News: Bob Sturm: Why I was so wrong about Cowboys coach Jason Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Regardless of feelings the fact is Garrett has this team believing and working hard to win a championship. Looking at the roster the day he took the HC job mid season to now a lot of changes have been made. After 3 consecutive years of failing to win week 17 games to clinch the east I had my doubts but with a year remaining on his contract Jerry let it play out and this team produced.

I said earlier this year this in my view is a big season for Garrett and his future and how many will view him as a HC. Expectations are high, winning when no one expects much from you is one thing, winning when everyone knows you are legit is another.

This is when it gets good:clap:
I love the NFL and th Dallas Cowboys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parcells doesn't work for anybody for very long given his track record.

In all, the Parcells era was a massive success for the organization. It created more modern philosophies as far as structure of the organization, how to spend cap money, what trades to look for, and how to treat the draft.

The issue for Parcells was that he was old and in reality, I don't think he was ever quite prepared for the fiasco that is the Dallas media along with ESPN and their stalker qualities of the Cowboys. With the Giants, he was beloved and he turned a horrendous franchise into a 2-time SB winner. He went to New England who had never won anything and was beloved for just turning them around. He then went to the Jets and had the media eating from the palm of his hand because the Jets were a moribund franchise.

Things were different in Dallas. As Calvin Hill once said, "if you score 2 TD's in a quarter, Cowboys fans will want 3. If you score 3 TD's in a quarter, they'll want 4. If you score 4 TD's, they'll complain that you didn't do it at the fans side of the end zone."

I think his age played a factor as he didn't quite have the stomach to deal with this like he would have had 20 years earlier. But, the media is completely different in Dallas when it comes to the Cowboys than it was in all of the previous places he's worked.

Wade didn't work because it's the same problem he's always had...he is a great X's and O's guy, but struggles with player development That's a major issue in Dallas because as Parcells once said, it's easy to microwave stars here and they get big heads and stop working hard. The other issue is that Wade was bullied by the press and it only stirred up more controversy and made him look weak.

With Garrett, he has strengths that were weaknesses for Parcells and Wade. He knows how things are in Dallas with the media and the fans and he has no problem staying on a player regardless of the success they have. He also knows how to deal with the press here and nips things in the bud unlike Parcells and Wade. He also has youth on his side and is motivated to go thru the rigors of being the Cowboys head coach every year.

I don't think it has to do with Jerry Jones and meshing with him. I think it has to do with what each coach brought to the table and how well they countered two of the biggest detriments to the organization...they hype that players get after short term success and the circus that the media can create in order to manufacture a distraction to the team.

YR

Terrific description of each coach; however, I think you are underestimating the Jerry part of the issue. Parcells in his prime would not work for long with Jerry. Jerry was on good behavior because was in the process of getting Jerry World built, but he has admitted that he was miserable during the Parcells years. Jerry forced the issue with TO because Jerry had the need to get the focus back onto Jerry and off Parcells.

Wade didn't cause Jerry any issues but Wade destroyed the team mentality. Jerry did make that worse by letting players like Ratliff come directly to Jerry with issues while bypassing Wade.

Many good coaches would not be an option witj Jerry as the owner. Guys like Jim Harbaugh for example. This is what makes Garrett so unique. It is hard to find a HC that is both good and can't function effective working with Jerry.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
LOL.......that Garrett built?

Jerry runs the draft, along with Will Clay.

Jerry is no longer listening to the hapless, finesse Garrett when building his teams. We are all still haunted by the picture of Jones asking Garrett who he should draft years back with our first round pick and Garrett telling him to take Felix Jones. LOL!!!!!!
keep thinking that. proof is in the pudding. under campo, gaily, switzer, and the putz we had awful drafts. under Johnson, Parcells and now Garrett we have had a plan for building the team and using the draft.

jones ran the draft during those other times and he sucked.

record and history speaks for itself. you can claim what ever you want.

