News: Bob Sturm: Why I was so wrong about Cowboys coach Jason Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAINFROMUKRAINE

Reaction score

Who said the players love Garrett and fight for him? The players fight and play for the money and their self-satisfaction. Some players are more dedicated and have a stronger work ethic. Garrett is not molding any player to play hard. Please name a few players who were either lazy in college or early in their Pro career that Garrett molded. The Zoners on this site are delusional to think that Garrett is HOF material as a HC. He is our version of Wayne Fontes (HC of the Detroit Lions in the 1990s). Plain and simple. Jerry has propped this clown up just to stroke his ego. Jerry hired him and Jerry will prove to the world that he is the next Sean Payton. Garrett should have been fired after the 2013 Season. Jerry allowed him to coach in 2014 but he stripped him of all his duties. Garrett is only allowed to Clap, have Press Conferences, and Give Motivation Speeches. If Jerry was the Head Coach today, the team would function in the same manner. Jerry would Clap, have Press Conferences, and give Motivation Speeches. The assistance coaches would do all the REAL Coaching. Heck, I can be the Walk Around HC in this scenario and have success.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Oh I am tickled pink, dont worry. Garrett is no longer bumbling the offense and ruining careers here in Dallas. First I prayed for Jerry to fire Garret. When it was obvious his ego wasn't going to let that happen, then I prayed for Jerry to kick Garrett to the curb with the offense and hire a real coach. AND HE DID IT!!!!

Thank the heavens! And oh my god look at the results!!! A power running team, 12-4, playoffs, and instant contender.

I couldnt be happier. I just get a kick out of listening to the Garrett lovers laughably try to act like its all about Garrett coming of age. :lmao2:

Garrett is truly doing what he is good at. Walking around, patting fannies and getting people to like him. Leave the real football stuff to strong coordinators.

Garrett tells great jokes and pats a lot of fannies. That's what I want for a head coach. :lmao:

You don't have a clue if what you think is all he does his stand on sideline and pat fannies then you truly are out of touch with reality. Again you slamming Garrett fine do what you will it comes off a bitter and petty not to mean idiotic. It is stupid comment like yours that is entertaining.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, it is all phrased exactly as I have said it many times. Maybe you chose to interpret it to your liking. Or maybe you pick out one element of a point and try to create an angle.
Dictionaries are not your friend.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, well yah, we are far off.

1. Walk around head coach I give him a 7 for last year. Solid job with what he was asked to do. Clearly got better with less responsibility and he is no longer asked to handle the offense, which he clearly wasnt good at.

2. OC=3 Personally I have never seen anyone so bad or so overwhelmed with a job. He made rookie mistakes for 7 years and made them over and over again. If he was still the OC, I would have concerns he would still me making the same mistakes. 12-4 no way.

3. Pre-2014 These kind of go together. I will give him a 4.5. He seems to have Jerry's ear more then a Wade did, but the OC thing absolutely killed him. As it did Wade. Garrett took over a team that went 11-5 and made the playoffs the prior year that got off to a bad start with injuries. And certainly his horrid play calling attributed to that.

As far as developing or being a great HC it would take more than 1 good year for the team for me to be convinced of this. And certainly a guy that we have already seen has problems handling an offense and makes horrid mistakes in no way can possibly get credit for a one year turnaround. Certainly considering what a huge difference his replacement on offense made to the team and the record. In my mind, more of the credit goes to Jerry and the other people he has brought in around Garrett. And those people that are actually doing the job of drafting the talent and coaching the players on the field and during games. Garrett made a nice choice with Linehan, but it is quite clear that Linehan is way ahead of Garrett as a coach, play caller, and OC.

Garrett was a terrible choice as OC 8 years ago and a terrible choice to be the HC. EVERYyear with Garrett and his learning curve has been a complete waste. This is NOT a farm system for head coaches. Jerry should have hired a real coach with coaching experience and skins on the wall. Plenty were available. Any of 20 head coaches could coach this current team with these coordinators and this talent and make the playoffs. Nothing special at all about Garrett. That has been proven over and over again.
I extremely doubt similar or better results beyond last season will convince you of anything. However, it will be interesting to read your commentary if the team should capitalize on its noted improvement thus far.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't have a clue if what you think is all he does his stand on sideline and pat fannies then you truly are out of touch with reality. Again you slamming Garrett fine do what you will it comes off a bitter and petty not to mean idiotic. It is stupid comment like yours that is entertaining.
CowboyRoy appears tightskinned. I doubt it's necessary for you being so polite. Harsher descriptions would be more accurate.

