirm Garrett made many mistakes. And then there is always the record that could clue you in along with the other indicators.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
See, now you're putting words in my mouth. Never said Garrett's going to be a HOFer - all I said is you need time to know. Garrett is growing & learning and his arrow is pointing up.

It generally takes 3-4 years for a culture to set in. Lo and behold, that's exactly what's happening.

As for Wade Phillips, he has a much larger sample size and had one when he came to Dallas in 2007. He is what he is, was what he was, yada yada.

This really isn't rocket science.

But you nailed it on Wade PHillips. He has EXPERIENCE. That is why he was hired. What experience did Garrett have?

Jerry should have let him learn on the job somewhere else for 7 years. Any way you slice it, 7 wasted years was not worth it. Certainly not worth Garrett.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It was a question.

"so are you saying"?

Look. Of all people you're the last person I want to engage in a debate. But you asked when did Carroll or Bill Belichick suck. By your definition that's below 500 ball.

I gave you examples you clearly did not know about when they were at the helm of losing teams.

Can we leave it at that?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me personally, I just have to watch.

For you, since you seem to struggle with trouble evaluating a coach, you could listen to the media, other fans, the owner, and the guy himself to confirm Garrett made many mistakes. And then there is always the record that could clue you in along with the other indicators.
You get all that out of zero criteria I have never provided you about my opinions on evaluating coaches? That's creative.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Look. Of all people you're the last person I want to engage in a debate. But you asked when did Carroll or Bill Belichick suck. By your definition that's below 500 ball.

I gave you examples you clearly did not know about when they were at the helm of losing teams.

Can we leave it at that?

No, I havent defined anything. A couple people on here compared Garrett to Bellicheck and Carroll because the team they coached happen to have mediocre records after 4 years. I dont see any comparison other then the coincidence of the record. For every coincidence you can pull up of a great coach that had a similar record, I can pull up a lame coach. I did it already with Wade Phillips who happened to have a better record.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You get all that out of zero criteria I have never provided you about my opinions on evaluating coaches? That's creative.

How about some simple questions?

1. On a scale of 1-10 give Garrett a rating as a walk around HC last year.
2. On a scale of 1-10 give Garrett a rating as an OC.
3. On a scale of 1-10 rate the job that Garrett did pre-2014 as a coach here in Dallas.
4. Do you think Garrett will develop into one of the best head coaches in the league?

How about we start there. We might agree more then we think.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I havent defined anything.
These are your words:
Nah, you just think Garrett is a great coach, and I dont. I like what he is doing now, but he plum failed prior to this. Those are the facts. Whether you want to look at his record, the play of the team, the reaction of fans, media, his boss, they all point to disappointment. Nothing you say or do can change that.
Perhaps you intended on phrasing it differently..?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okey-dokey.
3. On a scale of 1-10 rate the job that Garrett did pre-2014 as a coach here in Dallas.
4. Do you think Garrett will develop into one of the best head coaches in the league?
"Has" not "will." Visible results are my criteria. Garrett took a team that had surrendered under Phillips and gutted out the season. Inspirational. Garrett did not allow the team to regress while instituting his coaching philosophy. Sustainability. Garrett oversaw the team take a progressive leap forward in prolonged successful player execution. Proficiency. These are qualities which a coach can (and in this case has) elevate the overall play of his team. The answer is yes.
Who knows? There are nights when fighting ceases in the Gaza Strip every blue moon. Anything's possible.

EDIT #1: Added "and gutted out the season"

EDIT #2: Added "the answer is yes"

Last edited:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

You might not like Garrett because he has made some mistakes and yes he needed to learn his job as a HC. And yes, he cost the Cowboys a game or two, but not as many as you might want to think.

But, there is one thing about him. His players love him and will fight their *** off for him and that is all I want to see from a coach.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You might not like Garrett because he has made some mistakes and yes he needed to learn his job as a HC. And yes, he cost the Cowboys a game or two, but not as many as you might want to think.

But, there is one thing about him. His players love him and will fight their *** off for him and that is all I want to see from a coach.

Bingo that is all that matters. All of us will have our own views but when you get down to it the only views that matter play on that team and how they respond to the coaches demands.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Bingo that is all that matters. All of us will have our own views but when you get down to it the only views that matter play on that team and how they respond to the coaches demands.

True...and, some need to remember that you can be the best at what you do, but if you don't have the proper tools (players) no matter how smart you are, you will fail. Well, Garrett has the proper tools now going forward (coaches and players) and from what we saw last year, it seems to be working.

Also, when Garrett took over with all the broken rusty tools he inherited, the team never had a losing season. That has to tell you something right there.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Yah, Im going to bow out of the conversation with you. If you didnt even know that Garrett has been the OC here, then the conversation is over.

I don't mean to put you down and this might be me being out of line so forgive me. But, you post just like our beloved KJJ! lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is a vital element that some observers avoid when critiquing coaches. Regardless of the sport, much of a coach's success or failure depends upon how effective players can produce results or even to what degree their talent can translate efficiently. In the case of football, reducing or totally subtracting a roster's attitude and effort lends itself towards an overall poor coaching evaluation.

Status
Not open for further replies.