Yah, Garret is the all world team builder. Meanwhile our Oline was falling apart and getting old. And Garrett was talking Jerry into drafting a complimentary scat back to pair with our current starter. Garrett initially attempted his own rebuild by bringing in undrafted FA's and light, finesse lineman. Who was that clown he thought was the answer at center? I cant even remember his name.
and those drafts were under coach putz. the putz also said he could make LB Williams into an all world LB. how did that work out for you!!!

and when you don't spend high draft picks on OL men, you get stuck with crap in the market.

would you have any other plans to rebuild the OL. we spent 3 first round picks on OL. never been done in history of the cowboys under jones. never.

Jerry has smartened up over the last 3 years and I give all the credit in the world to Will Clay and some to Stephen. And he certainly smartened up by realizing that having Garrett run the offense into the ground he had to change.
again, records speak for themselves. Jerry with clown for coaches. crappy drafts.

Jerry with good sound coaches good drafts.

but you can spin spin, spin, spin spin as much as you want.

Do you recall Jerry chastising Garrett multiple times on national TV for screwing up and NOT running the ball? "we basically could have taken a knee the entire second half and won the game".

Do you also recall Jerry talking about how the team has suffered over the year living through the growing pains of Jason Garrett?

Garrett basically walks around, pats fannies. Marianelli runs the defense, Linehan runs the offense, and the Joneses and Clay run the draft and FA.

pete carroll is one of the biggest cheer leaders.
Rex Ryan is one of the biggest cheer leaders
couglin has some of the best coordinators on his staff

but garrett is at fault for hiring and expanding his staff to make it better.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Its quite simple. Garrett is less involved in the offense and the game day management, and that, along with better talent equated to instant playoffs and success. To the tune of 6 more wins then when Garrett had his hands in just about everything. Jerry finally got it with Garrett. IF you want Garrett to be your coach, get great coordinators and let him walk around, pat fannies, and keep up the moral.

I guess you just described every head coach in the league that has an OC, DC on his staff. only the ones without one get credit (that is if they are successful). so pete carroll is the biggest cheer leader of them all.

thanks for the clarification.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
He put on full display how bad he was for years.

He always had the team focused and playing hard but he was just in the way on Sunday's.

Nuance. Lost on you. Just like was stated on page two.

Sorry Catch. I know you're a fan of the team, but you're just not big picture. Not a leader.

But you can get there. Some of us can help you -- but I warn you . . . it's a process.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
LOL.......so where were all these Garrett leadership qualities that didnt make a difference the previous 3 years he was head coach? Or are you going to laughably tell me they all of a sudden, miraculously showed up because they finally kicked in?

The run game was 70% of the reason for our increased success and everyone that watched the Cowboys the last 8 year with Garrett in control of the offense knows he was the biggest wussy in the history of football when it came to running the ball.

8 years of watching the running game fade away under Garrett. Then miraculously, the first year he no longer runs the offense we nearly lead the league in rushing and win 12 games?

Waaaaay tooooo much coincidence there my friend.

Garrett is a lion? LOL ahahahahaha!!!!!! Garrett is a fanny patting poser. I would liken him to a baboon. Certainly not a lion. LOL

so all these garrett haters have to cling on is running game. in a game that's more and more passing and rules changed to promote passing. NE lives on passing game. NO the same. most of the top rushing teams in the league stay home and watch playoffs.

but if that's all you got to cling to. then by all means do, because you are falling faster than you can imagine.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
LOL.......what does a Jason Garrett football player look like?

-Rolando McClain?
-Joseph Randle?
-The Kraken?

So if your dream was to have a power running team, then you must have cursed Garrett for the last 8 years he was in control of the offense. You dont find it coincidental that the first year he no longer runs the offense it miraculously happens? Dont kid yourself.

cole beasly, dez Bryant, Orlando scandrick, Crawford, Lawrence, Fredrick, smith, martin...yeah the Kraken

so I guess NO made a mistake by being a passing team and winning a superbowl. same as NE, and Indy and Denver. yeah, what a bunch of idiots.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nuance. Lost on you. Just like was stated on page two.

Sorry Catch. I know you're a fan of the team, but you're just not big picture. Not a leader.

But you can get there. Some of us can help you -- but I warn you . . . it's a process.

I'm just glad we stumbled into having a great O-line so you Garrett supporters have a leg to stand on for a change.

I got sick of watching this clown call plays like he was coaching the 92 Cowboys OLine with Phil Costa.