Primetime42

Reaction score
Who said the players love Garrett and fight for him? The players fight and play for the money and their self-satisfaction. Some players are more dedicated and have a stronger work ethic. Garrett is not molding any player to play hard. Please name a few players who were either lazy in college or early in their Pro career that Garrett molded. The Zoners on this site are delusional to think that Garrett is HOF material as a HC. He is our version of Wayne Fontes (HC of the Detroit Lions in the 1990s). Plain and simple. Jerry has propped this clown up just to stroke his ego. Jerry hired him and Jerry will prove to the world that he is the next Sean Payton. Garrett should have been fired after the 2013 Season. Jerry allowed him to coach in 2014 but he stripped him of all his duties. Garrett is only allowed to Clap, have Press Conferences, and Give Motivation Speeches. If Jerry was the Head Coach today, the team would function in the same manner. Jerry would Clap, have Press Conferences, and give Motivation Speeches. The assistance coaches would do all the REAL Coaching. Heck, I can be the Walk Around HC in this scenario and have success.

This is a troll post, right?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep.

I like this year's candidate of official fad catch phrase, "Walk Around Coach." I think it has a great chance of joining the ranks of past notables such as vanilla offense, camp cupcake, etc.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CowboyRoy appears tightskinned. I doubt it's necessary for you being so polite. Harsher descriptions would be more accurate.

It is a lost cause, the mindset becomes no matter what this team does Garrett is not contributing to it. Unless there is a loss then of course the same folks will lay the blame at his feet.
Last year Dallas lost a total of 5 games in the 12 we won, Linehan did a great job but I noticed when the losses happened it was Garrett offense? Arguing with that mindset is a losing cause.

Peoples minds are made up and come hell or high water it will never change.

PAINFROMUKRAINE

Reaction score

I do not troll. I have been a cowboy fan since 1975.I have seen the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. These are my observations. The truth hurts sometimes. The "Less is More" Philosophy is working for Dallas - "Less Garrett involvement equals More success for Dallas". Personally, I am a big fan of Rod Marinelli and I wish he was the Head Coach. It must be frustrating as hell to work for a Head Coach who has less knowledge then the average football coach.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The players themselves have said it. They think JG is a great HC.
Player testimonials will probably get ridiculed. What seems to hold merit for some are self-eyewitness accounts. For example, team identity collapsed completely during the 2010 45-7 laughter versus the Packers. Some might say they have witnessed the players playing hard for Garrett as head coach ever since the team's identity did a complete 180 degree turn in the very next game, a 33-20 win over the Giants. I think the players' appreciation for Garrett is pretty apparent--if not transparent.

Oh, who am I kidding? Garrett sucks.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

:lmao2:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I extremely doubt similar or better results beyond last season will convince you of anything. However, it will be interesting to read your commentary if the team should capitalize on its noted improvement thus far.

I expect another good season and playoffs. No reason to think otherwise.

The noted improvement has been with the way the offense is being run, the changes in the run game and the game day management. And the talent that continues to be added to the current talent.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I expect another good season and playoffs. No reason to think otherwise.

The noted improvement has been with the way the offense is being run, the changes in the run game and the game day management. And the talent that continues to be added to the current talent.
???

You commented:
As far as developing or being a great HC it would take more than 1 good year for the team for me to be convinced of this.
I stated:
Expectations? You have them. Everyone has them. My statement concerned your being convinced about Garrett as head coach. You know. The guy you keep going on and on about in this thread...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
???

You commented:
I stated:

Expectations? You have them. Everyone has them. My statement concerned your being convinced about Garrett as head coach. You know. The guy you keep going on and on about in this thread...

Yah, we all have expectations. Correct. And your point is what exactly?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
???

You commented:
I stated:

My expectations are because this team has loads of talent, it has a great DC and it now has a good OC that knows how to call a game and implement and stick with a running game. Garrett is now in a place where he can help the team and not hurt the team. My confidence and expectations have nothing to do with me thinking Garrett is a great head coach. In fact, its just the opposite. My confidence comes from knowing that Garrett is no longer running the offense.

My opinion is that this team blossomed last year because Garrett has less responsibilities. You obviously don't agree. With Garrett running the offense all he could do was get them to 8-8. 3 years in a row is complete proof of that. With Linehan in place of Garrett we were 6 games better at 12-4. Now we add more talent to the defense and build on that. Good things ahead for us barring injury.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yah, we all have expectations. Correct. And your point is what exactly?
My expectations are because this team has loads of talent, it has a great DC and it now has a good OC that knows how to call a game and implement and stick with a running game. Garrett is now in a place where he can help the team and not hurt the team. My confidence and expectations have nothing to do with me thinking Garrett is a great head coach. In fact, its just the opposite. My confidence comes from knowing that Garrett is no longer running the offense.

My opinion is that this team blossomed last year because Garrett has less responsibilities. You obviously don't agree. With Garrett running the offense all he could do was get them to 8-8. 3 years in a row is complete proof of that. With Linehan in place of Garrett we were 6 games better at 12-4. Now we add more talent to the defense and build on that. Good things ahead for us barring injury.
Incredible. I posted a reply but deleted it once I saw that you had beat me to the punch. So I gave myself time to read your second reply to my lone statement. Amazingly, you still don't get it.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Incredible. I posted a reply but deleted it once I saw that you had beat me to the punch. So I gave myself time to read your second reply to my lone statement. Amazingly, you still don't get it.

Amazingly, you cant state your point. Give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.