The guy has no idea how to play guys to their strengths.

Heck our passing scheme still sucks but whatever. It's a stat padder so we're all happy until teams figure out how to get to Romo and we still constantly look for 20 yard routes downfield and hope Romo will bail us out with his feet when they can't get open.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Parcells doesn't work for anybody for very long given his track record.

In all, the Parcells era was a massive success for the organization. It created more modern philosophies as far as structure of the organization, how to spend cap money, what trades to look for, and how to treat the draft.

The issue for Parcells was that he was old and in reality, I don't think he was ever quite prepared for the fiasco that is the Dallas media along with ESPN and their stalker qualities of the Cowboys. With the Giants, he was beloved and he turned a horrendous franchise into a 2-time SB winner. He went to New England who had never won anything and was beloved for just turning them around. He then went to the Jets and had the media eating from the palm of his hand because the Jets were a moribund franchise.

Things were different in Dallas. As Calvin Hill once said, "if you score 2 TD's in a quarter, Cowboys fans will want 3. If you score 3 TD's in a quarter, they'll want 4. If you score 4 TD's, they'll complain that you didn't do it at the fans side of the end zone."

I think his age played a factor as he didn't quite have the stomach to deal with this like he would have had 20 years earlier. But, the media is completely different in Dallas when it comes to the Cowboys than it was in all of the previous places he's worked.

Wade didn't work because it's the same problem he's always had...he is a great X's and O's guy, but struggles with player development That's a major issue in Dallas because as Parcells once said, it's easy to microwave stars here and they get big heads and stop working hard. The other issue is that Wade was bullied by the press and it only stirred up more controversy and made him look weak.

With Garrett, he has strengths that were weaknesses for Parcells and Wade. He knows how things are in Dallas with the media and the fans and he has no problem staying on a player regardless of the success they have. He also knows how to deal with the press here and nips things in the bud unlike Parcells and Wade. He also has youth on his side and is motivated to go thru the rigors of being the Cowboys head coach every year.

I don't think it has to do with Jerry Jones and meshing with him. I think it has to do with what each coach brought to the table and how well they countered two of the biggest detriments to the organization...they hype that players get after short term success and the circus that the media can create in order to manufacture a distraction to the team.

YR

I think there are many truths here, but I think Parcells likes to build things up. He doesn't like to just stick around and ride it out. The challenge for him is taking something that's dreadful and then walking away to the next project, for better or for worse.

He left the Cowboys with a pretty good foundation of building blocks when he left (albeit a questionable transition to the 3-4 defense). He had no control over the next staff to be hired. Unfortunately, Jerry & Co. whiffed on Wade Phillips, but were fortunate enough to find someone with the stomach to build and hopefully stick around and ride it out in Jason Garrett.

I know people hate to hear it, but Jason Garrett's 8-8 seasons are not indicative of what he's been trying to accomplish. The social media, millenial, "instagram" society we live in now is all about instant gratification. I prefer the Garrett model of building a culture and organization that can endure and compete perennially rather than be a flash in the pan and gone from existence like the Arizona Cardinals of a few years ago or any other one-and-done hot team in the past.

All of the Super Bowl champions recently have built up their organizations on certain principles or beliefs and then got the right guy in charge to get the employees to buy in. Seattle, New England, New York, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis. All teams with one voice from the front office to the coach to the players. We've finally got the right combination of that, and ALL of those teams took a while to get where they are. Don't pretend that Sean Payton got to New Orleans or Pete Carroll got to Seattle and it was all 12-4 and deep playoff runs from day one.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That would certainly have been a more plausible reason for an out of the blue 12-4 season then you laughably claiming that Garrett finally got his message across.

Its a fact that the big difference between last year and the other years was the success and dominance of the run game.

Garrett and run game simply don't go together. Anyone that has watched the offense run by Garrett over the 8 years he ran it would know that up and down, backwards and forwards.

And we have all hear Garrett preach EVERY year about running the ball since he has been here. He just wasnt a good enough coach to do anything about it.

Yet MIRACULOUSLY, the FIRST year he no longer runs the offense...............BAM!!!! Instant dominant run game?

Cmon...............give it a rest on Garrett.

Garrett got kicked to the curb and the run game blossomed. End of story. Nothing fancy about those facts.

there is this perception that the key to everything is a top rushing attack. yet

2014 - Jets, niners were top 5 and missed the playoffs. eagles chiefs, were top 10 and both watch dallas play on TV
yet 3 of the 4 final teams were top 10 passing.
2013 - bills, jets, Viking, Commanders were all top 10 rushing teams. watching from home again.
broncos were tops in passing and had a superbowl appearance.

so the notion that strong running game equals a great team is far from reality. the fact is that there is nothing else you garret haters can hang on to so you keep harping on a meaningless stat to prove nothing!!!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm just glad we stumbled into having a great O-line so you Garrett supporters have a leg to stand on for a change.

I got sick of watching this clown call plays like he was coaching the 92 Cowboys OLine with Phil Costa.

The guy has no idea how to play guys to their strengths.

Heck our passing scheme still sucks but whatever. It's a stat padder so we're all happy until teams figure out how to get to Romo and we still constantly look for 20 yard routes downfield and hope Romo will bail us out with his feet when they can't get open.

now you are really struggling with a come back. you are trying to spin and reading what you just posted is a bunch of meaningless pointless drivel.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
now you are really struggling with a come back. you are trying to spin and reading what you just posted is a bunch of meaningless pointless drivel.

I don't know why im even in this thread to be honest so i'll just leave you with this.

Garrett sucks and the only reason he is here is because of Jerry. If not for Jerry he'd be some teams assistant QB coach.

Also, Wade Phillips would probably have a Superbowl because he wouldn't have been hindered by the red one.

I really do hope Garrett keeps giving you suckers a leg to stand on though so you can finally have something to point to instead of his inability to be a positive factor during games.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
If you have no patience for it, then you probably shouldn't engage in the first place. Calling me out with your own fantastical interpretation of what I've actually never said in the first place proves nothing.

As I always say: the posts are there for anybody who wants to lookup the post history. Find some that are in context, and I'll either defend my take or admit I'm wrong. But I'm not going to just let you pretend i'm a revisionist because you don't like being on the short end of the argument yet again.

If *I* were to call *you* out as a revisionist, for example, I'd have an example of a post or several posts where you were specifically revising your argument that I could point to. That way my argument is believable. What you're doing is trying to paint with a broad brush that has no paint on it. And then saying you don't have the patience to find paint. That's fine. You don't want to bother to find paint. Just don't expect the rest of us to sit here and tell you what a great job you've done because you're basically just dusting the walls.

Fantastical. :star::star::star::star:

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I don't know why im even in this thread to be honest so i'll just leave you with this.

Garrett sucks and the only reason he is here is because of Jerry. If not for Jerry he'd be some teams assistant QB coach.

Also, Wade Phillips would probably have a Superbowl because he wouldn't have been hindered by the red one.

I really do hope Garrett keeps giving you suckers a leg to stand on though so you can finally have something to point to instead of his inability to be a positive factor during games.

You're sad, bro. Noticeably absent all season this year too, with nothing to say.

Go get a lift in, work out or something. It's good for your health. Because this internet thing isn't.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

and that is your feeling and your view, not one shared by others. Suckers? please It will not matter what Garrett does you will never change your feeling at this point it useless to even talk about it

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
In regards to record, many people don't understand that the team building side of a HC is about 2 years delayed. In other words it was his team building in 2012 that most impacted 2014.

This is why Wade's teams were good initially and then declined, because Parcell's team building carried over into Wade's first few years.

The same happened in reverse going from Wade to Garrett. It took time for Garrett to build the team mentality back up after Wade had run it into the ground.
Excellen Parcells reference/example.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
and that is your feeling and your view, not one shared by others. Suckers? please It will not matter what Garrett does you will never change your feeling at this point it useless to even talk about it

If we come out with a dynamic passing attack i'll back off of Garrett.

As long as I see us being so basic and Romo dependent then i'm not changing my opinion.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You're sad, bro. Noticeably absent all season this year too, with nothing to say.

Go get a lift in, work out or something. It's good for your health. Because this internet thing isn't.

lol I posted the same amount as always.

Geez you homers really do have a short term memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.